PLEASE HELP ME-- URGENT ADVICE NEEDED

Rate this topic

amrit

hi all, i just need some advice. im from the UK and my partner Turkey. I will be visiting him in the coming weeks and as it is his birthday i would like to buy him a mobile phone, i was wondering if it is possible to buy a phone from the UK and have it registered in my name and he can just use his current avea sim card? or does everything have to be done in his name?. please help

Hello Amrit,

Welcome to the forum and the answer to your question is - Yes you can. The phone will have to be registered in Turkey by paying some money (forget how much).

However remember that once registered in your name the phone remains in your name and any infringements will be yours. You can get blacklisted or even put in prison for any problems that can be caused by the use of the phone.

Good luck

You pay the tax at the local tax office and take the receipt back with you to the Avea office. You may have to go to a central Avea office though, when I registered mine with Turkcell I had to go to one of their main communications center. But that was a few years ago, it may be that any shop can do it. It only took me a few hours.

I agree with GDB. Personally I wouldn't do it, but it's up to you. It will cost more, but you can also buy him one in Turkey and he can register it in his name.

Just to add to Kens post...if you register it,this must be done within 60 days of the incoming stamp in your passport. If you register it in your name and you only have an evisa and not a Residence Permit,you will have to purchase a new sim card & the phones IMEI number will be locked to this sim only. The only way he could put  his existing sim in and have it work was if you had a Residence Permit...

As others say,mobiles are not overly expensive here now,much easier to just buy one here & you will be able to  put any sim in.

Personally, I'd just get one in Turkey as it saves all the hassle and it's not that much more expensive taking into account the tax and registration fees.