canpak

Dual Citizen Applying for Turkish Citizenship

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone with dual citizenship has applied for a third Turkish citizenship and if you've run into any issues in doing so. I have both Canadian and Pakistani citizenship and am curious if there is anything important in the citizenship process I should know in regards to this fact.

This is a 2009 law, and I don't know if things have changed. But you can download it here:

Turkish Citizenship Law

Here it says:

Multiple Citizenship

Article 44

– (1) As regards the persons who acquired citizenship of a foreign state for any  reason  whatsoever,  a  remark  explaining  that  they  hold  multiple  citizenship  shall  be  put down  in  their  records  in  the  civil  registration  office,  provided  they  submit  documents approving  their  status  and  it  is  ascertained  after the  examination  that  the  documents  and records prove that they belong to the same person.

From all of the reading I have done concerning foreigners becoming Turkish citizens, I have never seen anywhere where someone has had to give up their home country citizenship. Two other citizenships I don't know.

Probably not much help, but that's all the information I have.

In the pdf article that Sunny posted above, on page 11 paragraph 2, I read it as if the citizenship law states that children of mothers who have acquired Turkish citizenship are treated unfairly compared to children of fathers who have acquired Turkish citizenship. As in, the mothers must give up their dual citizenship in order for her children to acquire Turkish, but fathers do not need to give up anything. Am I reading this correctly?

How many ways are there to obtain Turkish Citizenship?

There are seven ways to obtain Turkish citizenship.

1. Obtaining Turkish citizenship through birth
  2. Obtaining Turkish citizenship through birthplace
  3. Obtaining Turkish citizenship through marriage
  4. Obtaining Turkish citizenship based on the residence in turkey
  5. Obtaining Turkish citizenship through authorities’ exceptional decision
  6. Obtaining Turkish citizenship by being adopted by a Turkish National
  7. Re-obtaining Turkish Citizenship

How can I obtain Turkish citizenship through marriage?

According to Turkish Law a foreigner cannot obtain Turkish Citizenship after marrying a Turkish Citizen right away. If you are married to a Turkish Citizen and your marriage continious  3 years or more,  you can make an application for Turkish Citizenship. After you make an application,authorities will eveluate  whether your marriage real or not  than they will decide about the citizenship status.

How can I obtain Turkish Citizenship based on my residency in Turkey?

If you want to obtain Turkish citizenship through your residency in Turkey, you must check if you meet the conditions stated below:

• You should be in the age of majority and have the capacity to act either according to your own national law or, if you are stateless, according to Turkish law which requires 18 years old as the age of consent.  ( You should have a legal capacity to make an application)
  • You must have been resident in Turkey without interruption for five years preceding the date of your application.
  • You must verify your determination to settle down in Turkey with your manners.
  • You must have no disease constituting an obstacle in respect of public health.
  • You must be of good moral character.
  • You must be able to speak a sufficient level of Turkish.
  • You must have income or profession to provide for maintenance for yourself and your dependants in Turkey
  • You must have no quality constituting an obstacle in respect to national security and public order.

Will I lose my origin nationality if I obtain Turkish Citizenship?

This depends on the nationality you have. Some countries’ law does not allow you to have dual-nationality and some do, so it is advised to check with your countries’ authorities about up-to-date regulations.

Countries that allow dual citizenship

Please keep in mind that this list might change according to regulation changes in the countries:

• Australia
  • Barbados
  • Belgium
  • Bangladesh
  • Canada
  • Cyprus
  • United States(USA)
  • United Kingdom (UK)
  • Switzerland
  • South Korea
  • South Africa (after permission)
  • Egypt (after permission)
  • Greece
  • France
  • Finland
  • Germany (requires prior permission)
  • Iraq
  • Italy
  • Israel
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Sweden
  • Slovenia
  • Syria
  • Serbia
  • Armenia
  • Lebanon
  • Malta
  • Spain (allows only certain Latin American Countries)
  • Tonga
  • Phillipines
  • Sierra Leone
  • Sri Lanka (by retention)
  • Portugal

Countries that do not allow dual citizenship

(Please keep in mind that this list might change according to regulation changes in the countries):

• Andorra
  • Austria
  • Azerbaijan
  • Burma
  • Bahrain
  • Botswana
  • Japan
  • China
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Fiji
  • India
  • Indonesia
  • Ecuador
  • Estonia
  • Iran
  • Korea
  • Kuwait
  • Latvia
  • Lithuania
  • Pakistan
  • Poland
  • Singapore
  • Slovakia
  • Solomon Islands
  • Malaysia
  • Mauritius
  • Myanmar
  • Nepal
  • Netherlands
  • United Arab Emirates(UAE)
  • Romania
  • Thailand
  • Mexico
  • Nepal
  • Venezuela
  • Norway
  • Zimbabwe

Do I have to change my name after obtaining Turkish Citizenship?

No, you do not have to have a Turkish name and a surname when you are obtaining Turkish citizenship.

What are the documents I need  for the Turkish Citizenship application?

According to Turkish Nationality Act (numbered 403), a foreigner should  meet the following requirements in order to apply for Turkish nationality.

• Application can be made through our Consular Section or the local Governor’s office in Turkey with the following documents.
  • A document revealing the present nationality of the applicant, i.e. passport or birth certificate.
  • If married to a Turkish national, the official documents confirming the identities and family ties of the spouse and the under aged children.
  • Certification of applicant’s ability to speak Turkish (a certificate will be issued by our Consular Section   upon a successful interview of the applicant).
  • A medical certificate confirming the applicant’s good health and being free from any infectious diseases that may endanger the public health (this certificate can be obtained from the local GP or family doctor).
  • 4 photographs
  • Completed application forms which can be obtained from our Consular Section
  • Certification and translation fees.
  • Completed dossiers are transferred to the Ministry of Interior of the Republic of Turkey, which in turn will consider and process the applications on their merits. The applicants will be informed of the outcome by this Consulate in due course.

Where can I make my application for Turkish Citizenship?

If you are residing in Turkey you must make your application to Governer’s Office in your province ( In some big cities this might change).

If you are in abroad you can make your application via the Turkish consulate in your own country.

In both cases, your citizenship application will be reviewed by the Turkish Interior Ministry and you will have to go through an interview process.

Can I give power of attorney to a lawyer to represent me and make the application on my behalf?

Making an application via a representer is possible according to Turkish law.However due to the sensitivity of the process at some stages authorities will need to see you face to face (i.e. interview).

Thank you everyone for the information and links. I have a feeling it won't be an issue. I recently got my Pakistani national identity card renewed and even though Pakistan doesn't allow for dual-citizenship, I'm still a Pakistani and Canadian citizen. I feel like this is a rule not many countries enforce. I don't think I have any restrictions on obtaining Turkish citizenship when the time comes, and it is highly unlikely Pakistan or Canada would force me to renounce citizenship.