FenerEniste

Weapons: shotgun, long barrel, or rifle in Turkey

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Maybe a tricky one here.  So I know you can probably get shotguns no problem in Turkey.  As of the last time I resided there (2006), shotguns were good to go.

I'm interested in a rifle or 2 for hunting & a shotgun or 2 for the same (and home defense) :D  I heard anything w/a long barrel is good to go.

Last time I checked, handguns were a no go (although there are many manufacturing companies making quality weapons in country now).

http://www.sarsilmaz.com.tr/en/

I'm hoping an expat or 2 can chime in on this...given the current political situation in TR currently...

Thanks.

Phil

My info is kind of dated. I was at Incirlik back in 2005, and shops sold shotguns to people stationed at Incirlik, but they had to put them in the armory and send them back with their other personal property when they went back to the States. I talked to a guy at a gun shop in Çeşme back in 2008 who told me that foreign residents couldn't buy rifles or shotguns. I don't know how accurate this info is. If I knew of a gun shop around here I would go and ask.

Ken,

Thanks for the info.  I'm sure my wife would be the person buying them...hint hint.

I guess the next time I'm in town i'll have to ask around.

I just found a place not too far from where I live. I'll stop by and ask.

I went to the gun store and asked the guy if I could buy a shotgun or rifle as a foreigner. He said no. Then I showed him my residence permit and explained that I was a legal resident. He said he wasn't sure about it with legal residents. I think he has never had a legal resident buy a gun there. He recommended I go to the police station and ask them. I will look in to that later. Great store he had. Even had a few high-quality switchblade-type knives (not like the cheap ones from Mexico). Like a Gerber with a spring-loaded blade. Apparently they aren't illegal in Turkey, at least he said they weren't. So I bought one. :)

Silkroute likes this

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 6:00 PM, Ken Grubb said:

I went to the gun store and asked the guy if I could buy a shotgun or rifle as a foreigner. He said no. Then I showed him my residence permit and explained that I was a legal resident. He said he wasn't sure about it with legal residents. I think he has never had a legal resident buy a gun there. He recommended I go to the police station and ask them. I will look in to that later. Great store he had. Even had a few high-quality switchblade-type knives (not like the cheap ones from Mexico). Like a Gerber with a spring-loaded blade. Apparently they aren't illegal in Turkey, at least he said they weren't. So I bought one. :)

Ken, thank you for the info!  I love those Gerber Automatics!

http://www.gerbergear.com/Knives/Automatic

I wonder if the prices were cheaper than retail?

http://www.gerbergear.com/Knives/Automatic/06-Auto-Drop-Point-Fine-Edge_30-001295

that's the one I have over here in Afghanistan at the moment.

The one I bought wasn't a Gerber, it was a CRKT. Wood handles, can't find it in their online catalogue. Only cost 70 TL. I stopped by the tourism police at the harbor yesterday but they were closed, I was there pretty early in the morning. There's another police station somewhere around here, I will give it another try with my current level of Turkish! Sometimes I have trouble understanding them. For example I asked my housekeeper yesterday if she wanted me to get her a carton of yogurt. She went off on several very-fast spoken paragraphs I didn't understand. I asked her to repeat and she spoke faster and louder. Finally I just asked "do you want me to get you a carton of yogurt?" and she just said "evet." That was all I wanted to know!

OK an update on this. I had to go to the Göç İdaresi Genel Müdürlüğü (Directorate General of Migration Management, or DGMM) today, and there are always Turkish cops manning the entrance.

First I went to a shopping mall to get a sub sandwich from Subway (one of my regular breaks from Turkish food). When I went in, I put my brand-new knife in the tray before I went through the metal detector. "Yasak!" the guard said. He said my knife was too big, and illegal, and he wouldn't let me in with it. So I picked it up and left. I figured I would just put it in my backpack and, since they don't really do thorough searches of backpacks, go back in through another entrance. But as I approached I could see the guard at the other entrance was talking on the radio, and taking furtive glances at me while trying to not be obvious). I know the behavior, and knew I was burned. And I walked out again, and still hungry, went to the DGMM.

When I got there, I talked to the cops, pulled out the knife and asked "is this knife illegal?" The cop manning the metal detector said yes, it was illegal. So I gave it to him. We chatted for a while and I explained that I was a former policeman. He said "usually I would take this from you, but when you come back I'll give it back. But it is illegal." He was extending a professional courtesy.

I asked him and another cop there. "As a legal foreigner, can I buy and own a rifle or a shotgun?" The other one said "Do you want to carry a handgun?" as he pointed to his own. I said yes, that would be nice, but I am just asking about having a rifle or shotgun in my house. He said that I needed to go to the main police station, and apply for a permit. If they gave me one, then yes, I could have a firearm.

Now I don't know how much these two knew about the firearms laws. Or if there was even a snowball's chance in hell that the main police station would actually give me a firearms permit for any type of firearm.

But I did ask the question for you, and that is what happened. When I walked past the entry control point, I had intended to just leave the knife, may be one of the cops would end up with it, which was fine by me. But the cop who greeted me saw me and called me over, and handed it back to me.

On the ride back, I gave the knife to the taxi driver.

IbrahimAbi likes this