Sign in to follow this  
colderpolder

Older Buildings and Earthquakes in Istanbul

Rate this topic

My parents bought a place in Istanbul a couple of years ago, but its an older place built around 40 years ago. I know that newer builds have to live up to certain standards but I was wondering if there are any required checks which need to be done on older properties? 

Thanks for the reply. What I was wondering was, in buildings that are not being renovated, is there any check done by a government or municipality to make sure that the building is up to scratch? Or is it only for those being renovated or new builds? 

I talked to a property developer about this some time ago. He said there was a government organization which checks newly-constructed properties to make sure they can withstand a certain level of earthquake. And they charge a fee for doing this, and will do inspections of already-built homes. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the organization. You could probably check with the local municipality, with a property agent to find out who does this.

I wish I could be of more help. In spite of my lack, if you find out what organization does these things, would you mind posting the info here? At minimum I would be able to help the next person better.

My wife was just last week in an Istanbul hospital & was talking to her Doctor in the canteen & ironically a similar conversation to this took place. He said that the Belediye were making checks on some of the very old buildings in the city & demolishing them if they appeared to be unstable or built of a very poor quality.