Visit Visas for OH Family & Friend

Rate this topic

tefl85

Hi all - I hope you are well. 

I will be having a Marriage Blessing this year here in the UK as I really did not have the wedding I wanted in Turkey. My husband is here on his Spouse Visa and should be able to apply for ILR next year. 

My parents would like to invite his parents and younger sister (16 years old) over for the occasion. My in-laws are both retired. They own land, property and a car. My questions are:

1) My parents have said they are willing to provide accommodation for them so they can attend the event. But they have never met. Is this a big fat no?

2) My in-laws will have to be financially responsible for themselves. Is there a ball park figure they need to meet?

3) I am looking to sponsor my friend from Turkey to come over. My husband and I live with my husbands cousin in his house. I pay for nothing other than my phone bill - will this go against me?

4) My boss paid me for the last 2 months in cash but I put this directly in the bank. Will this have an effect on the application?

5) For 2 months my wages went into my bank and then straight out again due to expenses for the event but now everything is paid for. By the time my friend applies I should have around 8K in the bank. Will it go against me for having £0 in the bank for pretty much 2 months? I can provide receipts etc for the event to prove where they money has gone.  

TIA. x 

1) My parents have said they are willing to provide accommodation for them so they can attend the event. But they have never met. Is this a big fat no?

It is not a no. I think it would actually be expected, and the Turkish family would go out of their way to host your parents if the situation was reversed. And I don't see any other drawbacks to it. Probably the main thing is that Turks, when they have a guest, they go all out to be hospitable in every way. The concept of "if you see anything in the fridge you like, help yourself" is completely unknown. Whereas in the States (and I think also in the UK), guests are treated more like a member of the family rather than an VIP. So you might want to make sure your Turkish in-laws understand that the customs are different.

2) My in-laws will have to be financially responsible for themselves. Is there a ball park figure they need to meet?

I don't know about UK visa laws, but in the US, the main thing they want is some evidence that the visitor will return to their country and not stay permanently. For that reason, all visitors are presumed to be coming permanently, unless they can prove otherwise. If they own a house, have a business, various other assets, familial ties in Turkey, all of that would be strong evidence that they will return to Turkey, so all of that is a plus. As far as a money amount, I don't know of any.

3) I am looking to sponsor my friend from Turkey to come over. My husband and I live with my husbands cousin in his house. I pay for nothing other than my phone bill - will this go against me?

So you are sponsoring your friend to go to the UK, while you live with your husband's cousin in Turkey? And your phone bill is in Turkey or the UK? And why would your phone bill have anything to do with it? I am not getting this question. :)

4) My boss paid me for the last 2 months in cash but I put this directly in the bank. Will this have an effect on the application?

I am not getting this question either. Are you asking if having a lot of money in the bank for yourself will improve the chances of your future in-laws coming to the UK?

5) For 2 months my wages went into my bank and then straight out again due to expenses for the event but now everything is paid for. By the time my friend applies I should have around 8K in the bank. Will it go against me for having £0 in the bank for pretty much 2 months? I can provide receipts etc for the event to prove where they money has gone.

I don't know. I don't think they normally concern themselves about such amounts of money, they just want to be sure that the people visiting have enough to live on so they won't get a job and work illegally (another indication that they intend to stay and not return).

I wish I could be of more help, most of the information I have pertains to the USA, I am only assuming that it is similar in the UK. Probably the best thing to do is contact someone in UK immigration, by visiting their website and using their contact info. Or see their frequently-asked questions page. Or do a search on their website. :)