Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ken Grubb

Trying the Migros Sanal Market Online Grocery Shopping Site for the First Time

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I'm trying out Migros's online grocery ordering system for the first time. Looks great! In my neighborhood, I often can't get things I want, like big bottles of soda (I ordered a few cases of that) and spinach (which my local market has only occasionally). Since I don't have a car, I have to take a big backpack with me and lug everything back home. Now they'll just bring it all to me. I figure before long I'll be complaining about how I have to lug the groceries from the front door to the kitchen.

The system wouldn't take my foreigner identification number (apparently it actually looks you up), but it did offer an option for foreigners to enter their passport number. At first the system rejected that also because it didn't have letters (I guess every country but the US has letters in their passport numbers), so I just entered USA at the beginning and that worked.

I had no option but to join Migros's "Money Club" and get one of their cards, but it's a good idea anyway, since I can take advantage of periodic discounts on things.

I had a few recipes I wanted to try. I opened them in a separate window and shopped the Migros Sanal Market site ingredient-by-ingredient.

The system is very well-designed. It even remembers what you bought before, so you can stock up on things you usually buy.

I liked everything about the Sanal Market system. I even bought a few things I didn't know I needed.

When I checked out, the system offered me a couple of next-day delivery options (some were full). I chose one, as well as the option to pay cash at the door. So I will have a mass quantity of groceries and various kitchen necessities delivered to me tomorrow (even though tomorrow is Sunday), sometime between 4:30 and 6:30 PM.

Here's the site if anybody is interested:

http://www.sanalmarket.com.tr/

greenstein likes this

Delivery was on time. They couldn't figure out which was my exact apartment (even though I had explained it), but I got a call and they were waiting across the street for me. They brought everything I ordered to my door. I'll be doing this at least once a month from now on.

I wonder if they would deliver to Çukurbağ.

15 hours ago, Cukurbagli said:

Look up on their website. my province does not even appear. we do have a Migros about 50km away, those who need it most cannot use it. one that I have tried and worked well for me (the company even called me and spoke in English to ask if it would be ok for me to go to the courier office to collect the parcel), is Gurmetnet http://www.gurmenet.com.tr/ they are very good for far eastern ingredients. Note that if you buy frozen good then you need to purchase dry ice from them to keep it cold in transit. I am interested in their camembert cheese which is currently on offer.

They might. I went through the whole registration process, providing my address and directions on how to find my place.

But when I tried to add the first item to my shopping basket, I had to again provide my İl (province), İlçe (district or county). Then it seemed to take a second to compute. I think the system was connecting me to whatever Migros serviced my area. There's a Migros in Kaş... even if it is a small one, who knows... Çukurbağlı isn't that far away.

Look up on their website. my province does not even appear. we do have a Migros about 50km away, those who need it most cannot use it. one that I have tried and worked well for me (the company even called me and spoke in English to ask if it would be ok for me to go to the courier office to collect the parcel), is Gurmetnet http://www.gurmenet.com.tr/ they are very good for far eastern ingredients. Note that if you buy frozen good then you need to purchase dry ice from them to keep it cold in transit. I am interested in their camembert cheese which is currently on offer.

I had not heard about GurmeNet! Thanks for sharing that. I will check it out.

By the way, I noticed that I could not buy pork products, even though the larger Migros stores often have it in touristy cities.

How did you get on with the Gurmenet website Ken?

I haven't tried it yet. And unfortunately, I saw no pork on either site! :bawl: