GrahamN

Procedure for Lost Ikamet

Rate this topic

Well it finally happened - one of us (my wife) has lost her Ikamet card. She had it in her hand going through customs leaving Ataturk Airport on July 17th. Two weeks into a two and a half week stay in the UK we realized it was missing. As we were not carrying it around over there we are sure it must have been lost at Heathrow or Ataturk Airports. So we contacted Heathrow lost property, (returned to Istanbul on 3rd August) Turkish Airlines lost property, the Airport lost property and finally the Police at Ataturk (where important documents that are lost are supposed to end up). All to no avail.

So today we obtained a Lost Property Report from the Police station in Uskudar - the first question the Turks always ask is "Where did you lose it?" Well if we knew where we lost it we probably wouldn't have lost it in the first place. 

The added complication is that 3 days after coming back we moved house. If we go to the Kadikoy Goc Idaresi and request a replacement without telling them we've moved they are going to send it our old address which will be a potential disaster in terms of finding where it ends up. If at the same time we say, by the way we've moved can you change our address I guess they will want to see another notarised contract (can anyone confirm?). We can't register at the Nufus Mudurlugu without the new Ikamet (I can but not my wife). At least we can do utilities with my Ikamet.

If anyone has any experience in lost Ikamets please share - e.g. apart from the Lost Property Form is there anything else needed? What fees do they charge?

Graham Nelson

This may vary depending on the requirements in your particular district . But the norm is...

You will be able to get another card without any major problems, but the costs will be 63tl for a new RP card & 50% of the annual tax cost for the relevant RP ….extra required paperwork ,passport photocopy +  2 photos.. new Nufus letter etc,  may be asked for.

My wife first tried to go to the Kadikoy Goc Idaresi but was told you have to go to the main Fatih one. So she went today.And it appears to be a haven of tranquility compared to the chaos of 6 months ago. No queuing, in and out within about half an hour including paying the extra fees. She said there are notices all over saying stuff is handled online now and you post renewals using PTT - like it was 2 years ago. This ties in with what a friend in England told me yesterday. Whilst on holiday in England he tried to book appointments for his whole family only to end with it asking him to send his applications in by post via PTT (to arrive within 5 days of course). Only trouble is he is not back for another week !

If at the same time we say, by the way we've moved can you change our address I guess they will want to see another notarised contract (can anyone confirm?).

From what I was told in Antalya, you only need to register with the Nüfus in the new location and get a printout from them to prove your change of address. Was it that way for your wife?

he tried to book appointments for his whole family only to end with it asking him to send his applications in by post via PTT (to arrive within 5 days of course).

Was that for a renewal? For renewals it can all be done by applying online then sending documents by post (even though I have been hearing that some places want even renewals to be done with in-person appointments).

It sounds like it turned out okay for you and your wife. Glad to hear it!

Ken

The problem was that we couldn't register the change of address at the Nufus because she didn't have an Ikamet. What we decided to do was simply go through the Ikamet replacement process on the old address, allow the PTT to attempt delivery at the old address (3 miles away), rely on their SMS msgs to give us an idea of when it is happening and prompting a neighbour to ring us if a PTT sticker is left on our old door and then go to the Acibadem PTT where I believe they are held. Then with a new Ikamet in hand and my one do the Nufus registration together for the new address. You're supposed to do this within a certain time of moving or you get a fine but I'm not sure how much leeway there is. Last time they wanted to see a utility contract in my name and the first bill which could mean a wait a month at worst.

Are we supposed to register our change of address at the Goc Idaresi? I never did last time we moved and just put a new address on the next online application without any problems. With the total chaos at Fatih I just don't know how you would have got anyone to bother doing an address change. But now, with it being calmer it is something that could be done easily.

Regarding my friend and his renewals, about 2 months ago he tried for a renewal for one of his children and was given a date bang in the middle of his UK holiday - of course there's no choice of date. So he abandoned that and tried book renewals for all of them last week only to find it was asking him to post stuff in via PTT which it hasn't been doing in Istanbul for the past 18 months. Unfortunately his Ikamets expire about now so he will need a tourist visa to come back in and will have to apply as first timers. At least that will enable him at last to get the 6 members of his family all aligned on the same date. 

Ahh, I got it now.

Are we supposed to register our change of address at the Goc Idaresi?

As I understand it, if it's within the same province, you just register your new address at the Nüfus. If you're moving to another province then you have to also report it to the DGMM, because they will need to issue you another card.

I think you have been in Turkey for a while considering how you handled the situation. It is often best not to complicate anything and let things run as they usually do!

Sorry to hear about your friend, I didn't realize that they didn't allow a choice of dates. I wonder if that only applies to family residence permits, or only to Istanbul, or both.