Yasmin & Suse

Buying Property in Alanya

Rate this topic

I am constantly thinking to get out of work and go free to early retirement. 

Everyday this thought is getting closer to reality. I visited Turkey twice. The first time was to Istanbul and the second was in Antalya. I didn't really like the idea of living in Istanbul. It is expensive, and it is a huge city. I live in London and am tired of it. My second visit was to Antalya, last September, together with my daughter who is living in Copenhagen. I had an agreement with an estate agent in Antalya, to show us some of his listed properties. But he was not honest man, and tried to cheat me from the first moment. However, I did not like Antalya much. Big tall buildings are not my cup of tea. I want to live close to the sea, in family, semi-vibrant neighborhood, not more than 3-4 stories buildings, and not far from the city centre, shopping, public transportation, health and hospitals, and an international airport.

I did some research and think now that Alanya or close to it is more of what I want. I have not clear idea yet since I have not yet been there. I am thinking to travel directly to Alanya in the first quarter of the next year, to view some properties. I  would appreciate it if anybody could help give me an idea about the best things to do.

If I come to Alanya and like some of the flats I am going to view

• Where is the best to look for a flat with sea view?
  • Should I buy or rent first?
  • What is the best way to deal with the estate agencies in there, and all that related stuff (in mind, I am a sole woman)?
  • How can I avoid being cheated and ripped off?

Where is the best to look for a flat with sea view?

Near the sea of course, but of course that would depend on the height of the building too. So it could probably be most anywhere, since Alanya kind of stretches out along the sea shore. I like Alanya and I always look forward to visiting it, the beach is always nearby, and are fantastic, with sandy beaches instead of pebble beaches.

Should I buy or rent first?

I would recommend renting first, because what seems like a great place might not seem so great after you've been there for a few months. Plus it will give you a feel for the city.

What is the best way to deal with the estate agencies in there, and all that related stuff (in mind, I am a sole woman)?

How can I avoid being cheated and ripped off? 

I think the best way is to get to know some of the local expats, and get recommendations. Typically in any town, certain estate agents develop a good reputation with the foreigners there. The only thing to look out for is those who are helping you to get a commission from the agent, since estate agents will often pay a commission even to a foreigner who brings in a customer who buys. It will take some time to get around and get to know the local expats, so don't be in too much of a hurry. If you rent for a year, you'll have plenty of time to learn who is who, and which agents are trustworthy.

I really appreciate your advice. I also think that I should get rent first in different parts of Alanya, but I am also thinking that the property price in Turkey is going high fast, and also rents. A bit worried about the property prices. Since I started to think about getting a place nearby the sea in Turkey some years ago, the property prices has gone so high, despite the economic & political upheavals in Turkey.

Another thing, do you have an idea whether there are differences in the property price if I do my property search from inside turkey. I know things are much clearer when I am actually there, on the ground, and not by the internet shopping. My little bad experience with the estate agent in Antalya, makes me a bit scared.

It also depends on exchange rates, which can offset any rise in property prices.

Another thing, do you have an idea whether there are differences in the property price if I do my property search from inside turkey. I know things are much clearer when I am actually there, on the ground, and not by the internet shopping.

There may be. Prices given to foreigners in any case are sometimes higher. If you use the newspaper listings, those are primarily directed towards Turks. And different estate agencies may sell the same property for different prices. If the owner of the property says "I want to sell it for 150,000 TL," the property agent can think "I can sell this for 175,000 TL" and make an automatic 25,000 TL profit. Another agent might do the same, but for a different markup. At the same time, either selling agent will get a 6% commission as well. I don't know that this happens all of the time, but I do know it happens some of the time.

I do not know how much time you can spend in Turkey but it is a good idea to avoid estate agents altogether and walk around the areas looking for signs that advertise "kiralik" (for rent), or "satilik" (for sale). make some phone calls. You will need help here if you don not speak good Turkish. Also web sites like www.sahibinden.com will also help you understand the correct prices for various areas.

Remember that places are only worth what someone is prepared to pay, not necessarily what the vendor is asking. Places that have been on the market for a while may be open to lower offers.

You are welcome. My wife and I retired early to live here a few years ago, we love it. Another thing that I would recommend you avoid, that is buying "off plan" unfinished apartments. They often do not get finished, or to the agreed specifications. Then getting electricity, habitation certificate and deeds becomes a nightmare.

Living in Turkey is truly a dream for most of us down here. I was once involved in the property business in Istanbul. In my opinion 2017 onward will be a buyers market around Turkey. The other day I learned from a friend in Istanbul that she picked a 2+1 apartment in Beilikduzu for $35,000 USD. Three years back this particular unit  was going for $60,000 USD. Ken and Ibrahim advised you well. First try renting an apartment some where in Alanya and get the feel. I have experienced living in Antalya for a year. Winters get quite slow and a bit depressing as i would say, well it all depends what sort of life you're into.

Thanks for the advice. I am also thinking that the property price in Turkey will be at end affected by the overall situation. Until now the price was only going upward, amazingly and against all expectations. I really hope to find somewhere affordable for me, also because I am going for early retirement with very little private pension. 

Your advice, Ken's, and Ibrahim's, to rent first, seems the one I am going to follow. My daughter also says the same. She knows how emotional I am with a place nearby the sea. She tries hard to slow me for more wise decision.  I will try to be more wise and less emotional.

That's the reason I decided to settle down in Izmir.  You can get a nice "suburban" property away from the congested city center.  Plenty of choices around the different districts.  I am probably very biased though, since I lived there prior and my wife is an Izmir'li.  It boasts an international airport (Adnan Menderes), easy drives via highways.

Tip:  Check out the Kemalpaşa, Bornova, Seferhisar, Urla, Guzelbahçe areas.  If you're feeling the views from the hilltop life...Teos. if you have money to burn... Çeşme.

Buyers market indeed. $1 = 3.32 lira. All the 34ers are moving down to the 35 area

I really appreciate your response to my question and the information you giving me is valuable, as I am getting hesitant every time I hear some negative scary news about robbing the proceeds of my entire life. By the way I put Izmir on my head now too, in addition to Alanya. I hope to find a nice flat somewhere suitable for my budget and small retirement income.

all the 34ers are moving down to the 35 area

"34" is the license plate that people from Istanbul have. "35" is the license plate people from Izmir have. So when he refers to "34ers" it's Istanbullians. When he refers to "35 area" that means Izmir.

I am getting hesitant every-time I hear some negative SCARY news about robbing the proceeds of my entire life.

OK here is a quick guide.

Rent first. Get to know the local expats. Talk to them. What property agents are bad or good, they will tell you. Second, NEVER pay cash up front. Yes, you'll need to pay like a 10% or so deposit to take the property off the market until the whole sale goes through. Pay the rest only when you have the tapu, or property deed, transferred into you name. Generally, most people have lost money by not following such procedures, and trusting somebody with ALL of their money too fast. There are other tricks, but mainly people get cheated because they trusted somebody and didn't follow the normal procedure.

I'm not a lawyer, or a property agent, but I'll do what I can to help you not get cheated. And I work with a lawyer here in Antalya who gives me advice (I can give you her name if you want). So if any issue comes up let me know, I'll call her, or you can call her yourself.

And by the way, I don't get commissions from ANYONE. I thought about it since it would be a way to make money, but it would be a bad idea, since I don't want to taint the reputation of Turkey Central. Anyway, I'll help you any way I can.

On 11/17/2016 at 10:02 PM, Ken Grubb said:

"34" is the license plate that people from Istanbul have. "35" is the license plate people from Izmir have. So when he refers to "34ers" it's Istanbullians. When he refers to "35 area" that means Izmir.

Yep, exactly.  I apologize Yasmin & Suse. I was under the impression that you had known the 34/35 plates.
I worked w/NATO under the US flag for 2 years & I absolutely LOVED Izmir.  So much that I married an Izmir local & now have relocated my family from the US back there.

Izmir is a gem as its not over packed w/tourists (even during the summer) like places further down the Aegean/Turkish Med.  You can find nice places outside of the city, especially if you are looking for a low budget property.

I frequently go on this site & check out what's on the market: https://www.sahibinden.com/en

Remax, Caldwell Banker etc are the mainstream property sellers & are internationally know.  I'm extremely fortunate that my mother-in-law is a real estate agent & will be looking out for my best interest when the time comes to make my purchase.

I see you saw the sad story thread...just be careful

I see, Now I know bit more about the numbers in Turkey, thanks.

I must admit that you are really luck. Work for NATO, under US flag, and your mother in law is a real estate agent! No envy at all, of course.

I am an academic doctor from Middle East background have lost many members of my family to the wars that intending to change the face of the ME region. NO more talk is better. Thanks for your assistance.

Well, I found your topic accidentally while browsing the internet. As a person of Middle Eastern background yourself, I would recommend another destination for real estate investment which is Bahrain. It is worth thinking of, Bahrain, as you may know, is a small island in the heart of GCC region and it is safe, peaceful and politically stable. 
When it comes to doing business, Bahrain has many freehold areas where you can buy any type of property, and prices are way softer than Dubai market, plus it offers high price growth potential. If you want to take a look, there are many property listing websites where you can check the price average and the types of properties. I would recommend Weetas properties website as I dealt with those people. Anyway, I would like to say that Turkey is also a nice country to check, I am just proposing the option. Shedding the light on a new area that would sound nice. Forgot to say that Bahrain government grants permanent residence to foreign property owners as long as the property is worth more than BHD 50,000, which is around USD 120,000. 

Hello,

There are many choices at Alanya for buying property. And value of estates/property changes due to its location and condition  but nearly for every budget there are a solutions. 

Best regards.

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 14:53, Abu Zeid said:

Well, I found your topic accidentally while browsing the internet. As a person of Middle Eastern background yourself, I would recommend another destination for real estate investment which is Bahrain. It is worth thinking of, Bahrain, as you may know, is a small island in the heart of GCC region and it is safe, peaceful and politically stable. 
When it comes to doing business, Bahrain has many freehold areas where you can buy any type of property, and prices are way softer than Dubai market, plus it offers high price growth potential. If you want to take a look, there are many property listing websites where you can check the price average and the types of properties. I would recommend Weetas properties website as I dealt with those people. Anyway, I would like to say that Turkey is also a nice country to check, I am just proposing the option. Shedding the light on a new area that would sound nice. Forgot to say that Bahrain government grants permanent residence to foreign property owners as long as the property is worth more than BHD 50,000, which is around USD 120,000. 

1 BR studio apartment 33,499 BHD = $90,000USD

https://bahrain.weetas.com/en/properties-for-sale/property-sr1107-perfectly-situated-studio-apartment-for-sale-in-saray-tower.html

vs
3 BR villa in Dalyan 39,856 BHD = $106,000USD

If you're really feeling adventurous...Turkish Rep of Northern Cyprus is wonderful as well.
2 BR villa (beachfront) BHD 29, 378 = $78,272USD

Comparing Izmir vs Manama:
Izmir is 35% cheaper than Manama

Comparing Antalya vs Manama
Istanbul is 42% (insane) cheaper than Manama

Though Bahrain seems like a nice place...the value for money (especially for pensioners/retirees) doesn't seem economical.
Whereas, Turkey and Cyprus boast excellent value for money...housing is cheap, public transportation is cheap, food is cheap etc.

18 hours ago, IbrahimAbi said:

Beer is cheaper in Turkey than Manama, but you get a better choice of food in restaurants in Manama

But at a significantly higher price point.

I usually travel through Dubai, UAE 3-4 times a year & good Lord its expensive!  I lived a while in Doha, Qatar as well...it's kinda cheap, but not like Turkey cheap.  You also cannot buy beer in any store in either place.  You can only go to a hotel, or a restaurant attached to a hotel & you can imagine just how expensive a beer is ($20 per isn't unheard of!).  If you're an expat you can get a ration card to purchase from a distributor...its such a pain in the a**.  At least in Turkey I can go to the corner store, get a 6 pack or go to the kordon & have a few at the pub lol.

We visited Bahrain and Dubai quite frequently during our 14 years in Kuwait. When you are living somewhere like Kuwait or Saudi, you do not question the prices during a weekend of R and R. Turkey seemed like a paradise to us then. I remember looking for my neighbour here, about 2 hours before flying back to Kuwait. When I found him he and the wife were sitting at the lakeside at the bottom of the garden frying the fish that he had just caught over an open fire for lunch. That was an image that stayed with me for many years. we had it all wrong with our life styles and values. I still see him now, we gave him 8 crates of apples for his cows the other day.

On 4/14/2018 at 04:04, FenerEniste said:

1 BR studio apartment 33,499 BHD = $90,000USD

https://bahrain.weetas.com/en/properties-for-sale/property-sr1107-perfectly-situated-studio-apartment-for-sale-in-saray-tower.html

vs
3 BR villa in Dalyan 39,856 BHD = $106,000USD

If you're really feeling adventurous...Turkish Rep of Northern Cyprus is wonderful as well.
2 BR villa (beachfront) BHD 29, 378 = $78,272USD

Comparing Izmir vs Manama:
Izmir is 35% cheaper than Manama

Comparing Antalya vs Manama
Istanbul is 42% (insane) cheaper than Manama

Though Bahrain seems like a nice place...the value for money (especially for pensioners/retirees) doesn't seem economical.
Whereas, Turkey and Cyprus boast excellent value for money...housing is cheap, public transportation is cheap, food is cheap etc.

Hello, thanks for the information this was really useful for me, but I'd like you to notice that you are comparing to Manama which is the capital of Bahrain. Usually, the prices in the capital are the highest. You can check man-made islands in Bahrain like Amwaj or Dilmunia or Durrat Al Bahrain. They feature better prices and more convenient for retirees. 

Thanks,