Sign in to follow this  
canpak

Registering a Foreign Marriage, Info Needed

Rate this topic

Hello,

My partner will be coming to Canada in a few months and we are debating as to whether it will be simpler to legally marry in Canada then register our marriage in Turkey afterward or wait until our actual wedding in Turkey and legally marry over there. I've looked up the marriage process in Turkey and it appears I will need to get my birth certificate sent back to Pakistan for authentication then get a notarized translation of that, a statement-in-lieu of notice  which must also have a notarized translation (to prove I have no impediment to marry) from the government of Canada which additionally requires I provide a certified true copy of my citizenship card, landing document, and a statutory declaration to the Canadian government, medical check up results from a doctor in Turkey, passport and photocopy, and 6 passport sized photos. In Canada he and I just need to provide our passports as ID in order to get married, he has no extra requirement despite being a foreigner/visitor in Canada.

What I'm curious about is if he and I legally marry in Canada (which seems so much simpler), what do we have to do when we go to Turkey to have our marriage legally registered there as well? What do we need to do to get our marriage recognized/registered in Turkey? He's a Turkish citizen and I have dual nationality in Canada and Pakistan if that provides any useful information. Also, since I'll be moving to Turkey I will need to apply for a family residence permit, so do I apply for that before getting our marriage recognized in Turkey, or after? Additionally, he will be going back to Turkey a year before I come there for the wedding. Would he need to register it as soon as he gets back? And if he does, do I need to take further action once I get there? I can't seem to find any information about this scenario in English online. If anyone can provide some information I would be grateful. 

i do not know the exactly answer. But base on my experienced marry with turkish citizen :

*what do we have to do when we go to Turkey to have our marriage legally registered there as well?

answer : After marry in canada go to turkish embassy there for Report your marriage. This is a must, otherwise you will get block when make ikamet. And register it before 30 days after marry.

İn my Country The want : Both of us national id, marriage book (include The copies), my birth certificate also we need to fill some form.

it just take few hours.

*so do I apply for that before getting our marriage recognized in Turkey, or after?

answer : İkamet has some Option, as you marry with turk so family RP is The Option.

if your marriage already register in Turkey System, For insurance is easier than you apply alone. And more cheaper if your husband has SGK.

you also no need prepare $$$ x12 month For financial proof here as long as your husband work in here.

*Would he need to register it as soon as he gets back?

he can not register his abroad marry in here ( may be can but it is difficult, because they probably will say you need register in turkish embassy canada ).

before he come, better he email or contact his embassy in canada for asking what kind of documents he need to bring. Because few years ago my husband bring some documents from here. And Second day in my Country we visited his embassy For Report he will marry . And they took that documents and gave us other documents that we used it For prepare our wedding in my Country.

but System may be change also The regulation. Better ask directly to his embassy in canada.

so sorry For my poor English.

happy wedding Canpark