Sign in to follow this  
MonicaSandoval

Two marriages?

Rate this topic

Hello,

I have a question. Can you get married twice one in the USA and the other in Turkey? I am not speaking ceremony wise. I am speaking legally. For example, we get married in the USA with a judge can we get married with a judge over there too?

I'm presuming you mean to the same person... lol!  <3

Technically, no, you can't. 

I'd say, if they don't know you're already married, then, yes...  Just don't say you're already married.  That way, you can get the "red book."  : )

Hello Monica, 

Answer is not that simple, it's quite contraversial. IF you get married in US and then you want to re-marry in Turkey, you can't because law does not allow that. Important question is how do they find out whether you are actually married in another country? They do. When couples apply to Marriage Office, they require paper of which has to say that your marital status is single. Plus, this paper has to be issued and certified by the non-turkish person's home country consulate. In this case, US Consulate. 

There might be another solution though. Let's suppose, an American- Turkish couple has already get married in Canada (I dont think Canadian law prohibits that as they are quite international people). Then, they want to remarry in Turkey. I think this time it would not be problem, considering the fact that US Consulate would not be aware of Canadian marriage registration.    

I do not know why a couple want to remarry in another state, but i intent to response your lead hypotetically :)

Regards,  

I'm presuming you mean to the same person... lol!  <3

Technically, no, you can't. 

I'd say, if they don't know you're alreadyarrow-10x10.png married, then, yes...  Just don't say you're alreadyarrow-10x10.png married.  That way, you can get the "red book."  : )

Yes it is to the same person smile.png

Hello Monica, 

Answer is not that simple, it's quite contraversial. IF you get married in US and then you want to re-marry in Turkey, you can't because law does not allow that. Important question is how do they find out whether you are actually married in another countryarrow-10x10.png? They do. When couples applyarrow-10x10.png to Marriage Office, they require paper of which has to say that yourarrow-10x10.png marital statusarrow-10x10.png is single. Plus, this paper has to be issued and certified by the non-turkish person's home country consulate. In this case, US Consulate. 

There might be another solution though. Let's suppose, an American- Turkish couple has alreadyarrow-10x10.png get married in Canada (I dont think Canadian law prohibits that as they are quite international people). Then, they want to remarry in Turkey. I think this time it would not be problem, considering the fact that US Consulate would not be aware of Canadian marriage registration.    

I do not know why a couple want to remarry in another state, but i intent to response yourarrow-10x10.png lead hypotetically smile.png

Regards,  

Thank you for the information. The reason is that we wanted to have two wedding including officials (Judge) certifying the marriage in both marriages both in the USA and in Turkey. He wanted to have his family involved over in Turkey during this signing process too. Guess we can  sign translation marriage certificatedocumentsarrow-10x10.png as part of signing process either here or over there.