Sign in to follow this  
eruza

Types of Short Term Residence Permits Leading to Citizenship?

Rate this topic

What are the types of short term residence permits?

I need to avoid the tourist type because it doesn't lead to citizenship. 

Is there really such a thing as a renter's residence permit that is stated on the webpage below?

http://www.permitinturkey.com/#!SERVICES/c1iwz

I am a renter, so if this option does exist I didn't see it on the residence permit application as an option so how would I apply for this type of permit and does it lead to citizenship?

All types of Residency permits [ except for student] will allow you to eventually apply for citizenship,if you wish,even if you are not a property owner.

When filling in your online Residence Permit application form,in the section for reasons for applying ,in the appropriate  dropdown box ,if renting you click ''for touristic reasons'' if a property owner you'll click ''owner of immovable property''. Whichever category you fall into make absolutely no difference,your RP status is the same as is the RP card you'll receive.  

Just echoing Redder's reply... There are no "types" of short-term residence permits. I think they just break it down into categories according to what situation a person might be in when they apply for a short-term residence permit. They don't have one for people like me called "Just wants to live in Turkey." So instead they just call it "tourism." Unfortunately that word conveys a sense that the residence permit is more temporary, or of less value than everybody else's short term residence permit, but it's not. It's just a matter of providing a rental contract, rather than a property deed, for proof of residence.

And they probably set their online system up that way to give you a list of what a renter needs to present rather than what a property owner needs to present.

Below I copy and pasted part of the immigration law or I guess it's called provisions of the law where it's written that residence permits for touristic reasons do not count towards citizenship. 

d) Türk vatandaşlığının kazanılmasında kabul edilmeyen ikamet nedenleri ile Türkiye’de bulunan kişinin sonradan geçerli sayılan bir nedenle ikamete bağlanması halinde önceki ikamet süreleri de hesaba katılır. Bu hüküm, turistik amaçlı ikamet tezkeresi ile Türkiye’de bulunanlar hakkında uygulanmaz.

To find the source, if you do a search for this:

TÜRK VATANDAŞLIĞI KANUNUNUN UYGULANMASINA

İLİŞKİN YÖNETMELİK

you will find the document on a government website and be able to download it.

So, it looks like there is no renter's residence permit, that website just gave the tourist residence permit a new name.

The long term residence permits that existed before 2014 made it possible to get citizenship as a "tourist" so they took those away I guess.

Both @Aysun and I researched this for you so we could be sure you have the best possible information.

Firstly, Aysun read the most current citizenship law (in Turkish), found here:

DEAD LINK

This is the current procedure posted on the Turkish Citizenship Directorate, a variety of things are taken into consideration when someone is considered for Turkish citizenship:

• buying a property in Turkey
  • setting up a business in Turkey
  • investment in Turkey
  • having a work permit for one year or more and working in a Turkish company
  • being married to a Turkish citizen
  • transferring your business to Turkey.

These are just examples of acts which demonstrate an applicant's seriousness about being a Turkish citizen. They are not all set in stone. Nor is doing one or even all of these things a guarantee that you will receive Turkish citizenship. They are just things which would be taken into consideration, as they look at the "whole person" of the applicant.

Besides that, I went to the Muratpaşa Population and Citizenship Directorate, and asked them in person. They said, very clearly, that owning a property in Turkey is not an absolute requirement.

You can indeed live in Turkey on short-term residence permits for five continuous years, while renting your residence, then apply for (and possibly receive) Turkish citizenship.

I don't think you will find any more reliable information than that. :)

Thanks for the answers, but I don't think anyone who has responded so far has understood what my problem is. I understand that there is no certainty that citizenship will be granted and there is some grey area in the decision making process. However, what I am concerned about at this moment is being disqualified right now from the 5 year rule, and having to start all over. And losing my past 2 years of residence which were under long term residence status (which no longer exists), and it is now expiring. My last 2 years do count towards citizenship, but under the new system, I currently only qualify for the short term residence permit for touristic purposes even though I am not a tourist, this is the way the system now categorizes people who are renters living in Turkey. So, although my circumstances have not changed, the law has. And, also there is a provision in the 5 year rule of law that states that a residence permit (not to be confused with a tourist visa) issued for tourist reasons do not count towards the 5 years. I have already given the exact part of the law above that concerns me (maybe Aysun can understand it).

I want to learn what options I have so that I don't lose the past 2 years, so that I don't get categorized as a tourist, if that makes sense. Do I have other options apart from marriage, owning property, studying, or work permit to avoid the tourist label? As a renter living continuously in Turkey how can I avoid being labeled a tourist according to the current laws? Why did they end the long term residence permit status that counted in the 5 year rule and offer in it's place short term residence permits and tell me I here as a tourist when I am not? 

On 4/28/2016 at 9:54 PM, REDDERS said:

All types of Residency permits [ except for student] will allow you to eventually apply for citizenship, if you wish,even if you are not a property owner.

When filling in your online Residence Permit application form,in the section for reasons for applying ,in the appropriate  dropdown box ,if renting you click ''for touristic reasons'' if a property owner you'll click ''owner of immovable property''. Whichever category you fall into make absolutely no difference, your RP status is the same as is the RP card you'll receive.  

Eruza you are wrong, we DO understand your problem and your original question has been answered over and over again. Don't be confused by the "for touristic reasons" your permit WILL count towards the 5 years for a citizenship application. It does not label you as a "tourist". REDDERS is exactly right in what he said.

The website mentions different reasons for applying because the paperwork that you have to submit is different in each case and it makes it easier to explain if they put the reasons under different headings.

Eruza, I really understand your concern. This is something you do need to be sure about. But we can't possibly give you a better answer, especially my answer directly from the Population and Citizenship Directorate. What Aysun read was directly from the Population and Citizenship Directorate's official website.

Both Aysun and I completely understand what the law you mentioned says. We both read it. There are two completely different government offices involved as well, and when the law you cited was written, one of them, the current Göç İdaresi, or Directorate General of Migration Management, didn't even exist -- and there were no "short term residence permits." So obviously things have changed a lot.

Including, probably, the terms and the meanings of those terms used in the laws.

At this point, all leads have been investigated, and all leads have been exhausted. The only thing you can do from here is to go to your local Population and Citizenship Directorate and ask them for yourself. You can find the branch office closest to you on their official website:

www.nvi.gov.tr

Click on "İletişim," then on the map, click on the province where you are. That will give you a listing of all of their local offices in that province, with addresses and telephone numbers.

Please let us know what they tell you. :)

Ken,

I will try again to go to the source to clear up this mess and post it if I learn anything.

Cukubagli,

you said " Don't be confused by the "for touristic reasons" your permit WILL count towards the 5 years for a citizenship application. " Do you have evidence other than our general experience that laws are in theory and not practical in Turkey? I would like it to be true, but the provision in the law contradicts.  

I've had residence permits for the last 5 years, 1 lasted 2 years and 3 lasted 1 year each, I will be applying for citizenship this month and I've been and asked about my particular circumstances, they say it is fine.

I hope Admin will allow me to ''blow my own trumpet here.''

The Admin here,know my background for commenting on this and other topics,but i will give you my resume.. I have a group on Facebook called  ' Doc Martins Surgery for Expats in Turkey' with 6,000 members from around the globe and is sanctioned by Her Majesty's UK  Ambassador to Turkey Richard Moore. This group is not the usual expat chat group but purely an Infosite only dealing with visas,RP's work permit problems encountered by foreigners here in Turkey .

Pleased be assured that ANY information i make public has been confirmed by official sources where necessary. 

Ok,now to your query,i can assure you as have Ken & Cukurbagli above that by not owning a property ,but renting makes no difference whatsoever..As i mentioned way back here the only Residence permits that are not recognised towards your 5 years are Student RP's. I have members  [unmarried] that rent and have applied and received their Kimlik,and many young ladies married to  Turkish citizens who cannot afford to buy so hold rental agreements so can only show their husbands rental papers,with nothing in their name & they have no problems either.Providing you keep your RP's valid with no breaks in between,you will[ like me this year] just apply for the standard 1yr STRP and make the transition from your Blue Book to plastic card. But when that time comes make sure you take colour photocopies of the picture and stamps pages of your Blue Book & the same with your RP cards in the future [ as they will take the old cards from you each renewal] ,then when you apply for your citizenship you will have proof of your previous years of holding RP's.

In other words, I'm being played by my local authorities. They must be lying to a lot of people, they have this law highlighted to show anyone who walks in and asks basic questions. The Mudur also confirmed they were telling the truth so the Mudur is also lying. 

Perhaps not lying but mistaken or interpreting their written instructions wrongly. It has happened a lot in the past few years with Residence Permits.

Whereabouts are you living?

I am located in Istanbul.

I don't understand how the authorities on citizenship can misinterpret the laws for citizenship. I can't argue with them because the law clearly states what they say, not what people here say:

d) Türk vatandaşlığının kazanılmasında kabul edilmeyen ikamet nedenleri ile Türkiye’de bulunan kişinin sonradan geçerli sayılan bir nedenle ikamete bağlanması halinde önceki ikamet süreleri de hesaba katılır. Bu hüküm, turistik amaçlı ikamet tezkeresi ile Türkiye’de bulunanlar hakkında uygulanmaz.

How can I argue with them that they are the ones misinterpreting the laws about citizenship? Is there an amendment to the law or something else written in the law or an argument that this statement above can be understood in other ways?

Firstly, I looked up that line in Google as you suggested. The only thing I could find was a rather outdated law.

Secondly, there are two different government offices involved here. One is for residence permits (the DGMM). The other is for citizenship (the Nüfus ve Vatandaşlık İşleri Genel Müdürlüğü). You should go to the Nüfus for citizenship issues. Often, government organizations don't coordinate with each other, and that creates confusion, and conflicts in whatever rules they write.

Have you talked to anyone at the nüfus yet?

Do you mean go to the local ilce Nufus Mudurlugu for my area in istanbul or the main istanbul il Nufus ve Vatandaslik Mudurlugu?

I went to the later for my information...(the information saying that short term residence permits that were issued because of tourist reasons will be information used when applying for citizenship and disqualify me right from the start. This is what they say and with much hostility). 

Isn't it true the 5901 citizenship law is valid and that it was made in 2009 and the provision we are talking about that is part of that law was made in 2010. Is there any more up to date citizenship law? 

I hate to complicate things even more here. But it may depend on what question you ask. For example, if you ask "If I only have a residence permit for tourism purposes, can I use that as time towards the citizenship requirement?" The clerk, having no idea or any concern about how residence permits work, and just hearing the word "tourism," would probably say no, because they don't concern themselves with residence permits or the way the law is worded ("of course a tourist cannot become a citizen!")

Then again, if you ask "can my time in Turkey as a legal resident, contribute to the time required to become a citizen, if I am a renter and I am not married to a Turk?" (which is the question I asked). Then the same clerk may very well say "yes, of course."

Never expect anyone to look up the law or ask anyone at a higher level for clarification, because this might insinuate that they don't know their job.

Redders said above that he knows members who have applied for citizenship and gotten it, without being married to a Türk, and without owning property. In fact, when I went in and asked the question myself, the lady was ready to take my application for citizenship immediately.

With the way laws are worded, and enacted, of course it can be confusing. But since there are actual examples of people becoming citizens under the same circumstances you are asking about, you just can't get better verification than that.

It reminds me of a story about how a man was going through old questions at the Vatican, asked by parishioners. One question was

"Is it permissible to smoke while praying?"

The answer from the Vatican was "No, because when you pray, your mind should be focused on God."

Then he found another question, which asked

"Is it permissible to pray while smoking?"

Then answer from the Vatican was "Yes. Any time is a good time to pray."

How you ask a question can make a big difference. :)

Why did they change the residence permit laws in 2014? There were the A countries and the B countries, and A countries could get longer term residence permits that led to citizenship, and B countries only got one year residence permits that didn't lead to citizenship. Now we are all B countries, unless we invest or get married. Correct me if I'm wrong.

In 2014 the whole ball-game changed in Turkey as with many countries, the numbers of foreigners entering the country and applying for residency mushroomed out of proportion. I suspect the rule changes were connected to this.