Sign in to follow this  
Turkishdream

Bringing my USA car to Uskudar

Rate this topic

Hello

I am needing some specific help. My wife is Turkish I'm currently here in Turkey for the first time and do not want to leave. But I'm a car mechanic and cannot live without at least one car. We currently live in Florida but have an apartment in Uskudar.

My wife has never owned a car in Turkey, so she has no information.

Couple of our cars are under her name inFlorida, my questions

1. Is it easier to import a classic car? Meaning 1985 and older

2. Under her name how can I get a car iimported?

3. Looking for a broker\importer that can complete process start to finish.

Please do  not give me any information about buying a car in Turkey, that is last resort as I'm a car nut and have very rare cars, that probably cannot be found in Turkey

Of the 4 cars whichever is easier to do is what I'm after.

1 2007 Maserati Quattroporte 4.2 v8 engine

2. 1985 Mercede 500sec AMG convertible 5.0 v8 engine

3. 1972 Mercedes 250 coupe 2.8 6 cylinder engine

4 1989 BMW 535i custom pickup truck 3.5 6 cylinder engine

Thanks, I made an appt with Turkish consolute to try and get some answers

A Turkish national cannot import a vehicle into Turkey,so that i'm afraid rules her out. You can now make a temporary import for up to 2yrs,providing those named on the vehicles ownership documents have been out of Turkey for the previous 180 days.

To keep your car here for more than 2yrs you must hold a Work Permit or be officially retired.

Just as an aside,if/when you do ever try to permanently import a and re register a foreign car,the bond required by the Turk Touring Club is calculated on engine size...so all the above will cost you thousands of Dollars in a bond.

Not to mention the road tax which is also based on engine size and quite prohibitive for larger engines even if they are old. Most of the models you have listed can be found on the local market.

Officially from Turkish consulate today 126,000 lira import my Maserati temporarily not including freight or registration. 

Surprisingly my 1985 Mercedes 500 sec AMG convertible is only 24000 lira. Funny thing is right now in States the old Classic Merc buys at least two of the bloody Maserati

My 89 BMW custom pickup is 27000 lira. 

Called Maserati Istanbul today they have a 2007 Quattroporte with same options as mine stateside 144000 lira wow..

Having a car in Turkey a nice car is such an expense makes me really like America more, nevertheless, I'm bringing a car over.

Turkishdream, if you do end up importing a car to Turkey, would you please post about the experience?  You may be the first one we know of who has actually done so, I think everybody else has been scared off by the duties and fees and just bought a car here.

When I retired from my job with NATO, I became a resident, no longer under the status of forces agreement. So my Jeep, which I loved dearly, would have to be "imported" even though it was already here. The customs duties, and the amount I had to keep on deposit with the government was so high, I believe it was more than the Jeep was worth, so I sold it to my brother and shipped it back to the States.

Heading home on Monday with aim to move by Dec 2016. Found a good Turkish school and will figure out which car to ship and rest of progress. I'll put all details here oncei get them. Thanks Ken for all the Great info.

Ibrahim I have a 500 Sec convertible W126 which is rare throughout the world and I doubt there is one in Turkey I could buy and if it was here kilometers being irrelevant it would likely be selling in the 200000 lira range or higher based on what clean coupes are selling for. Unfortunately I've never wanted a 500\560 sec coupe. 

As far as I can tell only one of my cars I can buy here is the Maserati, considering how much money I've spent keeping the Ferrari drive train in perfect working order, I would not buy another.

I looked at a lot of cars today and for certain ill find some work here...

Ok,

Back in Sunny Florida, Missing Turkey....Put some property up for sale, lets see how that goes..Back to car situation there is some incorrect information here. Directly from Turkish Consulate and Turkish embassy in Miami, Florida. Turkish national living abroad can return to Turkey with one vehicle tax free as long as its 5 years old or newer. Being that Ive never had a car payment and tend to buy vehicle when they are about 5 years old or so. We would have to buy a vehicle and have it registered in my wifes name only then ship to Turkey. 

That being said considering the price of luxury cars in Turkey, I am going to buy the most expensive car we can get for cash after selling a few on our cars and move it. Once in Turkey we will sell it and buy something else.

I was hoping to make a business out of this but thats dead. 

2012 Maserati Quattroporte sells here for about $75,000.00 used in Turkey about $168,000.00 US Dollars...Life is good

2015 Chevy Camaro SS here is $46,000 fully loaded in Turkey $124,000.00 US Dollars..

Hopefully the crashing Real Estate market does not accelerate in South Florida before I get my house sold....

Thanks for that update!  But if you buy a car in the States and sell it to someone in Turkey, that would be importing it, have you had a look at what fees and duties which would be involved in that?  It's amazing the prices cars are sold for here. And how they "keep their value," that is, in the US a car depreciates in value as soon as you drive it off the lot, but here they sell used cars much closer to the original purchase price for some reason. I have yet to figure that one out.