Sign in to follow this  
KucukElma

Best Degrees/Professions for Istanbul

Rate this topic

Hi all, 

I am looking to move to Istanbul around the summer or fall of next year. Currently I am taking Turkish classes and finishing a bachelor's degree in the US in International Security and Conflict Resolution. I also plan on earning my TEFL certification next summer.

I go to a good, flexible university, and I have been wondering if I should get a second degree in order to increase my chances of good employment in Istanbul. Can anyone please help me and give me some insight on what is in demand in Istanbul? Are there particular fields or degrees that will get me hired quickly into a decent paying job? I do plan to have my options as an English teacher available, but I've been hearing it is very difficult to make a stable, comfortable living teaching English in Turkey. So, I would like to have a plan B :)

Thanks so much, every one!

-Elma

I'm not sure how to answer that, it seems to me that good jobs like you describe would come and go in an unpredictable way. You might try checking the links at the bottom of this article:

Finding a Job in Turkey

And seeing what kind of positions are typically available over time.

I think you don't need a second degree, you can make your degree recognize in here ( You have to pay a little). I believe you have a great chance, I mean you earn your degree one of U.S institutions and your native language is english. All you need is a work permit. 

In Istanbul there are a wide range of jobs I can't say specifically what type of jobs you should consider, you can find whatever suits you best. You can use these web sites to assess what kind of sector leading in Istanbul.

http://www.kariyer.net/is-ilanlari/#&ct=c34,c82

http://www.yenibiris.com/istanbul-is-ilanlari

Hi,

I'll share my experience because I was successful this year in getting a position at a good Turkish university, in Bilkent, and I had applied for similar teaching positions previously. I was looking specifically to teach at a university and not a language school.

I can't speak to the situation in Istanbul but I can add, at the very least, my two cents regarding teaching English and being competitive in order to get a good position. Again, this is just my experience.

I have a BA in political science, a TESL diploma and as of February 2015, an MA in literary linguistics. I worked in Korean public schools for three years after getting my TESL diploma and, while in Korea, I completed my MA (submitted my dissertation) from the University of Nottingham which is known for its post-secondary degrees in linguistics. Around February this year I applied for a position at Bilkent I saw posted on tesol.com. I had an interview and was successful in getting an EAP instructor position. Bilkent is considered to be one of the best universities in Turkey. I also had an interview with Yasser University in Izmir.

In between leaving Korea and applying for the Bilkent position, I worked on a short-term contract as an EAP instructor at a good university in Canada. I never would have got that position if not for my MA and that position, in turn, helped me get the Bilkent  job as well as the Yasser interview.

Teacher friends of mine who are working in Dubai and other areas in the middle east have told me that increasingly, universities are moving away from teaching ESL to teaching English for Academic Purposes (for obvious reasons). As part of my contract, Bilkent is providing me with a scholarship to become accredited in EAP.

I know this is quite a lot of information and you probably now know more about my education and career that you need or want to know. :-) 

However, I hope it will be of some help to you.

Best,

Scotia

Thank you so much, all. Ken and Green, the links you provided were so helpful, and Scotia, your personal experience was very informative. Perhaps it would be helpful to set up a section here (unless it already exists) for professional and personal networking amongst expats and knowledgeable, English speaking Turks :) Just an idea! Thanks again.