TomArch

Need to register at local police station?

Rate this topic

Hi,

I sought some advice on applying for a short term residence permit before coming out to Turkey. One thing I was told was that I'd need to immediately go and register with the local police station (for me, Izmir). I've looked this up online, however, and the only things I can find referring to the need to do this is to apply for a residence permit. As I understand it, this has now moved online (I have just completed an application and have an appointment date for February).

Can anyone tell me if I still need to go and register with the local police station for whatever reason? A friend of mine from Lebanon had to do this when living in the UK just so that the state knows where he is - would it be the same for me in Turkey? Bit about me: British citizen conducting research in Izmir and currently holding an appropriate visa which expires Jan 2019. Applied for a residence permit so that I can stay beyond the 90 days allowed on my visa.

Thanks for any advice.

I don't think there is such requirement. My Turkish wife had to register at the local Constabulary back when we were first Married ad in the UK.  just got my 3 year Resident visa (temporary one) today and I didn't need to go to the cop shop.

If you are staying with a friend, or at someone's house, you do need to register at the local police station. This has nothing to do with residence permits.

Hotels are required to report to the police who is staying there, so terrorists and criminals have avoided this by staying with others. So the requirement was expanded to those who are keeping overnight guests.

But if it only concerns your residence permit, then there is no need.

Thanks for your reply, I am staying at an archaeological research centre - it is unstaffed so I assume someone has not already registered my presence.

I have a tax number in which I gave the address I am staying at, as I also did when I applied online for the residence permit - I guess these are not sufficient in themselves? 

Please could you tell me if there's a time limit for me to register within? Also, would this be the city/district (Izmir) or local town (Urla) station? 

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for any advice!

Just had a look online about this and it is a bit unclear as to whether I need to do it until I have a residence permit. What I have read says you must register within 20 days of entering with a residence or work permit. I'm currently here on an archaeological research visa that expires end of Feb. I do not have a residence permit yet but have an appointment for end of Feb. 

Would I need to register now (ie within 20 working days of entering the country on my 90 visa) or after I have the residence permit? 

May I ask where you read that? I haven't seen it before. The law I'm talking about is for short-stay renters who aren't in a hotel and staying at someone else's residence. For example, I'm going to Marmaris this summer for 30 days. Because I will be going to a hotel nothing is required, but if I were to rent a room with someone there I would have to register and let the police know I'm staying there. I don't remember seeing any requirement for someone in your situation, but there may be.

Was going off the information here: https://www.expatguideturkey.com/address-registration-system/

Specifically, “Foreigners who arrive in Turkey with residence and work permits obtained from consulates shall register in the address registration system within twenty working days as of the date of entry.”

This doesn't describe me as I didn't enter with a residence permit obtained from my consulate - seems like this is so they know your address when they otherwise wouldn't (same goes for what you mentioned). In my case they have my address from my residence permit application.  

I contacted the DGMM helpline and they said there was nothing left to do, but wanted to make sure as the person I spoke to didn't sound 100% certain! 

When we got a residence for a friend we went to register her before the residency interview and were told that we could not do it until after the interview, (they issue you with a  certificate to show that the residence has been applied for), then the nufus office can register your address.

OK I think I understand now. What it is talking about is registration with the Nüfus ve Vatantaşlık İşleri Genel Müdürlüğü (population and citizenship directorate, usually just called "Nüfus").

Yes, you do have to register your address there. That applies to everybody.

Take your rental contract (or a letter from the archaeological research center which provides their address and says you're staying there), your passport, and the document you will get after your interview to the Nüfus. There's one in every district.

The registration is simple and straightforward. Just take a number and wait until they call you. Then give the clerk your documents, and they will enter you into the system with your address. Then they will give you a A Yerleşim Yeri ve Diğer Adres Belgesi (Place of Residence and Other Addresses Document). You'll get that stamped and signed at another desk, then you'll be good to go. The whole thing takes maybe 10 minutes, not counting waiting time.

You don't have to register with the police.