angelaturkey

Crooked emlak in Old Town Side

Rate this topic

I visited my good friends Melike and Kemal at Onen Turkish Delight shop in Old Town Side today. They asked me if my 2-bed apartment was still for sale at £40,000 - - I said Yes it is - - so they offered to introduce me to some friends of theirs who had an emlak just after the little mosque - on that same side of the street. They took me there but the Turkish emlak did not speak English and his Dutch wife - who does speak English - was with another customer. So she asked me to wait 5 or 10 minutes.

She was just chatting to the other customer about his holiday and the weather and such like and left me sitting there like a lemon for a good 10 minutes. When she finally saw me, I gave her a slip of paper with my mobile, email address, price of the property. etc but she just said HUH! This looks like a shopping list! All the other emlaks I have given a similar paper to have thanked me and even joked that I am doing their job for them. 

I then asked her what her commission was. She said it was 10%. I told her Kaya Homes only charge 2% and some of the other emlaks 3% but I have never ever heard of anybody else charging 10%. She said Listen Listen Listen to me! So I did. She explained that I would be paying No Commission but she would charge the buyer an additional 10% cost on top of the £40,000 I wanted for the property. I told her that was just not on and it was dishonest. All the other emlaks I have approached have it on for £40,000 and that is the only price the buyer should pay. All the others only charge 2% or 3% commission. Then she shouted They Are All Liars!!!! What a b*tch she is. I then took my paper with the details from her and left, saying I would never sell through her or her husband and would advise my friends not to either.

Has anybody else on this Forum ever had dealings with this emlak or anything similar happen to them? crying.gif

Surely if you leave the property with her there is nothing tio stop the buyer buying the same property through another agent that charges a smaller commission. Most buyers will ask the commission before they start looking seriously.

Oh Ibrahim - if she had been at all polite - then maybe I would have left my contact details with her - but really and truly - I have never in my life met such an impolite person - so NO WAY am I giving her my apartment to sell.  Have you ever heard of anybody charging 10% on top of the asking price in Turkey anywhere????

Actually I have read several posts where foreigners have related that they discovered that the purchasers had been charged more than the price they had asked for, and more than the agents had declared the sale price to be. It is disgraceful but there are many sad stories revolving around property transactions in Turkey. I wish you well with yours.

It is appalling how you say so many emlaks resort to this tactic.  Thank you for your good wishes.  Angela x

My MiL passed away 3 months ago, leaving a small flat in Ankara which has just been sold (sale finalized yesterday).  The emlakçı normally charges 2%, but since he's a long-trusted agent of my SiL, agreed to take only 1% and in fact took less than that, rounding it down from 1340 to 1000 lira. 

I'm amazed the sale went through so smoothly.... all parties concerned met at the Tapu office on the day, signed forms etc, then returned later.  The new tapu was issued to the emlakçı, everyone proceeded to the bank from where the buyers had applied for a loan, and the money was immediately transferred to the accounts of the 3 beneficiary siblings.   And all within 4 days of the buyers committing to the sale!   Back home this process would have taken at least 3 months! 

The only catch  was, the bank refused to credit the funds to the beneficiaries' current accounts at other banks, so they were obliged to open new accounts at that bank to pay the money into..... good way to (forcefully) attract new customers ! :D 

Sounds like you had a good experience clothespeg, the only bit that sounds dodgy is the behaviour of the bank at the end. i am sure that it is not legal to insist that you open a bank account in their bank. i hope that you transferred it and closed the account immediately afterwards on principle.Congratulations on the sale.

That's what I thought too IbrahimAbi, I guess they just didn't want the money they lent to the buyers to leave the bank (it was Garanti),  and I doubt it's legal.   They were all talked into having a term deposit for a month, the bank thereby ensuring the funds would stay for at least that time, but Hubby will close his account after that, when he gets back home.

All I could think was  ...... well, this is Turkey (after all) ! :D 

You can close the term deposit any time that you want and all that you lose is the interest for the month. I have done it several times