Sign in to follow this  
Ken Grubb

Mark Twain's Opinion on Travel

Rate this topic

Hear Hear, More people should try it, but IMHO it is only really useful if you 'go it alone' and make your own trip. 5 star-all-in holidays are not, in my view, mind stretching or intellectually stimulating.

5 star-all-in holidays are not, in my view, mind stretching or intellectually stimulating.

A very good point. That's not "travel."

I have always traveled alone, just me, with few exceptions. And I've gotten into situations and met people and learned things I don't think I could have, if even one other person was with me. Especially in Turkey. In my experience, Turks don't seem to like seeing someone who is alone. So they approach you and talk to you, and get to know you, so you won't feel so lonely. Even if you're not feeling lonely. You meet and get to know a lot more people when you go it alone.

I talked to a young Turkish man the other night. I think I might have been the first American he has actually had a conversation with. He confided in me that he had always thought Americans were "mean people." I explained to him that it wasn't that way, that all cultures have nice people and mean people. That I thought Americans and Turks were alike in a lot of ways. And that television (from which I think he's formed his opinion) is not a good way to know what Americans are like.

I doubt he has ever been in another country before (he was only 18 or so), and has probably formed some of his opinion based on what he's seen on television.

That quote from Mark Twain came to my mind.

For some reason we tend to compare and contrast other people and cultures rather than focusing on the similarities.