Cukurbagli

Renewal website problems

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

This week I completed the renewal for my Residence Permit (RP). I had a little bit of "fun" with the RP website, so I thought I would tell you about it. I live in a village near Kaş in the Antalya province and we here are very lucky that we have a DGMM office right in the middle of Kaş so don't have to go far for help. 

While I was filling in the form online I found that entering my house address became impossible when one of the drop-down fields would not allow me to enter the relevant information. I was not in a hurry to get the application finished because my RP does not run out until mid May so I just waited till the next day and tried again. It still didn't work so the next day I went to the DGMM office in Kaş to see what could be done. The two guys in the office there are extremely helpful and we had a few laughs but even they could not make the website work so the result was that "sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, keep trying". I went back home and tried again and it worked! So if you have the same problem just keep trying.

Ken Grubb and IbrahimAbi like this

The exact same thing happened to me. But it's because my apartment doesn't exist! Apparently each apartment building is registered, as well as each individual apartment. I live in apartment 14, on the top of the building. But I could only select from a drop-down menu up to apartment 13. There was no apartment 14 as far as the DGMM system was concerned.

I looked at my utility bills and for some reason they also had me living in apartment 13.

I went to the Citizenship and Population Directorate (Nüfus), and found that they also had me in apartment 13. I showed them my contract, which said I was in apartment 14. They would not change it, saying that apartment 14 was not legally registered as a residence!

Went to my landlord who was gracious enough to help me sort it out. Some employees of his went with me to the Nüfus, with plans in hand. They were trying to convince the Nüfus lady that it was a duplex--two apartments on different floors, a duplex? Anyway she didn't buy it and still refused to enter my apartment into the system.

Then the two guys were asking me if I wanted to move instead. But I could have exactly the same problem in the next place for all I know!

So I went to the Antalya DGMM. Friendly and helpful as always, like you said, Cukurbagli. I salute them. The immigration rep said that this is actually a rather common thing. He said that if the Nüfus says I live in apartment 13, then I live in apartment 13, for all they care. He suggested that when I get the text message that my new residence permit is on the way, talk to the people in apartment 13, and let them know that the package will come to their address, and send the PTT guy to my apartment.

As I was leaving, he said he really appreciated my honesty, and he wished all foreigners were so honest about where they actually lived. Apparently a lot of foreigners lie about it, or are rather cavalier about reporting the correct address.

I got his business card so if anything goes wrong, I will know exactly who I spoke to (highly recommended).

So now I am waiting for that text message, letting me know my residence permit is in the mail. Hopefully I won't have to move or get deported! :o:lol:

Have you tried to insure the contents of your apartment or anything like this Ken? When we insured our house (through Garanti Bankasi) they entered the details and asked if we lived in #16, #16A or #16B. All were shown on their system. #16 is our house, #16A is our woodshed and #16B is our garage. Amazing that all of these are on they system. 10 years ago, when we moved in, the house was #40. That is what is shown on our car papers and anything legal. the local Belediye or someone renumbered everything a few years back.

Ken Grubb likes this

I think the reason for the problem is because I live in an apartment on the roof of a preexisting building, which was never properly registered. Seems to be a rather common situation here.

I haven't tried to insure anything.

I was also amazed at how all residences are registered in such detail!

My building address has also changed. From what I heard (not verified), it's because of the big earthquake they had in Istanbul several years ago. The government decided to assign official numbers to all buildings, so if emergency response was required, the authorities could respond to the exact building requiring the emergency response. My building, for example, was reassigned from building number 47 to building number 23.

Unfortunately, there's still a big placard on the front of the building which says "47." While the government attached a much smaller sign saying "23" to the building over the entrance. Unfortunately, the entrance is at the rear of the building!  Thankfully the building also has a name, named after, I think, the father of my landlord. Delivery people also ask for the name of the building as well as the number. So I also always add in the comments of any online order that the building is across from the Ankaralı Bakery, in the same building as the Marmara Cafe. Then they can find it.

When I was in Kaş, my address included the words "PTT Arkada" (behind the post office)!

5 hours ago, Ken Grubb said:

.....When I was in Kaş, my address included the words "PTT Arkada" (behind the post office)!

Yeah 6 or 7 years ago before the new numbering system was brought in here the RP people (police then) in Kemer wanted a utility bill to prove my address. I took an electricity bill, the only bill with address, but unfortunately all it said was "Çukurbağ Girişte Sağ Tarafta" "On the right side at the entrance to Çukurbağ".... the police had a big laugh about that.

Ken Grubb likes this

Our electricity bill simply says my name, the name of the village and 'Duplex ev' we are not the only two story house in the village either.

The numbering stories remind me of the time in Kuwait in 1990 when the government intoroduced comulsory civil ID cards. Everyone had to go and register. Many streets in Kuwait at that time did not have names. We were fortunate, we lived in an apartment which was on the corner of two named streets in Salmiya. Off we went to our appointment. Surprise, surprise, the government database could not find the apartment block. Eventually they asked us the name of a our janitor. 'Ahmed', where is he from? 'Somalia' Ah, Ahmed the Somali, now we know.

Card was duly issued we lived in the block supervised by 'Ahmed the Somali'

Ken Grubb likes this

At least locally, my address seems to be known as "where the foreigner lives!"

IbrahimAbi likes this