Sign in to follow this  
Fil

is a car alarm necessary?

Rate this topic

What do you reckon? For a new car, Turkish owned and registered. Is the immobiliser, key etc enough to deter thieves? Anyone know the stats for how many cars get stolen or robbed and how? Compared with other places like uk for example.

My first car in Turkey, a Skoda pick-up remained unlocked for ten years and never had any problems. Granted to a car thief it wasn't the most attractive car on the street though.

Alarms are intrusive and are often set off accidentally, and annoy the neighbours. A Good anti-theft device which is visible will deter thieves if you are leaving the car for a while or in a large city. Otherwise I would not worry as much in Turkey as in the UK.

I found some stats that seem to show Turkey is very low in this sort of crime.

http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/stats/Crime/Car-thefts

I read elsewhere that the rate has gone down a lot since 2006 as well, because of measures that make it harder to steal cars here..

Can't be sure how accurate this is though. And why is new Zealand so high up? It is not as if they have neighbouring countries where a stolen vehicle can be taken.

So a car being stolen seems to be low risk. What about theft from the car? I suppose leaving nothing visible to the outside would be the main precaution.

Ibrahim abi, what do you mean exactly by a visible deterrent? 

I have  a large bar which is high tensile and toughened steel cased in plastic which can be locked to the steering wheel. It makes it impossible to drive without unlocking it. Toy can get others that lock the brake pedal to the steering wheel, and others that lock the hand brake to the gear stick.

I do not use it now, but did when leaving my car for several months.

Excellent reference Fil. Thanks for posting that, it will come in handy for me in the future.

I think the stats are going to vary widely depending on where you are. Cukurbagli lives in Kaş, for example, where theft in general is rather rare. I wouldn't try it in some neighborhoods in Istanbul, though. With Cukurbagli's truck I might.

The insurance premium that you pay is based on the area that your car was registered in. In my agent's office I overheard a conversation in which he advised a customer who was driving an Istanbul registered car to get it reregistered locally as the premium would fall dramatically. This is something to bear in mind when buying a second hand car (will not apply to foreigners, as we are obliged to get a new plate with the number of the province in which we have our residence permit).

Thanks for all your inputs.

The booklet claims that the key and immobiliser technology make it impossible to start the engine without the key. Probably that is an overclaim, but it does seem that the technology makes theft more difficult. It may be one of the causes for the decline in thefts in Turkey in recent years.

I was surprised that the dealer did not offer to install an alarm as an extra. Possible explanations...

An alarm is unnecessary and they don't want to put the customer to unnecessary expense (naive).

Alarms are a nuisance for the dealer as they often go worng and lead to complaints.

They don't make enough profit on them to take up the time of their staff.

All these are my speculation. Any thoughts?

PS concerning insurance costs, the compulsory element was 401.19TL and the kasko was 1271.45TL, that is about 2% of the value of the vehicle.

Thanks Fil, the kasko insurance can depend on the clauses that you insist upon. Mine for example includes towing to the authorised service dealer and repair with original parts by the authorised dealer, and car rental for a week etc. It is horses for courses.