Jump to content

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Dear all,

I want to come izmir and study in izmir economy university if my tuition fee waived. It will be announced at the end of july. 

First of all, how does izmir look like? Is it suitable to spend my two years there? I was accepted for the financial economics at ieu. I want many information about it. Especially the students there could help me.

Would u please help me. I am also married. Please give me any useful info

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coup didn't affect the city...Izmir is and always will be a staunch opponent of the AKP.

 

But I digress...Izmir is beautiful & a nice place to study.  Its on the coast, has a moderate climate & very European.

It's more common to find a flat/apartment than a house in Izmir.  Unless you have a money tree (a magic tree that gives you money lol)...it's very expensive to have an independent house.

Balcova is a nice area.  I have friends that live in the area.  Guzelbahce to the West is close & Goztepe to the East as well.  Nice open area with natural thermal areas etc.  Very nice area for a family.  Plenty of things to do as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Fener,

Actually I do not want an independent house. I just want to be sure that I and my wife could stay anywhere for instance flat/apartment. Your house would be an independent one in apartment, right?

How much does it cost?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks

And, how much does it cost? Actually, how much does it cost to live there as a student? Could anyone find a job there? There is a new rule stating that the students could work for about 20 hours a week.

Best

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The people are very cosmopolitan, looking at its history as a former Greek city and large sailing port, Izmir has been used to hosting many nationalities for hundreds of years. It also has several large universities and used to have a large NATO base.

Night life is great but, as in all cities, you need money to enjoy it.

It is a very dynamic place and a great place for young people. public transport is good and relatively cheap. The ferry network helps to keep people moving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Merhaba

It seems that Izmir is a really good choice.I am a middle-class married student. I wait for the ieu scholarship. I dont know about the job opportunities there.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excuse me,

Are there a lot of cockroaches in the balcova or other areas of the Izmir? I want to know this, whether I should have a plan for it.

I mean inside houses

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are cockroaches in most Turkish cities. To a large extent it depends how clean the previous occupiers were, how clean you and your immediate neighbours are, and the age of your building. There are good products on the local market (but you need to take care if you have young children). I would not be overly concerned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've found a surprising way to stop cockroaches. I figured that Turkish apartments are basically concrete cubicles with no way for cockroaches to get in except through a hole somewhere. So I went to a do-it-yourself store to the plumbing section, and got some rubber drain plugs. I started keeping the kitchen sink, bathtub, and bathroom sink drains plugged at night, and the cockroach problem completely went away. They can't get in any more.

Back to the main topic... Izmir is an excellent place to go. Probably the two best cities in Turkey to be in are Izmir and Antalya. You will enjoy Izmir.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a chance that I did not see any cockroaches in Ankara!!! I even forgot that something like this really lives in world!

NOOOO i am concerned

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At least they're small here. I've seen them in some places in the world where they were over two inches long, and could fly! :oooh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Ken Grubb said:

I've found a surprising way to stop cockroaches. I figured that Turkish apartments are basically concrete cubicles with no way for cockroaches to get in except through a hole somewhere. So I went to a do-it-yourself store to the plumbing section, and got some rubber drain plugs. I started keeping the kitchen sink, bathtub, and bathroom sink drains plugged at night, and the cockroach problem completely went away. They can't get in any more.

Back to the main topic... Izmir is an excellent place to go. Probably the two best cities in Turkey to be in are Izmir and Antalya. You will enjoy Izmir.

Thanks Ken

You mean this picture? Just close at nights?

567.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ken Grubb said:

At least they're small here. I've seen them in some places in the world where they were over two inches long, and could fly! :oooh:

Woooow

The biggest ones in South Carolina Ken. Your country! East coasts

Oh my god. They are may be 4 inches!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only one airport for civilians. The other is a military airport. There are both domestic and international terminals but it is the same airport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IbrahimAbi said:

Only one airport for civilians. The other is a military airport. There are both domestic and international terminals but it is the same airport.

I do not exactly know when I will come there. But, I want to know whether there is bus or metro (which is absolutely cheaper than the taxi) in the adnan airport that I could go somewhere in Balcova.

I will come to the registration in 5 September. I don't know where I should stay to spend less money. Then I should go to Adapazari to spend a few days in my wife's brother's house then return back there.

I also should rent a house since the dormitory does not plan to give room for married students.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is an airport bus HAVAS which will take you to the city centre, from there you can get a bus to Balcova. If you do not have accommodation arranged when you get there you will be better staying in a cheap hotel in the city for a while anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, IbrahimAbi said:

There is an airport bus HAVAS which will take you to the city centre, from there you can get a bus to Balcova. If you do not have accommodation arranged when you get there you will be better staying in a cheap hotel in the city for a while anyway.

You mean in the city center the hotel or hostel is cheaper than balcova!?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×