Shoala

Istanbul , Antalya or Izmir !?

Rate this topic

6 members have voted

1. 1. Whats the best city to live in to you !?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 posts in this topic

Hey all,

Im about to move to turkey by 2016. Lets forget about work and job opportunities.

What do you think is the best city to live in ?

For some reasons I need to live in a city which having access with shopping malls and International Brands like Nike, adidas, H&M, Zara, Mango, ..... 

Istanbul might be the best city of Turkey but when it comes to cost of living I not so sure.

What city do you recommend ? why ?

IbrahimAbi likes this

Izmir is energetic, bright, cosmopolitan, friendly and is easy to get out of to very interesting places. there are nearby beaches, coastal villages, hiking places and the people are very friendly. I have also lived in Istanbul and frequently visit Antalya.

Shoala likes this

It all depends on your age, finances and what you want out of life.

Istanbul is the city of the world's desire and I had a great time there when I was young free and single. If I had loads of time and money now I would like to live there again. But getting around the place is just mad.

Ankara is worthy but dull.

Izmir I don't know very well but seems like a nice place and liveable.

Antalya is nice and liveable too but the heat and humidity are horrible in July and August.

So my answer to the poll is I don't know. 

Shoala, Aysun and IbrahimAbi like this

I believe Istanbul has the highest cost of living of the three.

It also depends on where you live in these cities. You could find apartment near a mall, or one far away from everything. Each city has excellent public transport, so it's just a metro ride to a mall or shopping area if you're near a metro stop. And there's always the bus.

All three cities have international airports, which is a plus. Not only can you travel internationally but you can get from one city to another in an hour or so.

Istanbul is kind of a city of towns, each with a different flavor. Taksim and Beyoğlu are known for their foreign influence and night life, a lot of the other areas in the city are more traditional and Turkish. And there are many suburbs as well. I haven't lived in Istanbul so I don't know the suburbs too well. I've lived in Izmir and I live in Antalya now.

Izmir is different from other cities because it has a more European flavor to it. It's offical city center is Konak, where all of the government and most of the business activities are. Alsancak is where there are lots of nice restaurants and bars and pubs, also name-brand stores like you mentioned. It's on the bay, with a pleasant promenade. You can take a ferry to get to various places from there, like Karşiyaka. Rents are high as a result. Karamanlar is near Alsancak and has lower rents. Also the area around Kibris Şehitleri Caddesi.  Bornova, a university town, is reportedly a nice place to live. Also Karşiyaka, also with lower rents. Balçova has a large mall there. If I could live anywhere in Izmir, it would be Alsancak or around there. Izmir also has a metro, and the "Izban" light rail train which can get you around. It has no real tourism trade, it's mostly a working city. Tends to empty out during the summer because everybody goes to the local beaches along the peninsula. Izmir is more like a "big small town" than a big city like Istanbul.

Antalya involves four different areas.

Kaleiçi: Kaleiçi is the ancient walled city. Like a labyrinth, you can get lost in there. Lots of antique homes and cobblestone streets, restaurants, bars, shops and cafes. This is mostly where the tourists go. Practically everybody speaks at least some English there. I don't know the rental prices there though.

City Center: Outside Kaleiçi and around is city center. It's not much different than any other Turkish city. Things are packed tightly together. Much less English-speakers, and most of the restaurants are Turkish, it's where the locals live. Rents are quite low there. I'm paying 650 TL for a three-bedroom apartment in Sinan Mahalle, city center. One area, Işıklar, has pleasant streets and low rents. The nice thing about city center is that you don't need a car. No upscale stores, but everything you need is probably within walking distance.

Konyaaltı: A more upscale suburb which stretches out west towards the commercial port. It has a very long pebble beach, and a couple of shopping malls. It is a lot more spread out, so you would need to have a car, or take a bus to a mall unless you lived near one of them. The more affluent Turks live there, so rents are higher, and the neighborhoods are nicer.

Lara: Also an upscale suburb but with more tourists than Konyaaltı. Some of it is cliffs, but there is an excellent sandy beach (approx 45 minutes bus ride from city center). Part of the beach is public, the other part is dominated by five-star all-inclusive hotels. In town there are three or four excellent malls, such as Terra City. Also more expensive than city center, but I have met Turkish friends who have two-bedroom apartments near the beach for around 800 TL per month.

If you really love city life, Istanbul. If you want a more European flavor, a cosmopolitan lifestyle, Taksim or Beyoğlu in Istanbul, or Izmir. If you don't mind being very hot in the summer, but want lower rent prices and cost of living than Istanbul or Izmir, then choose Antalya.

I voted for Izmir. But I live in Antalya because the rent prices are lower.

Aysun, IbrahimAbi and Shoala like this

Thank you all very much for all the opinions you shared with me.

I will keep all your thoughts in mind :)

Wow! Applause guys smile.png

As a Turkish person, I'd say that you all did a great job and gave a great summary about all the options smile.png

I was born and grown up in Istanbul but when I reached to a certain age, I couldn't stand the stress of the city anymore and moved to Antalya. I'm quite happy to live in my dream city....yes, the heat and humidity kills you sometimes and I started to think about moving to a little bit healthier climate...maybe direction to the hills...

Antalya can satisfy all my social needs with all the concerts/cinemas/theatres/festivals/outdoor activites/historical sites/beaches.... I'd just wish to have a little bit more considerate people around...

Good luck on your quest Shoala smile.png

Shoala likes this

Wow! Applause guys smile.png

As a Turkish person, I'd say that you all did a great job and gave a great summary about all the options smile.png

I was born and grown up in Istanbul but when I reached to a certain age, I couldn't stand the stress of the city anymore and moved to Antalya. I'm quite happy to live in my dream city....yes, the heat and humidity kills you sometimes and I started to think about moving to a little bit healthier climate...maybe direction to the hills...

Antalya can satisfy all my social needs with all the concerts/cinemas/theatres/festivals/outdoor activites/historical sites/beaches.... I'd just wish to have a little bit more considerate people around...

Good luck on your quest Shoala smile.png

Hey Aysun 

thank you so much for your good wishes and Yes Im thinking Antalya gonna be my dream city as well :)

Hope to see you all there 

BTW any of you knows anything about Bursa ?

PS: Looking forward to have you replying my email :)

Good day

Aysun likes this

Bursa is one of the greenest cities of Turkey. I've never lived there but I had some friends from Bursa. They love the place. There's a very famous ski center (Uludağ) is there. Food is great (Hometown of Iskender Kebap), people are calm, environment is nice, there are lots of nice places to visit in summer. Not very far from Istanbul.  

These are the plus things I heard about Bursa. Is there any member from Bursa here?

Shoala likes this

It depends on your lifestyle and ideology a bit too.  Some cities are very religious and the culture-shock is heavy and I wouldn't recommend them unless you are Muslim.

I'm assuming most people on this website are non-Muslims and all those choices you presented are good.  All those brands you named are in all big cities so I wouldn't worry about having access.

Antalya and Izmir are the only choices, if you want more of the beach-life if you go more inside the country it's very scenic but a lot of people can get bored...like in Ankara...which is where I live, which is cheaper to live in, has all the shopping you could dream of, all government buildings are here, good schools...but there's no like strong "outdoorsy" thing to do besides seem some old castles and hiking.  Most people who move to Ankara do so for a particular reason, not because it's an option.

Antalya I'd recommend more since it's easier to adapt to, you get lovely beaches and lots of foreigners.  And others who actually live in Antalya can say more on that.

Bursa would be nice, cheaper than Antalya to live in.  It's a historic city so lots of old stuff to see there and some stuff to do.  Less boring than other cities, you can get a good city feel without the intense population of Istanbul.  This city is a bit more conservative but it should be very friendly moreso than other places.  That's all the info I have about that place, I have yet to go there.

It's a tough decision, really all the cities here are so unique and fascinating.  If I could I'd move to each one for a year just to try all the flavors of Turkey.

Shoala likes this