Sign in to follow this  
istanbulenthusiast

Need long term apartment in Istanbul-Advice please

Rate this topic

Hello all,

Been following this forum quite regularly but could not post much. That being said, I am now traveling to Istanbul for learning Turkish language for a year. While the place has taken unfortunate turn of events, I still have not changed my mind.

Hopefully, everything will be in place.

I will be in Istanbul for the first time on 01 August 2016 and will remain there till next August 2017. For that, I need a furnished 2 bedroom apartment as I will be moving along with my family. I need something near Royal Turkish Language Center as I will be having admission around there.  I am looking for something which is at walking distance (1-2km). My max budget is 1500-1600 US dollar (I will be very interested in learning swimming there, doing lots of gym, so will be happy to have some sports activities around).

Are there any suggestions for me please?

Welcome Istanbulenthusiast, I hope you get the answers you want from TC members. I would start looking at the sahibinden.com website.

https://www.sahibinden.com/kiralik-daire

You need to apply the filters to restrict it to the actual area (semt) that you need. You can select English too.

Happy hunting.

You should get a substantial discount by paying six months in advance. Your savings will probably be far beyond any return you could make in any financial investment or by earning interest in a bank with the same money. And Turks will almost always prefer to have a large amount of money in advance. So if you can pay that much in advance, do so. And many landlords probably don't know that there are strict limits on how much they can raise the rent next year! :lol: See the article I mentioned for information on that.

But one warning...

If, in the negotiations, the landlord asks you to pay a higher deposit, don't do it. A deposit is to cover any damages which might occur during the rental period. And the probability of damages doesn't increase just because you pay in advance.

Some unscrupulous landlords will ask for a higher-than-necessary deposit simply because they have no intention of ever giving it back. There are a few different games they can play to try to keep your deposit, and the chance that you'll actually go to court for it are small.

I'm only saying that if you intend to hand over a cash deposit. The best way to handle a deposit is for both of you to go to a bank and open an account specifically for a rental deposit, then put the money there. You can take it back out when the lease is finished, or, after three months (I believe it is three months) if the landlord doesn't go to court to put a block on it.

I've never actually done that, since the landlords I've rented from recently have been the best kind of people, and were either recommended to me or in our conversations beforehand I got a strong feeling that I could trust them (I've been right so far!). And besides, my rental deposit amounts have been pretty low.

If you don't mind, click the "follow" line at the top of the Istanbul forum.  That way when the next person moving to Istanbul lsts a question about Istanbul, you'll get an alert e-mail. Then if you think you can  help them  just click on the link in the e-mail  log in, and reply.

Arrived in Istanbul. Good going so far apart from apartment. In beyoglu, the apartments are just too small for my liking. I am thinking of getting something around Levent metro stop (Levent 3). What you say?

I will have to come around Taksim daily on metro but I need at least a good apartment to live in for a year.

@Ken