Advice on renting a flat

Rate this topic

Hello all. So this has to be a question that someone has asked and is still unclear about.  

Ok So I have been in Turkey for 4 years and when I first moved here I had a flat all set up by the ex.  Since then I moved to a flat with a friend and now to İzmir where I am also staying with a friend.  Now I want to take my own flat and found one, went to see it and it was all good. The man asked what I do for work and I told him teach private lessons to companies as well as individuals.  He seemed agreeable.  I gave him the kapora (the hold money) and then he said that he would meet me Friday at the office that I give lessons at to make the contract.  

This is where I am a bit off at.  Why would he want to meet me at the office that I give lessons at? Is he expecting one of them to sign some kind of paper to be responsible if I for some reason do not pay?  I am really off about this and feel very uncomfortable about asking the people at the company I give lessons at to sign such a paper. I feel uncomfortable asking anyone to do such a thing. 

Any advises on what I should do?  

It's kinda a rush situation since I have already told my flatmate that I will be out of here by 02/07/16.   I am simply lost as to what to do or what to say to this man.

I mean, can I change my mind and get the kapora back?  Can I ask him to not make me have a person to sign the paper? Should I ask the people at the company to tell him that I do not work there but I do give lessons there????

"Why would he want to meet me at the office that I give lessons at?"

It may be completely innocent, but then again, he may also just want to make sure you really have a job and can pay the rent. Rent laws in Turkey often favor the renter, which makes it a real pain to get someone out if they stop paying rent. So it would make sense to me that he would want to make sure you really have a job.

"Is he expecting one of them to sign some kind of paper to be responsible if I for some reason do not pay?"

No. Nobody does that and nobody would expect someone to sign as a garantor for someone else's rent money. I don't know where you got the idea that he might want this, but really I wouldn't worry about it.

"I mean, can I change my mind and get the kapora back?"

I doubt it. You gave him the deposit to hold the apartment so you could rent it. There has been an offer, an acceptance, and consideration paid (the deposit) so actually you already have a contract, it just isn't in writing yet. He took the property off the market for you in exchange for the deposit. If you change your mind, it would be reasonable to me that he would keep the deposit. You should ask a lawyer about it if it's a big issue.

I see nothing out of the ordinary going on here... just tell the truth. If something goes wrong there are hundreds of other apartments available. By the way, if you haven't read it, you might find this article informative:

Renting an apartment in Turkey

If you have any troubles, we have plenty of members here who can help out, so let us know how it goes. But really I think you have nothing to worry about.

He may simply wish to meet you somewhere where you feel comfortable that he is not going to abuse you or cheat you. it is certainly not normal to expect a guarantor for the rent. That is his wish. As Ken says he may also be trying to check that you do work where you have said, and so will be able to meet your rent commitment. Good luck, I hope you love Izmir as much as we did.

• 1 month later...

Hey all.  Because I slow to do things..

I forgot to post to you all about this.  I was almost a wreck and come the day to sign for the flat, I voiced my concern to the man about coming to where I do classes at.  He said to me...

I also work in this area and thought it would be easier for you to meet here so that you did not have to go all the way over to Buca and then back here.   He laughed then because I told him that I was scared about needing a co-signer.  

I then found out that he is married to a British woman and she came along a bit later and he told me that he did not want a co-signer due to the fact that I was not some young girl with a need to party. I think he asked his wife to come and make the decision about it all.  

Funyy that now I have become friends with them both and in the end all went well.  

I do hope others have a good experience when renting a flat.

Hi kadyLady520,

I don't know how much you are familiar with the life in Izmir and how you've been through all relocation things but I would be happy to cooperate in any matters (not necessarily legal) with a newcomer in my hometown :)

Feel free to contact me, 

Cheers,