Star

Tourist and Student Visas and Residence Permits

Rate this topic

I do not want to make the forum busy with a lot of topics. So, I asked here. Even though, it is somewhat related.

Assuming this : Someone wants to go to the university in Turkey and he should apply. Also, he wants to come, for instance,5 months before the term begins. If he stays there more than 3 months till apply to the university and then for example after 2 months (all in all 5 months) go to the university the goc fine him because of that 2 months without any excuse?

So, it is better for that person to get tourist visa while getting Turkey and then change to the student ikamet, right? Is it possible to change the visa status? (As far as Ken said, it is easy and no problem)

I have another question about the legal and illegal work. Is all of the jobs without insurance considered illegal? I mean if someone (like the person I told above) wants to work for 5 months legally, he should find a employee? Which kind of works are legal?

Thanks all

Someone wants to go to the university in Turkey and he should apply. Also, he wants to come, for instance,5 months before the term begins.

You can only come to Turkey as a student on a student visa. After you arrive with a student visa, you can get a student residence permit. You cannot come on any other kind of visa, then get  a student residence permit with another kind of visa. Student visa, student residence permit, period.

If he stays there more than 3 months till apply to the university and then for example after 2 months (all in all 5 months) go to the university the goc fine him because of that 2 months without any excuse?

You can stay as a tourist on a tourist visa, for as long as the tourist visa allows. But you cannot apply to a university for a student residence permit while in Turkey on a tourist visa. You must apply to a university from your home country, get a student visa, come to Turkey, and get a student residence permit.

If you are in Turkey for any amount of time without a valid visa or residence permit, you can fined.

So, it is better for that person to get tourist visa while getting Turkey and then change to the student ikamet, right?

By student ikamet you mean a student residence permit. It is not possible to get a student residence permit unless you first enter Turkey with a student visa.

Is it possible to change the visa status? (As far as Ken said, it is easy and no problem)

I didn't say that. You cannot change from one visa type to another. You can, however, change from one residence permit type to another. A visa is permission to enter the country for a designated period of time, after which you must leave. A residence permit is permission to live in Turkey on a permanent basis.

You can also enter Turkey with a tourist visa any time you want, then leave, then return with the student visa and get a student residence permit.

I have another question about the legal and illegal work. Is all of the jobs without insurance considered illegal? I mean if someone (like the person I told above) wants to work for 5 months legally, he should find a employee? Which kind of works are legal?

Feel free to open a topic on that in the Working in Turkey forum, since that question is about working and not about residence permits. :)

16 minutes ago, Ken Grubb said:

You can only come to Turkey as a student on a student visa. After you arrive with a student visa, you can get a student residence permit. You cannot come on any other kind of visa, then get  a student residence permit with another kind of visa. Student visa, student residence permit, period.

Ken,

Isn't it unusual?!! You mean that if I come to Turkey and stay 3 months and then extend it for about 2 months (assuming I get tourist ikamet) and get admission from the university, then I could not go to the university and I should leave the country? It seems I misunderstood! I think I can go to the university but after the expiration of the tourist ikamet allowance, I should change it to student one.

When I say visa, I mean resident permit! Yeah, that is not correct

Please clarify me.

You could come to Turkey with a tourist visa. Then get a short-term residence permit. Then go and enroll in any university you want. But you will have a short-term residence permit, not a student residence permit.

You cannot change the short-term residence permit to a student residence permit. And I don't see why anybody would want to, anyway. The student residence permit will expire when your studies at the university end. Then you would have to apply for a short-term residence permit if you wanted to stay after you finish the university.

Keep in mind that the student residence permit is designed for foreign students to apply to a Turkish university (while in their own country), come to Turkey, attend courses at the university, and then go back to their home country. Foreign students on student residence permits often stay in a dormitory on the campus as well. Not always though.

But nothing is stopping a foreign resident, with a short-term residence permit (not a student residence permit) from signing up for university courses and getting a university education while they are living in Turkey. For example, I live in Turkey now. I have a short-term residence permit which I renew every year. If I to go over to Akdeniz University and say "I want to go to attend classes here and earn a university degree," they wouldn't throw me out, I'd be in the next available class and they'd give me a diploma.  But I would have a short-term residence permit while I was going to the university.

So you cannot come to Turkey on a tourist visa, and apply for a student residence permit while already in the country. You would have to meet the requirements and apply for a short-term residence permit, then go to school with that.

Sorry for the confusion. :)