Leoxy

Credit Cards for foreigners in Turkey?

Rate this topic

What Turkish bank is most likely to give me a real credit card as a foreigner? 

My Ziraat Bank card has the MasterCard logo on it but

• it does not work on n11.com
  • it does not work at hepsiburada.com
  • I can not buy bus tickets online
  • I can not rent a car with it

and it has a POS limit of 2000 TL per transaction which is much too low for me. I asked to have the limit increased and it does not seem to be possible at all. 

So basically this card is useless to me apart from minor POS purchases and getting cash from ATMs.

I don't have a Turkish credit card but I have heard this from those who do. According to them, you have to specifically ask for a credit card with which you can make online and international purchases. So maybe it's just a matter of going back to the bank and making a change to the account.

I've had a Turkish credit card with every bank here i've been with, the only restriction is that it's capped standard at 1k tl. Never asked if the ceiling figure can be raised, i assume it could be if asked and there were funds to cover it. I've never been refused on any Turkish buying site with it. In fact many sites won;'t accept my UK visa credit card & will only accept a Turkish credit [not debit ] card.

My Axcess Akbank card has a limit of 5000 TL, Garanti gave me 8000 TL credit but it is linked to a deposit account, Ziraat gave me 10 000 TL credit not linked to any account but Amazon doesn't take it and Envato and other US sites won't. Akbank automatically raise your credit limit yearly unless you call and oppose it.

Just tagging along here.

I have US bank credit and debit cards. Sometimes, when I've tried to use them online, they've been refused. On past occasions, I've called my bank and found that they've blocked it because Turkey is a high-risk credit card fraud country. Then they removed the block and annotated the records saying that I live in Turkey.

On other occasions, I've called my bank to find that they weren't blocking it, that the company I was trying to buy something from had blocked it. This was mainly Digital River, which handles transactions with PayPal. So I had to go around and around with Digital River to get them to un-block it.

I think the only way you will be able to figure out why your credit card is being blocked is to first contact your bank, then if they aren't blocking it, contact the company you are trying to buy from.

And it is usually the other way round - you are trying to buy something on a non-Turkish website and they don't like Turkish state bank such as Ziraat but will accpet cards from gaanti because although it is Turkish, it is privately owned.

Now with the new Moody credit rating, that may well change a lot of things.

So it's only me that i could not have a credit card in Turkey? They don't give it to strangers unless you block some money on your account for it. Of course i have turkish debit cards HSBC and YAPIKREDI and i can also use it online on turkish websites without any problem. So i wonder if you're confusing debit and credit cards in this post? Or if you really had a real turkish credit card can you explain to me what was the conditions to have it.

For internation online purchase i use my italian credit card however.

It depends on the bank. I agree that HSBC are very 'foreigner unfriendly' we blew them out 10 years ago. They wanted to freeze more money in my account than the credit card was good for. (Something like 3500TL and they allowed me 2000TL on the card) at the time. Garanti have not frozen anything and allow me 10 000TL, but I suspect it depends on your circumstances, we have been banking with them for over 15 years and have a house in our name which is insured through them. My advice would be to ask around. We have both credit cards, not debit cards and they work online with any company we have tried.

13 hours ago, IbrahimAbi said:

I agree that HSBC are very 'foreigner unfriendly'

I don't agree. Except for the credit card subject the service is good ands it's the only bank paying me 10% of daily interest rate. I'm paying my rent with this interest and no other bank pay 10% to a stranger.

I think that you will get similar interest from most banks. Garanti recently sent us an email offering 11.5% if we started to invest here again. earlier this year we lost faith in the politics and economy so sent our savings back to the UK. The final straw for us at HSBC was when they wanted to charge us 100£ to take a sterling cheque (drawn on an International bank) and put it into our account. They said it would take 3 months to clear. Garanti cleared it within a week at no charge. Ultimately it is a free market and customers are free to use whatever bank they wish, which has to be a good thing

in a especial period of time i was seeking for a credit card or debit card or any kind of prepaid card.

i checked with many banks. but they ask me if i have stable job with insurance in turkey.

even for debit card!!

finally i had to forget about it.

On 10/5/2016 at 2:49 AM, wbtcpip said:

I don't agree. Except for the credit card subject the service is good ands it's the only bank paying me 10% of daily interest rate. I'm paying my rent with this interest and no other bank pay 10% to a stranger.

btw in my homeland country, IRAN, a rate of 15-17% is very common :)

Thanks for the responses.

Some clarifications: 

I asked what banks give real credit cards to foreigners as mine is a debit card and some websites might not accept debit cards. 

Debit cards should use the funds in the linked account, not allowing borrowing of funds. I do not want to borrow funds, I only want to use the funds in my account. 

I am only trying to purchase things on turkish websites with this card in Turkish Lira, anything else would be stupid, for overseas card use I use cards in the respective currencies to avoid currency conversion. 

The bank account the card is linked to has a much larger balance than the daily limit of 2000 TL (5-6 figure TL at present) 

The 2000 TL limit can not be raised I asked a few times now. 

And yes of course I asked the bank why the tx are being declined on all turkish websites I try, answer, they don't know.  

Conclusion for me: Ziraat is useless to me.

Garanti are not opening an account for me while I wait for my ikamet .. so its a bad situation and very annoying. 

my HSBC debit card work pretty well on all turkish websites except Migros Store. I usually shop on Hepsiburada and other websites and i pay without any problem with HSBC debit card. I also have a yapikredi debit card and i never been able to use it over internet; when i try activate it on internet i always get an error. My name contains a lot of "i" and frequently in Turkey make typoo, as usual with foreigner names. The bank could not help on the problem. In this country everything work by chance ...

2 hours ago, IbrahimAbi said:

Have you been refused one Star?

Sure

Akbank and is bank want me to shoe stable income from uni in order to obtain credit card

Taksit

We had this problem too, even though we had good jobs. The employer had done a deal with Iş bank to have all salaries paid into an Iş bank account, Garanti bank would not give my wife a credit card, but they gave one to me. later we shamed the manager into giving her a Garanti card by trying to pay for car insurance at Garanti bank with an Iş bank card.

Akbank want us to show stable income. No problem

Also, it wants us to confirm the house contract in nufus dairesi. That is hard. Nufus dairesi itself surprised! They have sth. like that but surprised that bank wants it.

Does ziraat bank give credit?

Also, please explain how does it work? I mean the credit card and taksit?