Advice Please For New Business Start Up

Rate this topic

Hi to everyone, my name is Amber, I’m British and live in TRNC.

I’ve been asked to set up a direct sales company in Turkey for a UK firm looking to tap into the Turkish market.

I don’t speak any Turkish but the Sales people I hire will need to, as well as perfect English in order to be able to understand me whilst training them.

Where does anyone kind enough to be reading this post suggest I look for these bi lingual employees, typically between 21 and 30? I won’t be using recruitment consultants as the ones in the UK are bad enough and wouldn’t spot a sales professional in a million years. Plus I prefer to train highly motivated, enthusiastic people from scratch myself.

Next, does anyone think, since the majority of this company’s clients will be Men, there might be any prejudice, from Men towards Female Sales people over the phone. Do Turkish Men on the whole take Women seriously and concentrate on the message rather than the messenger? The Women will be offering advice and guidance amongst other things.

Finally, does anyone know a good list brokerage?  A Turkish Dun and Bradstreet if you will, that will sell lists of names and telephone numbers. I can get them from the USA but would rather buy from the source. Just high net wealth individuals, incomes over £200k, Boat owners, stock market investors and things like that. Plus lists of e.mail addresses.

I have a great accountant and the Legal legwork done, plus the Universities here in TRNC gagging to send people for interviews. But the leads situation and the sex discrimination issues are troubling me. I’ve noticed a general lack of respect towards Women in the 5 years I’ve been here and the thought of training 10 guys and 10 Ladies over a month, only for the Ladies to crash and burn, is not a pleasant one. I can’t afford to launch a social experiment at a cost of tens of thousands of pounds, nor can I change the culture. So I have to be guided by friends and people in the know.

The people on this forum seem friendly, knowledgeable and helpful, and I would be most grateful for any guidance a reader may be kind enough to offer me.

Many thanks.

I'll try to help if I can.

Have a look at the links at the bottom of this article first:

Finding a Job in Turkey

Some of those sites are used by Turks and foreigners as well.

Next, does anyone think, since the majority of this company’s clients will be Men, there might be any prejudice, from Men towards Female Sales people over the phone. Do Turkish Men on the whole take Women seriously and concentrate on the message rather than the messenger?

From what I've seen, in Turkey, female sales people are preferred, especially when selling to men. In the cases I've seen businesses often look for women sales people. That was in Izmir, and Izmir is quite a bit more westernized than other cities.

As far as a Turkish Dun and Bradstreet, I haven't seen one but I assume one exists.  Each region (and cities) have various chambers of commerce which list their members. They list the businesses rather than the individuals, but that will give you some leads. I'll look into this further for you and see if I can tell you where to find the chambers of commerce.

Hello Amber, welcome to our forum.

Turkey's best recruitment field is to publish your vacancy through "kariyet.net" website which is the most popular one. You would probably end up having hundreds of application in a short term which you might struggle to read them all through.

With respect to the business field of the companies, you may refer to chamber of commerce's websites (despite of not all the content written in English lang.). For instance, in my city you may list the company names according to their group of profession. 

DEAD LINK

Plus, we have some solid networks in Izmir Chamber of Commerce where we can introduce and consult you if your intention is to run a business in/related with Izmir. 

Best, 

Ken and Eglegal. Wow, many thanks for your help. I certainly have some great links there in regards to recruitment and your comments on Female sales staff Ken makes sense and puts my mind at ease somewhat.

I suppose what I'm looking for maybe an upmarket kitchen company or the equivalent in some other field of direct sales that makes outbound calls to well off members of the public rather than business to business.

Wherever they buy their data/leads from will be a good place to start. Their must be lists of Doctors, Dentists, Lawyers, Bankers..... Just about any profession in fact, for sale somewhere.

I cant believe Turkey would miss out on such an opportunity to make money selling data as just about every other country recognizes this information as a valuable commodity.

If anyone knows someone running a direct telemarketing company or working for one, perhaps they could ask where the contacts come from.

Working from the phone book is sole destroying unless your selling something everyone needs and can afford. But for exclusive golf club membership, private members gentlemen's clubs or Yacht sales it simply wont work. You need good lists.

Once again many thanks.