THY

Registering a cellphone in Istanbul in 2017.

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Hey Fellas,

I hope all are doing good and feeling happy and safe with new year arrival. I have a question. I have brought a cellphone in Turkey in December 2016. I wish to get it registered but I am not sure of what is the procedure and where to go. I did some research on internet but could not find answer to my question. As far as I understood there are two steps; 1st being paying a tax in a tax office or a bank and then going to our network provider (Vodafone, Turkcell or Turk Telekom) and pay a certain amount and show the receipt of tax we paid at the bank and then they will register our device IMEI. Is it true? Does it work like this or I am a bit deviated?

Please help. Where to pay the tax in Istanbul and then what next to do?

Regards.

If you bought the cell phone in Turkey, you don't have to register it. That's only for foreign cell phones. Just take your cell phone to a TurkCell or Avea or whatever brand's shop you like, where they sell the sim cards. Buy a sim card and have them put it in and set you up. It will work instantly, and will not be blocked at any time, ever.

hey ken,

you probably have misunderstood; i purchased a phone outside turkey and brought it here now. I wish to register it with Turkish authorities so my IMEI does not get blocked after a certain period of time.

What should I do in this regard?

Oops! Sorry. In that case, have a look here:

Registering a foreign cell phone in Turkey

The only complicated thing about it is that you have to find one of the network provider's main stores, which has a communications center in it. You can tell it's one of them if it has communications antennas above it. The regular shops can't do it.

Take your mobile phone, the tax receipt from the tax office, and your passport with you.

Once you get it done, would you let us know the current tax and fee for registration for 2017? That way I can update the article.