Rate this topic

Trying to find out basic insurance requirements for Turkey. I've bought a place out in the mountains near Bayramiç and at some point down the line will need to buy a car. What are the insurance requirements for a yabancı-owned car? Not easily finding info in a web search. The new home is way out in the boondocks and just being used to drive once a week to the market 20 km away, so just looking for the minimum requirement. I'm American- will they look at my US insurance history at all for determining rates? 

Car insurance rates are pretty simple. they will not look at your US record (which may be a good or bad thing!). The premium depends on the age and model of the car, age or driver and the area that the car is registered in. For a foreigner the area of registration must be the area that your residence permit is issued in.

You can earn no claims discounts as years go buy. there are two types of insurance, the compulsory 'zorunlu traffic sigorta' and fully comprehensive which covers damage to your car and generally covers road traffic breakdown recovery too . this is called 'Kasko'. Kasko premiums generally depend on value of your car and it's age, and area of reg.

To give you a vague idea, I recently insured a 2000cc VW CC, 211 HP, Zorunlu cost me 450TL and Kasko 1450TL

I hope that this helps

yes, that helps a lot, thanks! 

so if I understand correctly.... the zorunlu is compulsory (and covers damages/medical for the other driver if an accident is my fault), and the kasko isn't compulsory, and may or may not be worth it on a beater car that's being driven minimally in an area where there'd be no roadside assistance anyway. : )

You got it, in most areas of Turkey roadside assistance is readily available and quite cheap by western standards but you would need to speak Turkish. At one point we needed assistance and it was dealt with in English by the lady at the end of the phone. As my wife was alone at the time we were impressed that the insurance company receptionist called back to make sure she got home ok. IMHO well worth the money on any car.

Yearly. The prices I quoted are last year, the Kasko has increased quite a lot this year as the government has put a cap on the compulsory (zorunlu) insurance and the insurance companies are trying to claw it back on the kasko. This year the zorunlu was 573TL for the same car for the whole year.

It does depend on the province where you register the car. If you are a foreigner I think the plates must reflect the province of your residence. istanbul and Ankara are more expensive than other areas. If you drive there you will see why!!!