Sign in to follow this  
arash1denizli

HOW IS THE LAWS FOR "metal detectors"

Rate this topic

hi all

how is the laws for the people who are interests in buying and using  metal detectors?
i just saw the banner at top of the forum by google.

http://www.depardedektor.com

this web site.

1-can everyone buy a metal detector? even foreigners?

2-could we dig where ever as i we desire?

3-if we found something worthy what will happen?

If you own the land then surely you do not need permission to dig. We have been planting trees in our land for 10 years without permission, so what is the difference here?

On 10/10/2016 at 5:49 PM, Mykrts said:

1- Yes/Yes

2- No ( Legally )

3- Sure, government will seize them!

Note : Don't believe ! Some people may try to sell map of treasure/historical artifacts. 

not a expensive one for finding treasure. i am going to buy a very common metal detector. something like Minelab Go find40
it worths about 500 Turkish lira. and i'm gonna use it as something for pleasure and fun.
what is your idea? can i search and dig round the rivers or beaches or idle farms?
if you have any experience about this matter plz share me.

10 hours ago, IbrahimAbi said:

If you own the land then surely you do not need permission to dig. We have been planting trees in our land for 10 years without permission, so what is the difference here?

only a few people own their land and farm in civil areas!

There are huge penalties for taking antiquities out of Turkey, so be warned. Even people buying old carpets have to get a certificate from a museum saying it is not an antiquity before they can take it out of the country. I don't know if digging around various places is illegal, but I have read articles about the Jandarma arresting people for digging illegally for antiquities.

Our gardener found 'treasure' in our 10 donum field a few years ago. It was an Ottoman 8 piaster coin from 1852. We looked it up on the internet, apparently it was the equivalent of 5 days work for a labourer, so his missus must have given him some stick when he lost it. . The only road passed through the middle of our field. I have often wondered about getting a metal detector, not with the thought of finding treasure but out of historical interest. 

19 hours ago, Daniel Stein said:

There are huge penalties for taking antiquities out of Turkey, so be warned. Even people buying old carpets have to get a certificate from a museum saying it is not an antiquity before they can take it out of the country. I don't know if digging around various places is illegal, but I have read articles about the Jandarma arresting people for digging illegally for antiquities.

it is so frustrating. i supposed Turkey a  free country :(

I can understand the regulations. In many areas there are known sites of historical interest which have not been excavated due to shortage of funds for excavation or to safeguard them after they have been opened. When we lived in Bodrum we regularly had tourists with maps walking down our driveway looking for the temple of Mars which is marked on maps but not excavated yet. Imagine what damage 20 people with metal detectors could do there.