Sign in to follow this  
Simmo

Visa violation and Ikamet Issues

Rate this topic

Hi, I'm a Malaysian. I came to Turkey in 28th July and left on 28th December this year. I don't need a visa to enter Turkey but I did overstay by two months because of residency application issue. I'm engaged to a Syrian in Turkey, we live in Gaziantep. I applied for a short term residency in Gaziantep in August but got an appointment on 16th December, my fiance ensured me it's okay to overstay while waiting for the ikamet appointment. On the day of the appointment, the Goc Idaresi employee told me that he couldn't accept my papers ( I've prepared all the necessary) because he is going to reject my application, and that will be a trouble for my future application unless we can get married within 10 days then he can help (my fiance has a work permit in Turkey, but I am not sure we can get married in Turkey), The reason he gave was the short-term residency in cities near the borders of Syria such as Gaziantep, Antakya, Sanliurfa and etc will only be granted to Syrians. He advised me to leave the country and pay the fine at the airport and they will not issue any entry ban and I shall able to enter the country and apply for the ikamet within 10 days in other cities that are not close to the Syrian borders. I double confirmed with the officer at the visa violation office and he said no ban will issue. But I have reservation about his answer. So my questions are as below:

(1) How can I find out for sure that I'm not banned for a certain period to enter Turkey? 

(2) Can a Malaysian and a Syrian get married in Turkey? 

(3) How to resolve the ikamet issue? 

Any answers or suggestions are greatly appreciated as I'm waiting anxiously in Malaysia, counting the days I can get back to my fiance. Many thanks in advanced. 

You could phone the 157 helpline and ask for information from them regarding your RP application.

I personally cannot  see why you could not be married here.

As regarding your overstay period....This taken from the DGMM webpage...

Q...Will any punitive action be taken against those who exceed the durations of visa, visa exemption, work permit or residence permit for more than ten days?

A...An entry ban order will not be issued against the foreigners who exceed the duration of visa, visa exemption or residence permit for more than ten days and arrive at the border gates to exit before a removal decision is taken against them.