Criss

How can a man divorce when his wife is opposing it?

As salamu aleykum, good evening everybody.

I have been doing some research on the process of getting a divorce but I can't seem to find clear information regarding it so I thought to try my luck here and see what advice I can get.

The story goes like this: I am a convert Muslim (not sure if it matters to anybody but I just want to say I take religion very seriously) and I am interested in marrying a Turk who is still married but have been living separately from his wife for couple of years and they have a 8 years old daughter. She is refusing the divorce and he is telling me it will take a long time to actually divorce her but he wasn't able to tell me just how long. They don't have properties together so their sole connection is their child. I am trying to figure out how long can this process of getting a divorce (when the wife is opposing) may take because I will be 35 years old this year and I don't think I can wait for another 3 years (I saw some people mentioning the 3 years period).

So, what is your oppinion, can he get a divorce in maximum a year (I am willing to wait a year but not longer than that) or will it last longer than that for sure?

Thank you in advance for your time and may Allah bless you all, Ameen.

Walikum Asalam Criss. I am not a family lawyer but can share with you my experience. In Turkey definitely a divorce takes a longer time if one of the partner wants to delay. I guess it could stretch anywhere between 2-3 years.

I would like to share with you my Soap Opera, it might sound amusing.. I am married to a Turkish lady since several years. Unfortunately due to our differences plus an on going situation my travel abroad was restricted from the country of my residence with the result we drifted apart. I heard recently that she went to another country and managed to marry a gentleman abroad as polyandry isn't legal in Turkey. The funny bit is that we both are still legally married in Turkey and our marriage stands registered in Turkey. What i mean to say, If there is a will then definitely there is a way :glare:

DIVORCES ARE MADE IN HEAVEN - Oscar Wilde.

14 minutes ago, Silkroute said:

Walikum Asalam Criss. I am not a family lawyer but can share with you my experience. In Turkey definitely a divorce takes a longer time if one of the partner wants to delay. I guess it could stretch anywhere between 2-3 years.

I would like to share with you my Soap Opera, it might sound amusing.. I was married to a Turkish lady for several years, unfortunately due an on going situation my travel abroad was restricted. I heard recently that she went to another country and managed to marry a gentleman,while legally our marriage is still intact and registered in Turkey. What i mean to say, If there is a will then definitely there is a way :glare:

DIVORCES ARE MADE IN HEAVEN - Oscar Wilde.

Thank you for sharing your story and I am sorry to hear what happened to you. I don't understand why the marriage law was made in Turkey in such a way that one of the spouses might end being forced to stay married, it makes no sense to me. I don't want him to leave Turkey because he has to be there for his daughter and I would never agree to him leaving her behind (I adore my father and every girl should grow up with her father around). 

2-3 years...that is so long...I guess I have to think about it really well, weigh the pros and cons and make a decision in the end.