Salah

buying a property in Fethiye

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

I'm considering to buy a flat in Fethiye ,However,  I'm still confused whether to buy the property through one of the companies here in Kuwait ( where I live and work and in which they offered a free site trip to Turkey in case I bought from them) because I found other properties online at propertyturkey.com look better and with almost half the price they offered.

what do you think buying a property via a website?

I appreciate your feedback on that.

many thanks

Salah

Ken Grubb likes this

Do not buy without looking around. Pegasus fly from Kuwait, book your own flight and look around. We lived in Kuwait and bought a property in Bodrum, Turkey whilst we were there. Look around for 'Satılık' signs (for sale), you do not even need an agent 'Emlak', they want ridiculous commission. If you ask the doorman at any apartment block , or villa complex, he will tell you if any apartments are for sale.

Salah, Sunny and Ken Grubb like this

All properties sell for the same price. And that price is what someone else will pay for it.

The owner comes to the agent, and says "I want 200,000 TL." The agent thinks "I can get 220,000 TL for it." So the agent lists it for 220,000 TL. After the sale, the agent has made an extra 20,000 TL. This is illegal in some other countries, but apparently not in Turkey.

So now the agent has various properties to sell. Then he or she gets into a deal with a foreign company. Of course the foreign company will raise the price, otherwise they wouldn't make a profit. Then they add various other things to charge for, which you probably don't need.

Another point. There is no "central listing system" for property in Turkey. So each agent has only the properties they have convinced a seller to sell through them. It's the same with companies who re-sell from outside of Turkey. They can sell properties listed by other agents, and split the commission, but they will of course push the properties they are listing first, so they can get the full commission.

The real estate commission in Turkey is 6 percent. Three percent is paid by the seller, and three percent by the buyer. Sometimes the seller refuses to pay a commission or negotiates it down, so of course the agent is going to do other things to make sure they make a profit (like marking up the property price).

Ibrahim Abi is right. If you try to save money by not personally visiting the place where you want to buy, you will probably end up paying more money in the end, or later find out that the property was not exactly as you thought it was. For such an important investment, you should go there yourself.

He is also right that you don't need a property agent. But you do need a lawyer. More on that later.

Property agents do advertise "free viewing trips." You probably know that nothing is free. And you may find in the small print that you have to pay for that trip (and more) if you buy a property that they are not listing. On your "free viewing trip," the agent will stay with you like glue to make sure you only look at the properties they are listing. You are likely to find properties they are not listing that you like better, and this will create a problem, since they paid for your trip. So go on your own viewing trip. Have a nice holiday while you're at it. Go to some of the cafes and pubs where the local foreigners congregate and talk to them about the best places to buy, and get recommendations for property agents and lawyers.

Also if you go there, a local property agent won't mind showing you around. If you find a property he or she isn't listing, they can still arrange the sale for half of the commission. And they won't be screaming at you that you must pay for a "free viewing trip."

Here is what I recommend:

See this article. It is about renting a property but it works for buying, too.

Rent an Apartment in Turkey

Visit the links at the bottom of that article. They are links to the major property listings in Turkey. Some of the properties, like on Sahibinden.com (which means "from the owner) are listed by the owner. Many others are listed by property agents. But that's okay, property agents do add value, in that they find and list properties, and help buyers find what they need. They also do a lot of work which doesn't end in a sale, so in my opinion they deserve the commission.

When you find a property you like, contact the seller through the property listings. They have all of their contact info there.

Get a lawyer for yourself. Don't use the property agent's lawyer--he or she works for them, not for you. Make sure the lawyer does everything to make sure the property is actually owned by the seller, that their are no debts on it, and that the property listed is the same property that you are buying! You must make sure you inform your lawyer of this, because it binds them to do it. If you just ask a lawyer to help you buy a property, the lawyer may just think you only want help with the paperwork, but not to investigate the seller or the property being sold.

If you need a good lawyer in Fethiye, I can ask some of my friends there to recommend one.

IbrahimAbi, Salah and Silkroute like this

Hi Salah, I hope you are well. Selecting and buying property in Turkey some times can be tricky. I am associated with a few developers from Istanbul, while taking care of overseas clients in UAE and Pakistan. What IbrahimAbi has advised is quite doable while eliminating the middle man. I would suggest  you to have a reliable local lawyer before getting into any transaction. Good Luck!

Ken Grubb, Salah and IbrahimAbi like this

Glad to see Silkroute here! He is something of an expert when it comes to the ins and outs of buying property from outside of Turkey.

Silkroute likes this

Ken you are very kind ,  well , I am no expert yet but certainly learning the tricks of the trade. At Turkey Central we are all there to advice and help all our guest and the fellow members. Cheers

Ken Grubb likes this

When we bought our first place here in 1992 we rented a room in a cheap pansiyon, had our own car and more ore less 'worked' full days driving around, noting phone numbners, calling people and looking at properties before we found what we wanted. This way you get a feel for the areas that you want. We got tired of agents asking 'what is your budget?' and trying to show us the more expensive properties. They did not understand when we said we don't care what we spend as long as it is value for money.

Ken Grubb likes this

Almost forgot... if you use the Turkish websites I mentioned in the article, they show the price they are selling to other Turks, not to foreigners. So they're bound to be a lot lower.

Salah likes this

Ok guys here's my situation..the real estate company in Turkey they build their own properties they offer 2 bedroom flat +2 baths and salon about 93m2  full furnished & will be handed over next july( brand new)   in Calis Fethyie 2Km away from the beach for 280000 TL( about 64000GBP) the company called Tufan properties in Fethyie.

I would ask : what do you think about this price for a flat in Calis Fethiye?

what do you think about this company if anybody heard of them?

There are many stories about foreigners not getting exactly the deal that they have paid for and expect. Properties not completed/title deeds never being given/company has taken a loan out on the land so deeds cannot be put into purchaser's name.... IMHO it is better to go over and buy from someone who has already got the deeds in their name. Certainly use a reputable solicitor.

The other issue with buying off plan can be that the flats around may not get finished until they are sold, as developers often use the money from one sale to finish other properties.

Sorry Salah, I corrected my post. It is Sahibinden.com.

Do a Google search on the company to see if there are any complaints.

Çalış is a very popular area for foreigners. It has more of a pebble beach than a sandy one, but there is an excellent promenade and some great restaurants. And a main street lined with shops, bars, and restaurants. It is preferred by British holiday-makers.

Again I agree with Ibrahim Abi. I would not recommend buying anything that hasn't been built yet. But if you do, NEVER, NEVER, pay the full amount in advance. Pay in stages as various parts of the project are completed. If a company starts pleading for you to pay everything in advance, offering discounts, etc... it's probably because they don't have any cash, and they need your money to pay their debts.

A lot of these companies operate from a position of debt. Before they even start on your house, they'll use the money you give them to pay their previous debts. Then they'll try to figure out a way to get more money to build your house. If they don't get that money from somewhere else, they'll stop building. And your money will already be gone. Also, they will own your property until they actually sign it over to you on a deed, so you may have a contract, but not a title deed.

If you buy one which is already built, and which already has a title held by the current owner, you won't have these problems.

I don't know the company you mentioned so I cannot comment on that, I am just telling you what I know from the many "horror stories" I hear and read from people who have bought properties before they were built. Of course many have good experiences too, I don't want to paint all of the developers with the same brush. Just don't let your emotions make you eager to buy something, or get carried away with promises, sweet talk and pretty pictures. You really need to be careful when buying property in Turkey.

If you do decide to go to Fethiye, I can also give you some advice about finding a reputable company in person.

We've got some photos of Çalış Beach here if you're interested.

Çalış Beach photos

IbrahimAbi and Salah like this

thanks Ken, that was enlightening, now I'm considering going there myself (without any "Emlak" around)  and yes I'd like if you could give me some advice about finding a reputable company in person. 

what you ,IbrahimAbi mentioned earlier about the agent during the "inspection trip" is quite right, however I thought that they would show me the cities attractions and places, I have never been to Fethiye before I have no clue what to do there or where to look for a good trustful property. 

also I have no idea where to find a good lawyer or solicitor.   

I would appreciate everybody's feedback on this. 

I am sure you will like Fethiye. I have been there many times and am seriously considering moving there myself. For the location I think it's a great choice. Give me a few days and I'll see what I can find out. One question though, would you also consider buying a place which has already been built? I can also ask about property agents who are selling already-built, pre-owned places if you want. Also I'll see about getting some lawyer recommendations. I don't know any lawyers there, but I know people who will know a few.

I don't mine pre-owned places as long as the building in a good condition that's why I have search for new buildings first. 

I sent you by PM a couple of recommendations for companies in Çalış Beach. They sell both new developments and also pre-owned properties, they also provide property management services for when you're not there. I also sent you a lawyer recommendation.

Salah likes this

wow..I have just got a call from Turkey from Propetyturkey.com they answer my inquiry about a flat on their website, of course I'm not gonna fall for any unnecessary costs after the valuable information I've got now from Turkycentral, because now i intend to do my own trip & my own research, I intend to go to Fethiye next May as the weather will be ok but they're telling me the best time to buy is at these days as in May prices will go up ..is it true?

I don't know. But Fethiye is quite seasonal. While it doesn't "die" in the winter like a lot of towns, it becomes full of foreign holiday-makers from May to October. I would think a lot of people combine summer holidays with house-hunting trips. It makes sense to me that there would be a lot more buyers in May than there would be in January, thereby driving prices up.

Hello Salah. I see you have been getting some excellent advice from Ken the others. 

May I suggest that, as you don't know the Fethiye area, that you consider renting somewhere for a while before you buy, as it would give you chance to get to know whether you like the town and the area and decide which part would be best for you, as there are quite a lot of different parts to Fethiye and its surroundings.

May I ask what made you chose Fethiye?

Hi Sunny,thanks for the advice, well I chose Fethiye because I have a friend ( which we share almost likes&dislikes) been there and like the place then he bought a property there. i watched the videos he brought with him and i did my research about about the area I think I like it too, however I believe it's essential to go there myself and examine my 1st impression about it.

Salah I'm curious to know your experience of buying in Fethiye. Did you buy a villa or apartment? I'm also studying the prospect of buying an appartment or villa but for investment does not look very profitable. Big fish eating smaller fish scenario in hotel sector.