Sign in to follow this  
MercerMersin

Renouncing Foreign Citizenship for Turkish University Entrance Examination

Rate this topic

This is a bit of a tricky one.  My daughter (Australian born but with dual citizenship) goes to school here in Turkey.  She is having difficulty (in high school now).  Her principal suggested to us that we renounce her citizenship for university exam - she will not need to sit the Turkish exam and instead have an exam in English which will make it much easier for her to pass.  

Has anyone undertaken this (I did see a post from Meral some time ago about this very thing but I can't find it now).  Do we make the application here or in Australia?

Step by step instructions for the stupid (ie me) would be appreciated?

This sounds a bit drastic to me. have you considered university overseas? There are some reasonable universities in TRNC that teach in English, there are also good International universities in the Netherlands and Germany that teach in English and some of these are free.

Both my daughters went through the education system as dual citizens and were treated by the system the same way as single nationality citizens. One has just graduated from university and the other is in the first year. They took the ygs/lys same as the other students. There is a way into university as a foreigner taking the yös, but as far as I know it is only open to people who have had most of their primary and secondary education abroad.

To enter university with yös students have to demonstrate some proficiency in Turkish, the level required is intermediate, not advanced.

Has there been some miscommunication somewhere along the line, or the school head does not know the rules well enough?

Also there is or at least used to be something called a blue (might be another colour) card which records the individual as having many of the rights of a Turkish citizen (residence, education, health) and full citizenship can be restored. I am not sure if this still applies. Meral is the one who knows all about this.

When my older daughter was at school the teachers had all kinds of weird ideas and assumptions concerning here rights as a foreign citizen. Some thought that foreigners had special advantages over Turks (totally incorrect) and others refused to see her as Turkish, despite the fact that she had attended school Turkey since 3rd grade.

I did message Meral, waiting to hear back from her.

The school has suggested this as daughter, despite speaking good turkish, is having difficulty with learning.  They have a few expats who have undertaken university degrees this way and it just means that the pressure is allievated a bit.  Daughter suffers from stress (losing her hair is a main factor and was diagnosed with alopecia areata a few years back).  So we are trying to find a way for her to get into university without the weight on her shoulders.

Sure she could go to school in AU or elsewhere but she would prefer to stay in Turkey.

We are looking at all avenues.

Well, if the müdür has seen it done before he must know what he is talking about. I have no idea how.

Pardon me for raising this, but I am wondering how your daughter will cope with the Turkish university system. There is likely to be quite a lot of exam stress.

May I ask is it a state or private university that you are thinking of? Which subject? And what does your daughter hope to get out of it? Is she thinking of any particular career and qualification? Has she identified a particular university or department that she would like to join?

Hello Janey, sorry I didn't see your message as I haven't been logging in regularly of late, but here I am, thanks to an email from Ken!

Yes, my daughter sat the YÖS exam, but please bear in mind it was nearly 11 years ago, in April 2007, and things may be a little different now because the education system seems to be constantly mucked around with.

Nesrin was 13 years old & knew only basic Turkish when we moved here, & although she got through lise quite successfully, we feared her Turkish might not be strong enough to pass the dreaded University entrance exam, so we opted for YÖS.  She had dual citizenship but to sit for YÖS she was required to give up Turkish citizenship (temporarily) & be a "foreigner" for the duration of studies in Turkey. (A small complication: her Dad had to give up his citizenship at the same time as she was still under 18, but that's another story!)

So she was taken out of citizenship & applied for a Mavi Kart, a sort of kimlik that lets you live here & study like any other citizen but without the right to vote, be elected or do military service (for guys). But I'm not sure if it gives the right to work. You can use the Mavi Kart together with a foreign (eg. Australian) passport to travel freely in & out of Turkey.

That worked very well, but in the end, after having passed the YÖS exam & gained enough points to study her chosen course, she decided after all to study in the UK (we thought Australia was just too far away!)  And both she & Dad re-applied & got back their Turkish citizenship. She got her PhD at age 23 in 2013. Perhaps you might also consider this option for your daughter  (it's probably no more expensive than studying in Australia).

Good luck with it all ! If you have any further questions please feel free to ask....... I will check in again !  Cheers, Meral.

Yes, hubby has Aussie citizenship, otherwise it wouldn't have been possible.  But if your daughter will be over 18,  she can opt out of citizenship on her own (as an adult).  And if she travels abroad for study she shouldn't need a Turkish passport (they are so expensive). Universities in the UK (& likely in other EU countries) are only interested in secondary school final results, not in any Turkish uni entrance exam, so she needn't even sit for that if her mind is made up to study abroad.  Good luck with it all............. :)