Sign in to follow this  
KucukElma

Cost of Living in Istanbul?

Rate this topic

Hi all, I am trying to move to Istanbul about a year from now and I would like to know how much my husband and I will need to be making each month in Lira to live comfortably together. My husband is a smoker, but other than that our expenses would just be the typical stuff. Rent for a one bedroom apartment in a safe area of town (does not need to be big, fancy, or in the central city), groceries, internet, cell phones, utilities, public transportation, occasionally eating out or replacing old clothing.

Look at www.sahibinden.com

There is a link to read in English at the very bottom of the Home page. This will enable you to assess the going rates in each area. Have fun! If you use an agent 'Emlak' they will normally charge you one months rent on completion.

Would anyone happen to have another recommendation for calculating the cost of living in Istanbul? I tried the numbeo site, however that seems very inaccurate. If someone could recommend another tool online, or just give me a basic break down here of like costs for food, transportation, utilities, etc. I'd really appreciate it. I'm willing to live in a non-central and/or semi-rundown area of Istanbul, a private one bedroom apartment or even a studio preferred, and I don't want to do any night life, alcohol, or excessive shopping.

In Istanbul, life is bit expensive than other cities. 

One bread near my home ( not in central  district) cost 1.15 lira

Beef for beefsteak near 50 to 60 lira kg

Tomatoes 3 to 5 liras.

For hair dresser you can find cheap ones if you don't go modern and places for expat. I pay 20 liras for cut and brush

For transportation, one ticket cost 2.30 lira and price discrease if you change line within 2 hours. You buy card near 6 liras and after you put money in it.

Taxis are little bit expensive so i don't yse them often.

For home,it is really depends where you live. I advice you to have look on website previous done to have an idea

Hey Fellas,

How are you? I hope good; I have been absent for a while. I went back for vacation but now I'm back.

As for the cost of living at Istanbul; I am living in here since last 8 months; I can give a rough idea.

A women with her husband would need atleast 2500-3000TL to live a month.

1000 TL would be average Rent and Utility bills; as for someone who is a smoker around 300TL per month for (a pack of cigarette costing 10 Liras per day); Then groceries could be around 500 TL; Transportation can be somewhere between 250-400TL (depending on how much travel and how often); Lets keep 300 Extra for extra things not mentioned above. It is a total of 2500TL; Iam not very much aware of the costs of dresses as I have never bought any for me in my life (Yet :P ).

Good luck.

13 hours ago, IbrahimAbi said:

Other charges would include health insurance around TL 390 if taking government SGK, mobile phone, internet to house

Yes surely Sigorta (health insurance) is mandatory initially for getting a residence permit in first place. I did not mention because I thought them to have already got the residence permit and know this a year charges of 400 TL approx per person (if aged below 25) are mandatory. 

On the subject of health insurance, when getting a residence permit for the first time SGK is not available for the first year, private health insurance must be bought for the first application if the applicant is under the age of 65. For those aged 65 and over health insurance is not required.

This should help you out...

https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living

Basically it makes the comparison from what you are used to in your home country i.e. US.UK, or wherever you may be from in the world.

I passed this on to my co-workers as some of them reside overseas as expats also...seems life is really good in the Philippines.

As an example, the difference between my last place of residence $3,750 vs $1,913 (6,823TL the current rate is $1=3.56TL right now):COL.PNG

I would no problem living off 6,xxx TL a month as a family of 3.

-Phil