HananeKiki

Family Moving to Izmir

Rate this topic

Hi everyone hope you’re well,

We are a small family of 4, (we have two kids a daughter aged 6 and a son aged 4), we plan to move to Turkey , probably buy a property there and settle down. My kids are currently in French schools (they also speak English), so we will probably target either French schools on international English schools.. We would really prefer somewhere quieter safe not over crowded with parks and attractions for children,

Initially we are hesitating mainly between Istanbul and Izmir:

In Istanbul (Asian side) there is a French school “Lycée St Joseph” in Kadikoy , from what I read, the Asian side is much quitter and preferred by locals themselves..

As for Izmir I know that there mainly 2 French schools in Konak. So would it be more advisable to live there (around Konak) or is it possible to live in  Alsancak (Bostanli , for example) and have the kids attend school in Konak? (how would be  commuting daily between the 2 sides?)

Any advice and recommendation would be appreciated!

Wish a nice day

Hanane.

Have a look here:

http://www.investinizmir.com/upload/Sayfa/1125/files/FOREIGN_LANGUAGE_EDUCATION.pdf

It says there are two French schools in Alsancak. In fact I think there was one near me when I lived there.

Alsancak is also in "Konak," but the locals normally refer to "Konak" as being the center of Konak, where the city municipal buildings are, and "Alsancak" as if it was separate from Konak, even though Alsancak is actually within a much broader area called Konak. So technically, Alsancak is just an area within Konak.

If you live in Karşiyaka or Bostanlı, I think that should be no problem. There is regular ferry service between both places and Alsancak, and Konak too. And it would be cool to take a ferry back and forth to school every day. :) It takes about 15 to 20 minutes to get across the bay, and it avoids the road traffic.

I don't know the Asian side of Istanbul, but I do like Izmir, and I don't think anybody would mind living there.

When I lived in Izmir (Alsanjak) I went to a girls school called American Kiz Kolije,  It was run by the British but it was a great private school.  I don't know if it is still there, but I knew quite a few girls who went to that school and really liked it,

Becky, it is still there, now called ACI (American collegiate Institute). They are an IB  (International Baccalaureate) school. It did have some British teachers but was always run by an American board.

Thank you for the information IbrahimAbi.  I only went to that school for one year before my parents put me in the American High School in Alsanjak.  I could walk to school and didn't have tp ride the electric trolley that used to scare me to death!!

They had an electric trolley? They have a light-rail system now called the Izban, goes all the way to Ayvalık and Seljuk now. Did they have a different one back then? I don't think I have ever even heard of it.