Star

Paying all the rent before inhabiting

Rate this topic

@Ken Grubb

Hello,

I saw a house in Izmir which is somewhat good. The problem is that they want 6 months or a year rent at the time I make a contract.

Thus is somewhat weird for me. For instance, for 6 month rent the monthly rent is 1100 so I shiuld pay 8800 (deposit and comisyon) once!

For a year contract the rent is 1000 and I should pay 14000

Even though the house Is somewhat good but it is not logical to pay all at once. Maybe I want to get out and they say the money will not be returned unless it is really emergency case.

Any idea?

Don't pay any excessive deposit. Landlords sometimes ask for more of a deposit than necessary because they intend to keep it. Also, don't give the deposit to your landlord. Go to a bank and open a joint account with the landlord and put the deposit there. The banks have a special program for this. They keep the deposit until the end of the contract, and after three months (I think) the tenant can withdraw it, unless the landlord presents a court document saying there is a dispute involving the deposit. I have never done it this way, but if they are asking for an excessive deposit, this will make sure you get it back.

Whether you pay monthly or the whole year up front, legally, you owe rent for a year, and it doesn't matter if there is an emergency or not. You must pay an entire year's rent (whether in monthly installments, six months at a time, or in advance. You cannot just move out in the middle of the contract--you rented the place for a year and you owe for a year.

However, if you do, the courts have been lenient on the tenant in the past, as long as the landlord has two or three months rent covered to find another tenant. But that is based on individual judges' decisions, not on the contract, so don't count on it. Even when a rental contract is about to expire, you must give notice that you intend to move out, or the contract will automatically renew for another year.

I know about deposit 

But giving all the rent at once is risky especially for me. I have all the money in dollars and changing all of them might not be economical!

Last time in Ankara I had no problem I rent a house and I pay monthly and after 5 months I left and they pay back my deposit.

I don't know why you said that!

That is a conversation you should have with your landlord. Personally I wouldn't worry too much about it. The exchange rates can go one way or the other. Six months from now, you have an equal chance of having made a decision which is in your favor or not. So what? You'll have a place to live. That is the most important thing.

I am reminded of what American multi-millionaire J.P. Morgan said when he was asked what the stock market will do. He said "it will fluctuate."

So if you do rent the place, don't worry about how the currency fluctuations go. There is no way for you to know if they will be in your favor or against you. Just pay up, live there, enjoy it, and forget about it. Don't worry about what might have been.

The commission that you mention seems excessive. I thought it was normally one month's rent. Does the commission decrease if you take the yearly option with the 100TL cheaper rent? i would try to negotiate the yearly rent at (say 950TL) and pay up front.