Star

Purchace and register the phone

Rate this topic

Hello

First of all, how long could we use our phone without registering it? I remembered it was 90 days on 2015 maybe!

Also, does it mean after that day, we just get the call but could not call, right? I mean it would be one-sided call, right? How about, SMS? Could we use it?

Also, what is your idea about buying an obsolete phone in Turkey and use that cellphone just for calling and message? In that way we do not need to register. Or you suggest for me to register my phone? How much does it cost?

Finally, Which one is better? Vodafone or Turkcell? I had AVEA, which seems to be disappeared!

You may be able to use an unregistered phone for 'up to' 120 days,but many folk have stated they have had their IMEI code blocked at 30 days,so it can be anytime. Once the phones IMEI code is blocked the phone is not usable at all with a Turkish sim inserted.If you intend to register an imported handset the registration process must be completed within 120 days of your last incoming passport stamp.

If you intend to purchase a new or 2nd hand phone in Turkey from a phone shop or private sale where the import tax was initially paid then there is no need to register the handset.

Avea is now part of the Turk Telecom group.

Thanks sir 

Which one do u suggest ? Register or buy an old cellphone? 

Where should I register?

Which one is better? Avea or turkcell?

Star,you only need to register a handset when you initially bring it  into the country,once the tax is paid,it doesn't have to be paid by a new owner if sold on. If you buy from a shop here in Turkey,the import tax will have already been paid.. so no registration is required. Slip in a sim card and use .
If you want a new smart phone many shops like Vatan even Migros & Kipa have deals every now & then.
There are only 2 players out there now as far as service providers.....Turkcell & Vodafone.

Hi again Redders

Actually, I have a smart phone. I want to buy an obsolete cell phone, the one we used 10 years ago! Just for message or phone call. But it seems that registering is a better option.

So, in this case we can use up to 120 days (in normal way) and after that we can register (I mean we do not need to register inside that period) right?

Finally, is this registration valid for 2 years? I read somewhere I am not sure.

Thanks

My friends tell that no registration is required!

They are student and none of them register the phone after 6 months!

I can assure you registration of an imported phone IS required if needed to be used with a Turkish sim card. If somehow their IMEI number has slipped through the net,then they are very lucky.

1 hour ago, REDDERS said:

I can assure you registration of an imported phone IS required if needed to be used with a Turkish sim card. If somehow their IMEI number has slipped through the net,then they are very lucky.

Believe me at least my friend has imported phone and after 5 months they use sim card without any problem! 

Even they got sms mentioned that 120 days but ...

17 hours ago, Star said:

My friends tell that no registration is required!

They are student and none of them register the phone after 6 months!

1 hour ago, Star said:

Believe me at least my friend has imported phone and after 5 months they use sim card without any problem! 

Even they got sms mentioned that 120 days but ...

1 hour ago, Star said:

So are we talking of  ''my friends'' [plural] as stated in your 1st post or '''A friend''  [singular] as in your 2nd post?

6 hours ago, REDDERS said:

So are we talking of  ''my friends'' [plural] as stated in your 1st post or '''A friend''  [singular] as in your 2nd post?

Many of my friends in Sabanci uni. has had the same exprience. I myself had a different experience 2 years ago. My sim locked after 3 months! 

Talk about imported phone