Need help with Turkish Boyfriend problem

Rate this topic

Selam Arkadaslar! I am really thankful that I found this site! I am Jane and I am from the Philippines. I met my turkish boyfriend through online dating site. We've been together for more than a year now and I love him so much. We've been through a lot problems but we still managed to be together and keep our relationship strong. For the past months I am having a hard time trusting my boyfriend. He cheated on me by having online girlfriends and now I feel that something is wrong again. Anyway my question is my boyfriend ask me to delete or hide my cover photo on Facebook (photo is a collage of picture of him and me together) because he said his sister will get angry at him if she sees it. He said that it is disrespectful for his family and friends if they see and found out that we are officially together without me meeting his family first. I just want to understand is this is true? Is it forbidden for him to acknowledge me or make our relationship known to his family and friends if I haven't met his family? I would really appreciate your help. Thank you in advance.

Hello lahn, welcome to Turkey Central. I suspect the reason he wants you to take down your Facebook photo is because he has another girlfriend.

Have you actually met him in person?

43 minutes ago, Cukurbagli said:

Hello lahn, welcome to Turkey Central. I suspect the reason he wants you to take down your Facebook photo is because he has another girlfriend.

Have you actually met him in person?

Hello! Thank you for answering my question. No. I haven't met him in person. I only see him on video calls. But he give me a copy of his passport, national ID and drivers license so I am sure that he is real. So you mean it is not true that it is part of turkish culture? :-(

I can say that some Turkish men have a lot of online girlfriends at the same time. It isn't Turkish culture and not all Turkish men are like that, but some Turkish men do it. I met one who was engaged to five different women online. Official documents can be rather easily modified with Photoshop. Who knows? Maybe what he is saying is true, but I seriously doubt it. The problem he is more likely having is another girlfriend who might look at your page because you are a friend of his, see the two of you together, and get jealous.

• 4 weeks later...

I suspect that Tater tot may have a point here. Because of cultural differences it is quite common for Turkish men to seek foreign women, sometimes more than one at the same time, when they could not be seen out with an unmarried girl in their home town.

• 4 weeks later...
On 29/03/2016 at 4:07 PM, Ken said:

I can say that some Turkish men have a lot of online girlfriends at the same time. It isn't Turkish culture and not all Turkish men are like that, but some Turkish men do it. I met one who was engaged to five different women online. Official documents can be rather easily modified with Photoshop. Who knows? Maybe what he is saying is true, but I seriously doubt it. The problem he is more likely having is another girlfriend who might look at your page because you are a friend of his, see the two of you together, and get jealous.

I agree with Ken....and yes, his "sister" can be his "wife" too (???) 

I'd be a little bit harsh and suggest you to let him go... if he feels the need of hiding you, he's not worth to keep. IMHO.