amanda kb

visa overstay and another issue

Rate this topic

This is a little bit of a crazy happening.  I arrived in Turkey 4 years ago.  I had a job at a school in istanbul and they did not offer a work visa.  That was fine with me.  I thought I would only stay one year.  then after two years I moved to İzmir.  my visa was to be renewed but ı did not have the funds to do it, so I let it lapse.  My thought was that I would save the cash and leave for some time and then come back after a year or so.  

now the visa is over by two years and I am working as a private teacher and money is low. as in so low that some days I cant afford to eat.  

I had a friend that moved to izmir and we took a flat together.  Now that the school year has ended , he left without paying me back for the 3 months rent I paid and he also didnt pay for the June rent.  the landlord was sympathetic to the situation but now it is July and I still owe for June and now July.  so here are my questions.

1.  about the rent... is there a way that I can legally extend my time to pay?  I mean should I have a friend explain in Turkish to them that I have lost most of my students due to the summer and ask them to let me pay like as much as I can each week?  what are your thoughts on that working?  they are very nice ppl...

2.  seeing as how I have no family back in the states ( raised in foster homes and set out on my own a few years back) I have no one to ask for money help to get out of here... so could I like go to the embasy and tell them that I have overstayed and they send me back to the US?  will they allow me to take my things with me?  will I be arrested? could I ever come back to Turkey if I do this?

thanks in advance for the help even though it is bad all around and I am at a loss every day on what to do

Hi Amanda, welcome to Turkey Central. You seem to have broken all the rules and now it's time to pay the price. You can get a Turkish friend to talk to your landlord, if he is sympathetic and you are very lucky you might get some time to pay what you owe.

The overstay on the visa is much more serious, when the authorities find out you will definitely be banned from returning for at least five years, whether they will send you back and whether they will allow you to take your things I don't know.

Cukurbagli, you said 'when the authorities find out you will definitely be banned from returning for at least five years'... are you for certain on this or is that a guess?  I mean.. I have read thru this site and see that others have had very long overstays and it seems that the 5 years thing is for ppl who have really done some way out bad stuff.  And it also seems that is the max time they will ban... so again  I am asking are you like for sure this is the time frame because you are a police officer or have a friend that works with this kind of thing?  I am not trying to sound mean but I want to get answers, not opinions.    

also, I read somewhere on this site that there is a way to pay a fine when you return to your home country.  Does anyone know if that is true?

A friend of mine was banned for overstaying a few months, 4 if I remember correctly, she hadn't got the money to pay the fine (260 lira) so was banned. Having lived here for 14 years I know of many more who have had problems like this, occasionally they get away with a fine and because they have the money to pay they are not banned. It all depends on the immigration officer who you deal with, is he feeling good today or not? You might be lucky but I seriously doubt it.

You can pay a fine at the Turkish Embassy in your home country. Make sure you get notice of the fine in writing.