What Would Be the Fine for a Five-day Visa Overstay in Turkey?

Rate this topic

My 90 day visa is coming to an end soon. I really would like to stay for about 5-6 days after this. 

I had been thinking about applying for the residence permit. 

Or... 

maybe I could just pay the fine. I have researched this topic a bit, and it seems the fines vary widely. 

At the low end of the scale, I have seen fines for just 100TL, or even nothing... 

However, if the fine could be anything like 200euro/500TL and above... I don't think I would chance it. That's just too much. 

So - any guesses as to how much a 5 day overstay, on average, might cost? (including fluttering my eyelashes innocently at passport control)

Also, I definitely want to return about 90 days later, so i'm hoping the overstay wouldn't affect that or incur any sort of ban (assuming I pay on the spot). 

I read an article about the latest overstays and saved it on my computer, unfortunately I'm on the road now and don't have access to it. From what I recall short overstays like that are not fined heavily. I believe it was under 100 TL. They don't ban you from re-entry until it gets to something like 30 days or more (I think even more than that).

On 23/05/2015 at 06:19, Ken said:

I read an article about the latest overstays and saved it on my computer, unfortunately I'm on the road now and don't have access to it. From what I recall short overstays like that are not fined heavily. I believe it was under 100 TL. They don't ban you from re-entry until it gets to something like 30 days or more (I think even more than that).

I'd love to read that article, when you get a chance. 

Maybe you could sticky it, as I believe this is much sought-after info. 

I'm trying to compare the costs of overstaying a few days, versus the price (never mind the HASSLE) of a residence permit. 

I figure, with the price of health insurance, plus notary fees (and that tax if your rental contract mentions a deposit), plus the actual cost of the permit itself, and the taxis to get you to these middle-of-nowhere compounds, ...and miscellaneous unforeseen costs, it's probably gonna cost minimum €300 to get a residence permit. 

So if the fine for overstaying about a week is significantly less than that, then it's worth it, IMO. 

Will be interesting to see that article.