Sign in to follow this  
Barbara

Turkish Language schools in Kusadasi & Apartment

Rate this topic

I am moving from California/US to the Izmir area in July of this year.  I have visited 3 times in the last 17 months and I am ready to make the leap.

Ideally I would like to get an apt in Kusadasi and study the Turkish Language.  Can anyone recommend a Turkish Language School in Kusadasi?

Also, could anyone recommend a person who speaks English in Kusadasi that could assist with getting an apartment.  I would like a small place by 

the marina or at least walking distance to shops and bus line.

Thank you for any advice.

I have a couple of friends in Kuşadası, I'll get in touch with them and ask for you. Regarding renting an apartment, have a look at this article if you haven't seen it yet. It also has links to the main websites which offer property for sale or rent (at the bottom).

Renting an Apartment in Turkey

Thank you for the link I will look more closely at all the information.  What I am trying to find is a Property agents, or emlak that people would recommend in Kusadasi.

Appreciate your effort about language school in Kusadasi.  I think I would like Kusadasi more than Izmir but it is kind of hard to tell how it would actually feel to live there.

I am sure it would really depend on the location.

Thanks

The main advantage Izmir would have is because the language school Tömer is there. Tömer is part of Ankara University, and is the leading language school in Turkey. The whole Turkish curriculum is in Turkish. To get to intermediate level, there is course 1 through course 8, which results in a certificate of proficiency in Turkish.  If you continue with courses 9-12, you get a university diploma in Turkish from Ankara University. There is no Tömer in Kuşadası unfortunately. The Tömer courses in Izmir cost 1,000 TL per course, but if you buy them two at a time it's 800 TL, and even less if you buy four at a time. Each course is around one month long, and they start on or near the beginning of each month (depending on when the weekend is) and end at the end of each month. They run from 9:00 AM to 12:00 noon, and from 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday. The courses are taught purely in Turkish from beginner to advanced level.

So if your main focus is to get some kind of certificate or a university degree in Turkish, Izmir is the place to be, and Tömer is the school to go to.

Do you want to rent or buy? For either, you'll find that each property agent lists their own properties, there is no multiple listing service. The closest they have to that is the property classifieds to which there are links in the article. I also explained in the article how to work with the property agents.  They sometimes don't want to show other agent's properties because the split of the commission (one month's rent) isn't enough to motivate them, and if you just go to one agent, you will probably see only a small selection of what's available, whereas if you use the property classifieds, you can sort what you need by cost and amenities, location, etc., and then just call whichever property agent is handling those properties, if the owner isn't advertising it themselves.  Property agents are usually referred because of their honesty, but if you're renting that won't matter so much, since you'll end up dealing with the landlord anyway. However, if you want, let me know and I'll ask for a recommendation for you.

In Kuşadası, whatever property agent you deal with, even through the classifieds, they are likely to speak at least some English or have somebody handy who does, since property sales to foreigners is a rather common thing in Kuşadası. You'll see that the property ads in the windows of their shops are usually in English. That is not the case in Izmir, since they don't deal much with foreign renters or buyers.

Kuşadası is sometimes accused of becoming a rather unplanned concrete town, but it does have its charms. The cruise ships dock there to take people to Ephesus, so it's a regular tourism destination. There's a city beach in town which is quite small, which Izmir doesn't have. Choices for much better beaches are at Lady's Beach and Long Beach, not to mention the VERY long and pristine Pamucak Beach to the north. Beach access is a lot easier in Kuşadası, they're just a dolmuş ride away, whereas to get to a good  beach in Izmir you have to take an inter-town minibus to the end of the Çeşme peninsula.

There is little expat community life in Izmir. One of the last times I went there I met a friend of mine at what was previously an expat hangout, and he said I was the first native English speaker he'd seen in two weeks. There is a thriving expat life in Kuşadası, mostly consisting of British expats, who meet together regularly at various pubs and restaurants, by plan or by chance. Because of that, the restaurants have more of a variety of international food. While Izmir has a Chinese and Italian restaurant, they are quite expensive. Izmir isn't a tourism destination.

Probably the best area in Izmir is Alsancak, mostly because of its bay front promenade, but Kuşadası has a nice promenade too. I go to Kuşadası at least once a year and stay with a British expat friend there, who also lived in Izmir for years like me. I asked him if he liked Kuşadası. He liked it a lot, he said the only thing was that because of its size, after being there for a month or so, you've seen all of it. And that wasn't really even a complaint.

If you choose Kuşadası over Izmir it would be a good choice for lifestyle. And it will be a lot easier to make native English-speaking friends in Kuşadası. Izmir's main advantage over Kuşadası is that there is a Tömer school there.

I will get back with you regarding recommendations for Turkish courses in Kuşadası.

Thank you for all the information it is very reassuring to hear information from someone who has lived the life already.

Does it exist in Kusadasi where I would pay someone and they would help with finding an apt, going to bank to buy health insurance 

and dealing with the resident permit?   I feel that I can do all those steps but why reinvent the wheel if there is someone interested in helping.

I want a good school so I am glad I found Tomer but I do not need a certificate and probably only will do Level 1-3.  I want someone to explain to me

the rules, tenses, etc.  Tomer also will arrange a homestay for $400 a month which would allow me to settle in before having to find a place, etc.

Thank you - if you do hear of a language school in Kusadasi I would appreciate the information.

I asked my friend about Turkish language schools in Kuşadası. He said he asked around, and asked people to ask others and let him know. I thought it was strange that there wasn't some Turkish language school there that everybody knew about. He said that it's actually the other way around, there are English schools for the Turks, but the expats in Kuşadası typically don't study the Turkish language.  He said he would continue to ask around and get back with an answer.

Does it exist in Kusadasi where I would pay someone and they would help with finding an apt, going to bank to buy health insurance and dealing with the resident permit?

There's somebody who works for the local expat newspaper "The Ege Eye" in Kuşadası who helps people with residence permits and such. I don't know specifically who it is, but you can contact them for more info.

I want someone to explain to me the rules, tenses, etc.

In course four, they get into verbal nouns, which are important to know, but don't worry...

I have a very comprehensive Turkish course on CD, with recordings and text. It is pretty old, it was published in 1966 by the US State Department (so it's copyright-free), for diplomatic and military personnel who were unable to go to the formal Turkish language school. It is the most comprehensive self-study Turkish course I have ever seen -- 50 courses from basic to advanced, with supplementary conversation on stuff like the economy, politics, etc... The rub is that it's scanned pages which were typed with a 1960s typewriter, so the font takes a little getting used to. I had to take a break from Tömer because of my workload, and I've been using that course for the last month or so. I have all of the recordings on my smart phone, so I can listen to them on the tram or the bus, or whenever I have slack time.

If you want to take a few courses at Tömer to get familiar with the language, then study with that course in Kuşadası, I'd be happy to make a copy of the course and send it to you in Kuşadası. Or I can send it to your address in CA. It's just one CD with 60 recorded courses  and two PDF files of the books. If you want to give me your mailing address by PM, I'll get it in the mail.

I agree that is odd that there isn't at least one Turkish school that everyone knows in Kusadasi.  Thank you for asking around.

Thank you for The Ege Eye contact I emailed them.  

I will take you up on your offer of a copy of the US State Dept study course but will wait until I really move to Kusadasi/Izmir before causing you any expense.

Hi, if you already came to Kusadasi, my wife could help you with Turkish; or, I have a Turkish friend who is a teacher from Ankara, he also gives lessons at his English cafe. There are emlaks on every street, everyone here has a brother who is an emlak, you will have no problem. But if you don't want to pay their commission, you can look on sahibinden.com, for kiralik daire, a rental apartment.. many posts are direct from owner, versus agent, so you save money. It's like Craigslist. What we did was stay in a hotel for a month (we haggled a discount because of the long stay, and got meals included) then took our time and found a great sea-facing apartment for about $450 a month. I also rented my own place, to serve as my 'office/man cave,' for $300 a month, in a 'site,' which is just a fenced apartment complex. Kusadasi is largely apartments, if you want to live close to the seaside.