Sign in to follow this  
mscanada

Question about Military Law

Rate this topic

Fantastic site and wisdom in the postings. It is great to have found and this problem i feel crosses many more ages than just those under 29.  I have a question about military service, etc. in the Turkish army.  If someone has been in the military for years, I believe as a career, is older, as in 55 years old; is it feasible or possible or any type of truth to the fact, that if they have violated some military rule (i don't know what else to call it other than a rule) - is it possible that this person could be thrown into jail and maybe in jail for life. And I believe they were only guilty of talking to someone on social media when they were in a military camp.  How serious would the breaking of this rule be with the Turkish army, or maybe it is not even a problem at all.   I am not accustomed to the army in Turkey and am more familiar with USA and Canadian military where such things would not happen.  However, neither one of the North American countries has a forced military service either. Another question related to the previous concern.  If someone did have to deal with such an issue, would they be required to hire a lawyer to help them in such an action.  Thank you to any and all for assistance on this.

I'm not an expert on the Turkish military but if (and it's a big IF) they only talked to someone on social media I am sure there would not be a problem but it would depend very much on what they were saying. Any talk of a plot, coup, mutiny, insulting the president or Ataturk or Turkey or disclosing secrets would probably be reason to be put on trial at least.

If charges were brought against the person then hiring a lawyer probably would be a good idea if they were not supplied with one by the army.

Thank you.  I tried to reply but being new to this site I believe i did something wrong. That being said I believe that they only conversations on social media were in fact of a minor personal chat and nothing what so ever to do with the government.  So it appears that would not be the cause of any type of problem within this military.  any other information is always appreciated.

I did 21 years in the US military. In such a situation, not involving sensitive information, that would be a charge of "failure to obey an order" (the order can be written or spoken). The punishment might be a documented "counseling," or a reprimand, or non-judicial punishment involving a fine or extra duty.

But if he's 55 years old and has spent his life in the Turkish military, He's probably at the political realm, at a level above the ordinary soldier. Such a charge wouldn't be leveled against him if it wasn't serious. For that reason, he should hire a good lawyer.

Thank you on this information. Frankly I am not sure on anything in regards to this. But this is my concern over this too. As you stated I think he probably is above the typical soldier level due to the long term in the service.  but if in fact a serious crime or such did happen by him would he not be someone restricted and not be in a position to continue being on social media or even more so attempting to make phone calls over to North America.  This has been happening and being on this side of the world, does not make sense in light of what is supposed to be these so called charges.  Appreciate the input and knowledge of continued remarks. I am finding it all quite informative but from his end, disturbing.