Elysiva

how to buy a computer for a friend in istanbul

Rate this topic

I do not speak Turkish.  I have a friend in Istanbul.  I wish to buy them a new or used computer from a Turkish store or website and send it to my friend.  I have a MasterCard.

I contacted several stores by email, but none replied in English. 

Any suggestions?

Elysiva

Usually with computer stores I go to one of the big ones, usually somebody there speaks English or my Turkish is good enough. One thing you can try is www.hepsiburada.com. They have a huge inventory of computers and electronics. You can use Google Translate (translate.google.com) along with it. You should be able to figure it out that way, then pay by credit card and have it shipped you your friend's address.

Both answers are great advice. Find a Turkish person to help you wade through the online purchasing, not as easy as it may sound even with Google Translate. We have had great results with hepsiburada.com but speaking and reading Turkish is a must.

Otherwise if you are Istanbul, you are in "Techno heaven" as there are many, many computer stores in shopping malls. As Ken says there will probably be at least one or more English speakers to help you.

All electronic items in Turkey are warranted (from the manufacturer) for two years by law. Hepsiburada will take back any purchase with problems in the first 30 days. Check with local stores about their warranty and return policies.