Ken Grubb

More Incirlik Alley Photos (It's a Ghost Town These Days!)

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

While I was staying in Adana, I went to Incirlik Alley, which is just outside Incirlik Air Base. It's normally a very busy place, with local Turks selling anything that can be sold to military personnel. It also has a lot of bars, discos, and restaurants. The Alley currency is the US Dollar (Turkish Lira is also accepted, of course). It its heyday, the shops, bars, and restaurants were open until 2:00 AM, and were sometimes quite crowded. Unfortunately because of the recent threat condition, Incirlik has been in lock-down for about a year and a half now, so the local merchants' customers have completely disappeared.

I wanted to see what the Alley was like these days. Practically everything is closed. Most of the old places were there, like Incirlik Coin, Copper Ali's, Smiley's Disco, Falcon Bar, Moonlight and Royal Restaurants, Great Wall Chinese Restaurant, and Woody Woodpecker Furniture. All closed with their interiors collecting dust.

Here are some photos I took of The Alley as it is today.

incirlik-air-base-entrance.jpg

The Entrance.

abes-carpets-incirlik.jpg

Pop's Leather and Abe's Carpets.

blue-angel-bar-incirlik.jpg

I remember Blue Angel Bar, Paris Leather World has appeared since I was there.

cheers-disco-bar-incirlik.jpg

Spent a lot of time at Cheers myself.

copper-alis-incirlik.jpg

Everybody who has ever been to Incirlik knows Copper Ali's!

deja-vu-bar-incirlik.jpg

Deja Vu Bar, which appeared a few years after I left Incirlik back in 2006 or so.

deja-vu-disco-incirlik.jpg

Deja Vu. I could swear I have seen this before.

falcon-bar-incirlik.jpg

Falcon Bar. One of my other hangouts. They had fantastic chicken wings.

great-wall-restaurant-incirlik.jpg

The Chinese restaurant, Great Wall, had a chef from China. The food was excellent. I heard they relocated to Adana. I couldn't find it, my friend said he thought it had closed. If you're in Adana and see it's still open, go there for the best Chinese food around.

huglu-shotguns-incirlik.jpg

The Huğlu Shotgun Shop. Military people would often buy fine Turkish shotguns, often engraved with their names on them. The shop also has a partner in Texas which has a federal firearms license, so they can mail the shotgun to them, and have them forward it to the customer. A great shop with a great reputation.

And they're still open. And serving tea. :)

If you're interested in buying a shotgun in Turkey, here is their contact info:

Çukurova Av ve Spor LTD. ŞTI
Yeni Mahalle Atatürk Caddesi No: 39/A
Incirlik/Sarıçam/ADANA

Tel: +90 322 346 7182
Web: www.curkurovaav.com.tr

Here are some shots (no pun intended) of the interior.

huglu-shotguns-incirlik-interior.jpg

huglu-shotguns.jpg

incirlik-alley.jpg

Not much going on at Incirlik.

incirlik-alley-2.jpg

incirlik-alley-3.jpg

Now there's a supermarket there for those living in the apartments in the village.

incirlik-alley-5.jpg

Great Wall Chinese Restaurant.

incirlik-coin.jpg

All the military guys used to get their unit "challenge coins" made here. They also make fantastic plaques and shadow boxes for retiring military personnel. I am sure they still do that, it's just their walk-in business that has suffered. The door was still open and there was somebody there.

moonlight-restaurant-2.jpg

I ate many a meal at the Moonlight Restaurant. They were popular for hail and farewell lunches.

rooster-patches-incirlik.jpg

Rooster! Rooster's patch shop is still open, and Rooster's still there. He remembered me as soon as I walked in. The Turks have an incredible ability to remember someone they've met before, it's uncanny.

rooster-patches-incirlik-2.jpg

Rooster's patch shop interior. He can make any kind of patch imaginable.

royal-restaurant-incirlik.jpg

The Royal Restaurant was also a great place to eat.

woody-woodpecker-furniture-incirlik.jpg

If you needed any kind of furniture made, Woody Woodpecker could do it. You could just show them a page from a catalogue and they could reproduce it at a much lower price. Because of the relatively high weight allowance US military personnel had, they would often have furniture made at Woody Woodpecker and then ship it back to the states when they left.

yellow-star-carpets-2.jpg

And for carpets? Go to Yellow Star. Well, not now of course.

I went there couple of months ago, I wanted to have a lunch at moonlight but it was closed, once I have tried there and loved it, it was an unfortunate to see they are all gone.

Ken Grubb likes this