Sign in to follow this  
eruza

A Home Daycare Facility In Turkey?

Rate this topic

It would be a business, it's not for free! What are the rules and regulations in Turkey about home daycare businesses if any? I have a very young child and the father does not feel like providing, so I am looking into working at a preschool with my child along with, and then eventually have my own small daycare so I can stay home with my daughter more. In the US, home daycares are good businesses for new moms who want to stay home but can't afford it, and many clients are new moms who need to get back to work. I just don't know if this would be something Turkish mothers would need. Many new Turkish mothers don't work and even so I have seen many hire full time nannies and this is just not common in the US. So, since it's not part of the culture, maybe Turkish mothers would hesitate to trust this service. It should be to the point that I would able to keep a waitlist and not be striving too hard to find enough steady clients!     

The care of children aged up to 72 months is regulated by either the social services ministry, who license preschools known as kreş ve gündüz bakımevi (kgb) or the education ministry who license nursery schools (anaokulu). There are many more kgb than anaokulu.

Outside these officially regulated establishments working parents leave children in the care of grand-parents or babysitters (bakıcı). Bakıcı usually come to the home of the child and look after the child and do housework while the parents are at work. There is no system to check people who do this, although foreigners who are employed in this way must have their sgk paid by the parents. However, bakıcı do not seem to be covered by minimum wage and other employment law. Apart from very wealthy families who might employ English speaking au pairs to start the education of the child, most people who use bakıcı are constantly worried about how the child is being looked after because the level of education and personal responsibility of the person is likely to be low.

In UK people can register as childminders and look after 2 or 3 children, but there is no such system here, and it is unikely that one will start because governments and authorities generally encourage women to stay in the family home to look after their own children. Nevertheless a proportion of women are career oriented and more work out of necessity for the family budget, particularly in the big cities and the west of the country.

The requirements for setting up a kgb are quite clear and available on the internet- http://www.resmigazete.gov.tr/eskiler/2015/04/20150430-4.htm

Some of the rules would make it impossible to set one up in one's own apartment because a kgb must have its own unique access, front door to the building and direct access to its own garden. There are also staffing reqirements, a teacher must have either a university degree in preschool education (okul öncesi) or be a graduate of a child development programme (çocuk gelişimi) from a vocational high school. There also needs to be a müdür with the same requirments or a degree in social care or psycholgy. Staff have to be approved by the local social services minsitry before they are entitled to start work, and must be legally employed with a contract, sgk and tax etc.

Setting up a kgb is not too difficult, provided suitable premises can be found to meet the requirements. Caring for other people's children is a terribly big responsibility, so it is hard work. It is nnot something that should be done outside a proper legal framework.

That is some good info thanks fil..

At this time in my life I do not endeavor nor do I meet the requirements to run a kgb according to that list, but this is still very important info.

My idea is something in between a bakici, kgb and an anaokulu...I would be a bakici in the sense that I would care for very few small children and they would receive my utmost attention the whole time. It would be like a kgb because I would provide the location and most of the amenities myself. It would be like an anaokul because I would schedule educational activities throughout the day including English learning and much more. I just think the hardest part would be to be taken seriously as this is neither here nor there in terms of what Turkish mothers are accustomed to, but I may give it a try.

At the moment I have a few anaokullari looking to hire me, and I would like to gain experience and references and I simply need a job now. Ok, so my other issue is how to deal with these anaokullari. They all want to hire me as and English teacher with some arbitrary salary amounts. I've had offers for full time work from anywhere between 1.500-4.300TL per month. I've had one school agree on 100TL per hour but the hours are very few because I won't work for them for less (due to travel time). And none of them seem to offer any contract, work permit or any kind of security that they will always pay or give me a months notice. Is this normal and acceptable for anaokullari if they are supposedly regulated by the milliegtim not to get me a work permit? If so, do I remedy the job security issue by insisting to be paid a month or at least a week in advance? How serious are the laws when a kres or an anaokul hires a foreign English teacher full/part time and what should I agree to because I am new to these schools and don't want to get in trouble or make a big mistake and waste my time. I really need to make an income for my daughter.. Thanks