Citizenship After Extended Short-term Residence Permits

Rate this topic

First I'd like to thank this forum so much it gives a lot of great information about almost everything in Turkey

it is my second year here in Turkey I've renewed my residence permit another year, my question is as I read in many sources after 5 years of my staying in Turkey I can apply for the citizenship but is it possible from the short term residence permit ? another word does this permit count ? some sources say it doesn't count only the long term residence counts.

Another question. Can I renew the short term residence permit every year forever ? because some say this residence permit it can only be renewed twice.

as I read in many sources after 5 years of my staying in Turkey I can apply for the citizenship but is it possible from the short term residence permit ? another word does this permit count ?

Yes, you can apply to become a citizen after living in Turkey for five years with short-term residence permits.

some sources say it doesn't count only the long term residence counts

I have not read or heard this anywhere.

Another question. Can I renew the short term residence permit every year forever ? because some say this residence permit it can only be re-newed twice

Yes, you can renew it again and again. I have never heard of any limit to the number of renewals, and I just finished reading the laws on residence permits. I've been living in Turkey for many years on short-term residence permits.

Can you send me a PM and let me know where you are reading or hearing these things?

I just checked the DGMM Facebook page and there is no mention of any changes in the law as you describe.

thank you so much, actually these sources are giving wrong information without any kind of experiences some even say you have to quit your nationality for the Turkish citizenship I knew from the beginning those were wrong information but I wanted to make sure from people who have experiences like you 

Yes, I know what you mean! Unfortunately a lot of people put information out there without really knowing what they're talking about, or they write what they heard somewhere as if it is fact, without first checking it with a reliable source.

I do have to go to the Nufüs ve Vatandaşlık İşleri Genel Müdürlüğü (Population and Citizenship Directorate) this week, I will ask them personally to verify what I said and get back with you on this, because now that I think about it, it is they who would determine what is necessary to become a citizen, not the DGMM.

Hi Ken,

Any update on that residency permit / citizenship issue? 

Unfortunately it's not only lay people out there dishing out erroneous information; officials, who seem to not know what they are talking about apparently also make things up to be "helpful". 

I have had a "short term" residency permit (ie. permission to live in Turkey) off and on for more than 10 years, interspersed with working visas, time out of the country etc. 

I've been told (by the nufus mudurlugu) that to be eligible for citizenship one needs a "long term" residency permit for 5 consecutive years.

If you have any information it would be GREATLY appreciated. 

(Most recently, I've had had a working visa for approx. 1 year, a short term residency permit for approx. 1 year and a "family permit" for approx. 1 year).  Prior to that I was working outside of the country for more than a year (and from what I gather, any  time spent towards citizenship in Turkey is "reset" after one is gone for more than 6 months). 

Thanks in advance! 

1) that five years of consistent living, regardless of whether one had a "short stay" or long term residency permit, (I don't know how a 3 year residency permit can be considered "short stay", but....) was required to apply for citizenship; 2) another visit told me that only long term permits counted towards citizenship -- ie. permits based on marriage (in which case, 3 years consecutive years makes one eligible to apply) or employment; another trip to the emniyet mudurlu told me (1) again...... 

The nufus mudurlugu told me something more or less along the lines of (2) above. But the memur I spoke with didn't seem to be really interested in helping and wanted to get back to the conversation she was having with the other memur, so.... 

I assumed (2) was correct, until I stubbled across the above message from Ken.

Any information would be greatly appreciated

1) that five years of consistent living, regardless of whether one had a "short stay" or long term residency permit, (I don't know how a 3 year residency permit can be considered "short stay", but....) was required to apply for citizenship; 2) another visit told me that only long term permits counted towards citizenship -- ie. permits based on marriage (in which case, 3 years consecutive years makes one eligible to apply) or employment; another trip to the emniyet mudurlu told me (1) again...... 

Ok... The word I got from the Nüfus ve Vatandaşlık İşleri Genel Müdürlüğü (Population and Citizenship General Directorate, or "NVI" or "Nüfus") that you can definitely apply for citizenship as long as you are a legal resident of Turkey for five years.

• Short-term residence permits are fine,
  • You don't have to buy property, you can be a renter the whole time, and
  • You don't have to marry a Turk.

That's from the Antalya NVI office. Additionally, it is in accordance with the citizenship law.

I think I know what is causing the different answers. There are three things involved.

1. There are two completely separate government agencies involved. The DGMM handles residence permits, and the NVI handles citizenship. Workers in these agencies are not going to be familiar with the rules and regulations of the other agency. A worker at the NVI is not likely to even know what a short-term, long-term, etc... residence permit actually is. It's not their job.

2. When you ask most any government official in Turkey a question, they never say "I don't know." Nor do they look up the answer or research it. They always give you whatever answer they can personally come up with at the moment. To do otherwise would give the impression that they don't know their job.

So the answer they give you might be right, and it might be wrong.

3. It depends on how you ask the question. I have found this to be true many times. Some scenarios:

If you ask: "I have been a legal resident of Turkey for five years now. Can I apply to become a Turkish citizen?"

The answer will be: "yes, you can." That's the correct answer.

But if you ask "Can I become a citizen after five years of living in Turkey on a short-term residence permit?"

The answer may be "no," because the worker hears "short term." and they think "oh, well then, if you're only going to be here for the short term, then of course you can't become a citizen." Which is the wrong answer.

Have a look at the Turkish Citizenship article. You can check the External Links at the bottom for the citizenship law. It's dated 2009, but they leave that date there because that's when the law was implemented. If it's been amended since then, I have seen nothing on it, and I always keep an eye out for any changes in laws which affect foreigners (I check the Turkish news every day). In the External Links of that article there's also a link to an article on the Turkish citizenship law by a law firm dated March 2014.

You can use a search engine and do research on Turkish Citizenship Law No. 5901. In the end, that law dictates whether or not you can become a Turkish citizen, not some clerk at the NVI. :)

As people have stated the information you receive can vary from office to office. day to day and person to person. There are three main ways to apply for Turkish Citizenship.  .

1. By bloodline -either mother or father has citizenship.

2. By marriage - after three years of marriage to a Turkish  Citizen.

3. After 5 years of residency. 

Each case has differing requirements. 

3. You are only allowed so many days out of the country in the 5 year period,  İt was a total of 6 months but don't know if that is current now. Also most offices insist on a degree of Turkish and in Antalya they now insists you complete the  Belediye course to stage 1 and receive the certificate. (this information from the Nufus office Alanya current as Aug 2016)  Your local Nufus has a printed sheet showing the requirements,  here in Alanya it is supplied  only in Turkish. The process is lengthy taking approx 18 months to 2 years from the start and involves police interviews and checks. Re allowing more than one nationality - that is dependant on your country of origin - the UK has no problems with multiple nationalities Germany does not accept.

İf anyone wants more detailed information please send me a message. As stated this is current from Alanya office for the Antalya region and as so much it is not standard but these are the people you have to satisfy before  they forward your file to  Ankara.