Where to buy a property in Turkey for long vacations

Rate this topic

Ayman

Turkey is a beautiful country with many beautiful cities to choose from. While this seems positive but as we studied is sales and marketing we understood that companies with so wide range of products, especially if not very differentiated, can confuse the consumer and stop or delay the purchasing decision. This is exactly what happened with me when i wanted to buy a property in Turkey !!

Too many nice beautiful cities to choose from !! very confusing !! I am just so scared to choose one place then later on I find a better one. Of course there is no guarantee, and any person can find better things in life, but at least you should do your homework well first.

So I decided to ask this question here: Where to buy in Turkey ?!

I know that the answer depends on what you are looking for and what do you expect, so I will mention here my personal preferences. I am looking for:

1. An apartment or small villa for long holidays and maybe for retirement.

2. Nature, forests, trees, flowers, lakes and animals. I love dogs and I have Kangal Turkish dogs in Egypt.

3. I love the sea and swimming and I can enjoy some finishing. Very important to me if there are apartments in compounds with direct private beach, hopefully without significant higher price.

4. I go to gym 5 times a week. very important to me to find a good professional gym  max 10 minutes far.

5. I like night life, maybe once a week only,  and traditional and international restaurant, but not the most important to me, maybe for my wife in addition to shopping of course.

6. I like warm weather so that I can enjoy the sea and outdoors activities as long as possible throughout the year. A city which is not dead in winter.

7. I like quiet places and I hate traffic.

Not over crowded by tourists and close to international airport.

I've been watching many videos for Antalya, Alanya, Marmaris, Izmir, Tarabzon, and Fethiye, and so far more into Antalya and Alanya, but worried about how crowded they are and how much invaded by Russian tourists, with all my love and respect.

Some of you can think I should come and check all possible places myself to choose, but this is very time consuming and i count on you to advise me.

I forgot to mention who I am, I am Ayman, 46, Egyptian, married to Ukrainian, living and working in Saudi Arabia in Finance.

Many thanks for your time.

Regards

Ayman

Hello Ayman, 

For sure Antalya and Alanya are great places and meet most of your expectations, but it's worth to check places close to Izmir city such as, Cesme, Kusadasi, Bodrum etc.

As I have clients who do real estate business in these regions, I can put you in touch with them if you are interested. 

Good luck,

Regards,  

H. Ender KELEŞ | Founding Partner
Avukat / Attorney at Law, LL.M.
T : +90 532 179 1513  |  F : +90 232 486 10 17
E : [email protected]  |  www.eglegal.net
Manas Bulvarı No:74, Trend Office, K:1 D:3 Bayraklı/Izmir- Turkey

It sounds to me like you are describing Marmaris or Bodrum. Marmaris has a lot of forests around, Bodrum has a big lake nearby. Both are well know for night life, and are not dead in the winter.

Antalya (I live there now) has the international airport and plenty of night life in Kale Içi, the old part of the city around the harbor, but it isn't as well know for night life as Bodrum or Marmaris. I don't think Antalya would be the place for you, because while it is a big city, there isn't a lot of nature and forests. The main part of the city is really just a regular Turkish city. Lara and Konyaaltı have beaches, but not as good as the ones around (but not in) Fethiye, Marmaris or Bodrum, or Alanya. Antalya is HOT in the summer, you will need to run the air conditioner a lot more than you would in some of the Aegean cities. As you go further north, of course, the summers are less hot. Winters in all places have plenty of rain and cool weather.

Alanya and Fethiye aren't dead in the winter, but they do quiet down a lot. Çeşme and Kuşadası are, in my opinion, too dead in the winter to interest me (Çeşme dies out in winter more than Kuşadası), I have lived in both Çeşme and Kuşadası..

Izmir (I have also lived in Izmir) is kind of another animal altogether. It's not a tourism city. In fact, it empties out a lot in the summer, because all of the Izmirlis go to their summer houses along the Çeşme peninsula. No beach, just a lovely harbor with a pleasant promenade, but great beaches along the Çeşme peninsula, especially around Çeşme itself. But the peninsula towns do get pretty dead in the winter. Izmir is much more European than any of the other cities as well, it has plenty of night life too.

Kuşadası you should visit before you decide to buy there. A lot of people love it, but some call it a "concrete town" because of all of the building. A friend of mine who lives there recently said that he got a little bored with it because within 30 days, he'd seen everything.

If you want a "medium sized" town, try Fethiye or Alanya. Fethiye mostly has British expats and tourists, while Alanya has a much broader European population. Alanya also has some excellent beaches, I mean right there, that you could walk to, not to mention its harbor. It has many international restaurants and lots of night life. My impression is that Fethiye has less of that (maybe I didn't look in the right places), but other than Çalış Beach (a pebble beach), the good sandy beaches you would need to take a mini-bus to or drive to. South of Fethiye is a lot of natural area, but not as heavily forested as Marmaris.

One solution for you might be to find a place on the outskirts of Marmaris or Bodrum. They are BIG tourist cities, and personally I don't like either of them much during the summer, but if you lived in one of the towns near Bodrum or Marmaris, you could get to the city and enjoy the food and night life whenever you wanted, then go back to your quieter place in the evening. That way you could have the best of both worlds.

Anyone please feel free to disagree, these are just my observations and opinions. :)

Seems there is an interesting conversation going on. I recall some years back a fussy client of mine asked me similar questions as he wasn't being able to decide, "where to buy". His wife was a shopoholic while the guy was into nature and pretty chilled-out. To be honest most of the small Turkish cities turn ghost towns during winters. If I were you, would personally visit Marmaris and Bodrum for a few days , any time after October. I usually advise my clients to take a trip over a week or so, in order to get the feel.. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Ken, Silkroute and Tolga for the interesting replies. Based on your feedback and the information I collected, I will exclude Azmir and Antalia . Bodrum I have been before and I think the town itself is  small. Fethiye  i saw many videos about it all the same .. seems some nice beaches and very small downtown. My final comparison was between Mermeris and Alanya, and if I exclude forests, Alanya seems to match me the most. So, I will be focusing my search in Alanya.

I talked to one broker and I asked if there are apartments in compounds with private beach and he said no, all beaches are open for public. While I think it is really good that all (or most) beaches are open for everyone, but from the videos I saw beaches in Alanya can be really crowded ! I've been stolen before twice in Turkey, once my bags in Ataturk airport and once from my hotel (Vogue) room in Bodrum, it's only me and my wife, how we can go to swim and leave our things on the beach without being stolen, and i also dont feel relaxed with soo many people and large competition to find a bench under shade and close to the sea, and too many kids around. So is it really true that no compounds with private beaches? or maybe there is but too expensive? Another question, are there better area to buy in Alanya? not very crowded, overlooking the sea, and not very far from the nice places?

Many thanks

• 3 weeks later...

So is it really true that no compounds with private beaches?

Yes, that's true. There are hotels and complexes with a beach in front which is "their beach," but anybody can walk through. For example, in Lara, there are a string of luxury hotels. You can't come in the main gate unless you're actually a guest or visiting someone. But if you go around to the beach you can walk in from that side. I did that just to take some photos once, and got something to eat. They kept telling me it was free (all inclusive), and I had to convince them that I had to pay because I wasn't a guest! Anyway, the beaches are public. They can't block them off.

but from the videos I saw beaches in Alanya can be really crowded !

Those are the main beaches. If you go further from town you can find some which are not crowded at all. No facilities, and few or no people. That applies most anywhere. You just need to get away from the town.

how we can go to swim and leave our things on the beach without being stolen

That would depend on the local situation. I don't think I have ever seen lockers anywhere. Usually when we go to Lara beach, if somebody wants to go swimming, they leave their belongings with someone else who watches them. But there may be some solution for that at various beaches.

Another question, are there better area to buy in Alanya? not very crowded, overlooking the sea, and not very far from the nice places?

I don't know, but that's because when I was there I wasn't looking for that. I think the best thing you could do is go there and ask around. I'd recommend contacting @LaleRestaurantCafeBar. She owns a restaurant there, and a lot of foreigners meet there. You can meet not just Marian, the owner, but also her husband and the guests, and make some friends and get some good advice when you arrive. I always stop in at Marian's restaurant and kind of make it my base when I'm there, since they have been living there for years, and have given me a lot of good advice in the past about Alanya and where things are.

Ayman,

Welcome to the forum.  I think Ken is pretty spot on w/the details.  Its all about what you want & what your willing to give up to attain it.

I love Kusadasi.  A lot.  I have been there many, many times & am constantly on the fence about purchasing some land there as a future investment.

I am quite familiar with Izmir, as I lived there previously & my wife's family is from there.  Ken is correct about it being a very westernized, European-style city.  It has a very moderate temperature year-round.  The shopping is great for your wife as well.  There's no direct beach access in town.  However, you can look 2 directions of Izmir (North/South)...north of Izmir you have the nice city of Foca.  Its quiet and has beach access, has land available to take your dogs out as well.
South you have cities such as Guzelbahce, Seferhisar, Teos, Urla, etc.  There's a lot of info from us, but until you check out the places I person, you won't know.

-You can call me Phil-

Bir gün herkes Fenerbahçeli olacak!

Many thanks .. you saved me lots of search. Are there better places (neighborhoods) in Alanya, for example more classy, not so crowded, buildings are not stuck to each other, close to the beach, close to markets and shops, or more or less all the same in Alanya?

Regards

I think I send you a PM about a member who is a property agent in Alanya, if I didn't, let me know. He'd know probably more than anybody. And he's from a large company. If the company is Turkey-wide or international, you have less worries about them using the money you pay to pay off past debts, and they didn't get large by providing poor customer service.

By the way, as for me, I don't make recommendations for commissions (if that has entered your mind). I had considered it in the past, but I think it would taint the trustworthiness of Turkey Central, and I would rather have the trust than the money. So if I recommend somebody, it isn't because they might pay me for it.

18 hours ago, Ken Grubb said:

I think I send you a PM about a member who is a property agent in Alanya, if I didn't, let me know. He'd know probably more than anybody. And he's from a large company. If the company is Turkey-wide or international, you have less worries about them using the money you pay to pay off past debts, and they didn't get large by providing poor customer service.

By the way, as for me, I don't make recommendations for commissions (if that has entered your mind). I had considered it in the past, but I think it would taint the trustworthiness of Turkey Central, and I would rather have the trust than the money. So if I recommend somebody, it isn't because they might pay me for it.

Hi Ken, you sent me a website address  www.spotblue.com   which I checked their listed items. You didn't give me a contact person to talk with in person.

Regards

http://www.idealrealestate.com.tr/en/turkey-properties-for-sale/Property-in-Izmir/
I'm constantly on the hunt for property....you can change the search to Antalya etc.
they have some nice places for sale.

I'm NOT affiliated with his seller/organization/company...nor have I been paid for this!  Always take care when buying anything significant like property etc.

-You can call me Phil-

Bir gün herkes Fenerbahçeli olacak!

6 hours ago, FenerEniste said:

http://www.idealrealestate.com.tr/en/turkey-properties-for-sale/Property-in-Izmir/
I'm constantly on the hunt for property....you can change the search to Antalya etc.

I'm NOT affiliated with his seller/organization/company...nor have I been paid for this!  Always take care when buying anything significant like property etc.

The website does not seem to be live yet (Izmir page).

On 26/11/2016 at 6:37 AM, IbrahimAbi said:

I find Idea real estate.com properties are higher prices than even Spotblue or Right Move.

• 3 weeks later...

But judging where the bottom is, is the problem. Falls in prices are statistics, they will reflect certain areas and only a few types of property. It maybe that apartments in an area of Istanbul are over subscribed, but that will not cause a fall in prices of villas in Datça.