Sign in to follow this  
Native

Rentals: Safe/Good areas?

Rate this topic

I am going through contract negotiations with a school at the moment so everything is up in the air. I was wondering though if anyone can tell me which areas inside Istanbul are good rental areas. My main concern is that although I would be working my wife will be bored witless. I am looking for a 2 bedroom apartment in a good/safe area of town where she can do the 'touristy' things and have lunch etc...

I am looking through Craigs List but its pretty meaningless when one doesn't know the area. If there are any Londoners out there a quick comparison to a London area would help enourmously. Thanks! 

Hi native,

Welcome to the Forum. the main issue in Istanbul is transport across the city. You do not want to live in a 'good area' and have your children spend 2 hours on a bus each way. I would start from the locations of school and work and then look for a good match. If you can tell us those, someone on the Forum will be able to suggest some decent areas to look at.

Websites such as www.hurriyetemlak and www.sahibinden.com have property rentals all over Turkey, and the property listings often have maps (harita or akılli harita) to show you visually where they are. However, when you do your search you will need to know the area where you want to live first. I would think that your school could tell you where good places are, or perhaps they can ask one of the other employees to help you out.