Do Children Born in Turkey Get Turkish Citizenship?

Rate this topic

Ghaith

Can you give a little more information please?   I'm guessing both parents are foreigners & don't have Turkish citizenship (?).  So you must first register the birth at your Consulate & obtain a passport for the child.

I've never heard of a child obtaining citizenship by birth (well, not in Turkey anyway), but I can't be sure, and certainly never heard of parents getting citizenship through their child ! eek%5B1%5D.gif  I hope one of the forum's lawyers comes forward soon to answer this question, as I'm sure we'd all like to know. :)

Hello guys, Well, I have some what similar question in mind, as my little daughter being a Turkish citizen, now lives in Turkey with my ex who is again a Turkish citizen . Wondering if I would be able to get a Residency being a father or at some stage Turkish Citizenship ? I would really appreciate to hear on..

• 3 weeks later...

My daughter was born in Turkey about a year ago. We are both foreigners (meaning her parents). She has no right to Turkish citizenship, and she was supposed to have her Residence Permit before she was 6 months old, of course we needed to get her passport and birth report from our own country first. We took too long to name her, so now I must leave Turkey and reenter and pay a small fine for her overstaying. In four more years from now I hope to apply and gain dual Turkish citizenship myself as the mother, and then my daughter will qualify for citizenship being that she is a minor and one of her parents is Turkish. What I've learned is the only way for a child to qualify for Turkish citizenship is if one of the parents is Turkish or if she cannot acquire the foreign citizenship(s) of her parents' country(ies) and was born in Turkey or came to Turkey as a minor.  

If you check this link http://www.mondaq.com/x/380636/general+immigration/Acquisition+Of+Turkish+Citizenship it outlines the conditions for a foreigner to obtain Turkish citizenship.  You will be able to apply at the appropriate time after completing 5 years' residence, but nowhere does it say that your minor children will be included.  Your daughter will have to apply in her own right after she turns 18, so she would need to subsist on residence permits until then.  I advise you to verify this information with an immigration lawyer..... Good luck! :)

It's a little hard to tell from the English if it includes the minor child: 'Children, whose guardianship belongs to a mother and father that had acquired Turkish citizenship, can acquire Turkish citizenship on the date of parent's acquisition, provided that other spouse gives consent.'

Eruza, I think you may be right after all!  Upon reading your post, I remembered what happened with my daughter; it was the reverse of your scenario. 

Having dual citizenship, she was to take the foreign students' university entrance exam, but we found that she had to be a "foreign" student only... ie. NOT have Turkish citizenship.  The only way around it was to take her out of Turkish citizenship, but because she was only 17 at the time, the authorities wouldn't allow this unless her father opted out of citizenship along with her, which he did.  This was back in 2007. (They both reapplied some 3 years later & got back in).

My point is that Turkey won't leave your child "out in the cold all alone", so to speak.  So if they accept you for citizenship, they would likely accept your minor children (I hope).  But of course it would be nice to have this all confirmed officially --- why not ask at your local Nüfus office?  They were the ones who explained the legalities of the procedure to us at the time.  Good luck! smile.png