Typical Monthly Expenses

Rate this topic

Aliarian

Hi!  I'm trying to write a practical guide to present-day living costs for expats and summer vacationers in Turkey.  As prices do vary from community to community, and have fluctuated quite a bit over recent years, I would love to have some input from expats in various communities and frequent travelers to Turkey.  Whatever questions you can answer or prices you can fill in would be appreciated.

Arianne

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Number of Members in Your Family:

Retired Couple, Family with Kids, Single, Other:

Live or Vacation in Turkey:

City:

Do you own a residence, rent a residence, or stay in a hotel?

If you own or rent, is it a flat or a villa?

What is your monthly rent?

What is the typical monthly rent for a decent 2 BR flat in your community?

Weekly rent for a 2 BR flat in summer?

Typical Expenses:

• Weekly Groceries:

• Breakfast Out:

• Lunch Out:

• Dinner:

• Drinks:

• Bus or Subway Ticket:

• Taxi:

• Shuttle or Bus to Airport?

• Museum Entrance:

• Monthly Gas Bill (Summer):

• Monthly Electricity Bill (Summer):

• Monthly Water Bill (Summer):

• Monthly Phone Bill:

• Monthly Internet Bill:

Is there anything unusually expensive about the community where you live? Any other [major] expenses not covered on the list?

Give Numbeo a try. They have cost of living estimates, for many places in Turkey, based on data collected from people who live there. I don't know if it would cover all of your interrogatives, but it will probably cover many of them. You can even do comparisons between cities.

Give Numbeo a try. They have cost of living estimates, for many places in Turkey, based on data collected from people who live there. I don't know if it would cover all of your interrogatives, but it will probably cover many of them. You can even do comparisons between cities.

Thanks!  I have looked at Numbeo before.  Unfortunately they don't calculate in two critical factors on this issue - price fluctuation between seasons, and local vs. expat vs. vacationer expenditures.  Which is why I'm trying to figure out a more specific range of expat/seasonal resident expenditures for Turkey's most popular season.  

Wow, there are so many variables involved in this. I don't think it's possible to get a reliable answer, but I'll give it a try. I live in Antalya. I am on the road right now so I don't have my bills, but I can guestimate.

Number of Members in Your Family: 1

Retired Couple, Family with Kids, Single, Other: Single

Live or Vacation in Turkey: Live

City: Antalya City Center

Typical Expenses:

Weekly Groceries: 80-100 TL, but I eat out a lot.

Breakfast Out: From 10 TL to 25 TL. You can get a basic Turkish breakfast with a boiled egg, tomatoes, cucumber, bread, cheese, and tea for less than 10 TL. Breakfast is typically included with a hotel stay, even at a pension. A deluxe breakfast with a wider variety, like an omlette, more vegetables, etc. might cost 25 TL.

Lunch Out: 15 - 20 TL

Dinner: 25 TL

Drinks: Varies according to the place, the view, cheapest is around 8 TL for a beer.

Bus or Subway Ticket: 3 TL.

Taxi: Depends on where you want to go of course. The municipalities determine the taxi prices, unfortunately I don't have exact numbers on that.

Shuttle or Bus to Airport? Some airlines provide a courtesy bus from their company office in city center to the airport, which is free. But if you paid it would be around 40-50 TL. A taxi is around 50 TL.

Museum Entrance: If you're talking about the Antalya museum, I don't know, you could find out online though. There are several ancient sites around Antalya, priced from 3 TL to maybe 20 TL.

Monthly Gas Bill (Summer): None. I only use gas for cooking, I bought a bottle of propane maybe a year ago and I'm still using it, but I don't cook every day.

Monthly Electricity Bill (Summer): This will vary a lot too. I use electric air conditioners, it costs me around 250 TL per month in summer.

Monthly Water Bill (Summer): Probably around 15-18 TL.

Monthly Phone Bill: 20 TL

Monthly Internet Bill: Not sure, but  I think it's around 30 TL. Prices vary according to what package you choose.