AmarSalameh

Settling in Turkey

Rate this topic

Hello, I made it to Istanbul and checking both sides. Rent is more than double than Canakkale. I like the landscape is Asia and the greeneries. Still checking rents.

There are certain shops here to buy furniture and electronics cheaper than the market ( like distributors) will post names of shop when the time comes.

I want to let you know that the office that issues the residency cards sends a message when they post the card by mail. Then they send another message when it is delivered, which is nice. Mine is delivered but since am not in Canakkale, I am trying to get hold of the apt management. Not worried at all and hoping for the best

Am settled in Istanbul Asia! I skipped the hassle and expense to a brand new furnished 1+1 apt. It is so small :) like 50 squared feet! Except it's got everything and comes with a fabulous view both rooms to four prince islands! Lucky ha!

I am heading in shallah to Canakkale tomorrow for a day visit to pick up my residency card! Excited. Canakkaleis sure a place you'd miss and want to visit back, but not to live there, not yet for me. Maybe the right time will come one day for Canakkale.

I am back to swimming, no workout yet, done 20025 meters today yaaaay

Turkish language course on mid Aug, family members and friends visiting and during summer and all is going smooth

You would have to understand that England was hell bent on destroying Turkey nearly 100 years ago so I am actually a bit happy of their attitude towards foreigners in Canakkale as it's a sort of pilgrimage for mourning and reflecting on the past and not really a place I'd recommend for foreigners particularly the British people. (Not saying this directed at you but at people in general)  That being said naturally I feel bad that it was a bit hard of a city to move to, but it looks like you've found a better place now.

Istanbul is such a hard city to live in, everytime I visit I just am in awe on how people can live in such a thriving metro.  I give you respect for being brave enough to endure it...but then again anything over 1 million people is to large for me.  I'm not sure if you have been to Ankara, but it's where I live and it's an interesting place to be.  Then again I'm just trying to sucker as many foreigners to move here as possible so it doesn't feel like I am the only one hahaha.

I hope your Turkish courses go well, I have such a hard time with the language after 6 months I can understand like 50% and speak like 10%.  There's enormous pressure around me to speak it fluently and having a rebellious spirit makes me dislike the language...I also was kindly asked to leave my language course, they tried failing me twice despite passing my exams and homework.  I guess I rub Turks the wrong way or they aren't friendly of an American Muslim.

Either way I hope your excited for your new place, it's nice having your own home and after the bit of chaos it is to move to Turkey I'm so happy I have a retreat to run home to.  Do you have some nice home slippers yet?  You sound like such a busy girl! MashAllah to your successes so far

Hello, I guess I owe the people of Canakkale an explanation here. The city and the people were very friendly and cooperative. The process could've been worst elsewhere. I disnt hear about electricity rules and its is all over Turkey by the way. It depends on the landlord if he keeps the bills by his name or not. If I had known, the whole scenario would have changed. I wouldn't look for furniture and might think twice before renting a place and would have been prepared psychologically for the waiting time frame. Wot made it hard is fasting because it wasn't possible to leave hotel after breakfast and during the day I didn't go out unless I had to. I had no doubt that the sas electronics would give my money back because of the person who recommended them, it's a tradition or social norm. The worries of the unknown was too much and I sensed it wasn't what I want soon after and I kept on denying it because I was eager to settle. That feeling tortured me. If I stayed here I could've saved quite good money. But everything comes with a price.
I don't think it's one of my appreciated languages either because they got a mix of English, French, Arabic and Latin I guess and probably more. I don't want to set presumptions about my performance. I think you have it bumpy in Ankara, one thing am sure of is that Turkish don't care about your nationality or religion! Though they just have to ask you where are you from, and that is because it's an exciting matter to them to have been in contact with someone from abroad. They like to be in your own country one day.
I got my reidence card and am happy they went for the passport picture:)))
On my way back to Istanbul, ah about Istanbul, I pick the life stile that suits me here, I basically don't have to do what I don't want to do.
All the best to you all and many thanks
By the way am not British smile.png
All the bes